Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 20-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
BrownDog

Car: 1997 BA "The Red Baron"
A guide to giving your car a little more "FLASH"

need some thoughts on a guide im writing for a job interview at a local community centre as a automotive educator to help young P-platers have a safe modified car so what you think??
also might be handy for some of you less electronically savvy readers

For some of you guys perfromance isnt everything. You may want you car to stand out from the crowd, Dazzle, Wow and just look awesome.
You may do this with huge plastic bodykits and ridiculously low suspension and camber so that its like a razor scooter with spark pedal held on! Another way is with insane stereos that cause alarms to go off and body panels to de-form and fall off.
One more subtle way to is to add some pretty lights that will make people stop and stare!

Now most people will add a single colour strip to the footwell, the grille or around their stereo, but to really add some Zazz to your ride install a few RGB strips around the car, add some switches to control the colour, and with some clever wiring have it flash, fade and dance to whatever your listening!!

One way to do this is with a cheap LED controller with a sound sensor, however these are generally too sensitive and really only flash. The way im now going to teach you will be more advanced and guaranteed to make your friends wanna ride in the "party car"

What you need:
A car [DUHH !]
LED strips [can be any type, length and as many as you want]
A Stereo System [one with a subwoofer amp is better]
Some wires and tools
A switch or two
And a refrshing beverage to have while you work

Step 1:
Open your beverage and have a drink and walk around the car wondering where to start

Step 2:
Start attatching wires to the LED strips [the ones I used have a Common 12v rail and individual ground for each colour] just attach enough wire to reach where you want the on/off switch and where you plan to put colour switches [if you dont have RGB strips, just enough to reach a ground point]

Step 3:
Mount your strips where you want them and run the wires to where they need to be, making sure to tuck/hide them away so they dont get caught on anything and/or broken

Step 4:
[if you dont plan to have changing colours ignore this!]
Install three switches somewhere accessible and attatch the individual colour wires to them [I recommend a red, green and a blue switch to change colours easier] I put mine in front of my gearstick and below my ashtray

like so:

three colour switches for the obvious, the chrome rocker switch is to switch between dance mode and just on and the single red one is the master on/off

heres a diagram on how to wire it:

Step 5:
Install the On/Off switch somewhere accessible and attatch the 12v wire to the srips

Step 6:
Have some more of your beverage, make a sandwhich, watch a bit of tv

Step 7:
Run a wire from a positive output of the speaker output of the sub amp attatch to the On/Off switch

Step 8:
Put on some DOOF DOOF, Turn it up, Flip the switch and Dance!!
It Should look like this:
View My Video

NOTE:
If you use quite a few LED's it cant cause your stereo to distort from the power requirements, so u can do as I have and get your hands on a really cheap, crappy sub amp capable of a few Watt's and just use that for the LED's

The Red Baron

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
My Madza 323 Goes...
SSSSSSSSTUUTUUTUU

Last edited by BrownDog; 20-01-2014 at 12:54 AM.
BrownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links