Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 03-03-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
MarkyMark

Should I run new speaker wire?

Greetings fine people,

I'm planning on popping my sony HU and new pioneer 6 1/2 speakers in the front of my BG this weekend. I have 2 questions.

1) What is the general consensus on re-using the existing speaker wire? Is there any point in running new wire to the front doors?

2) Is there a post anywere or does anyone know what the layout of the stock BG wiring harnesses are? I haven't pulled appart and looked yet but I'm led to believe there are 2 factory plugs, has anyone mapped out which wire is which?

Thanks heaps champs.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
Your speakers will work with the standard wiring and you probably will not notice much of a difference, but as awith all things you have to match the quality of everything. If you replace the wiring with good stuff you can be sure that sound quality will not be lost and you will get full enjoyment out of your new headunit / speakers

..... of course this is all coming from someone who uses the stardard head unit and has a pair of speakers from a hifi in the boot. LOL

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
ezin
AstinaGT Regular

The standard wiring is pretty good! just solder and heat shrink all the connections! A bit of it is current handling but mosty the silicone shielding that prevents magnetic interference is the main benifit! Unless ur going to spend a couple of grand on the speakers, i wouldnt worry about it! A lot of time its just for looks! If u do re-wire the sys, keep all the new cables away from any other wiring thats the key!
ezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:23 AM   #4
Zed
SQL SP20

Car: 2003 323 Astina SP20
Unless the existing wire is frayed or not continuous somewhere, I wouldn't bother running new wire.

HUs will put out 10-12W RMS per channel which the stock wiring will handle without any problems.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
topherSP

In the SP with the graphic equaliser there are two plugs, although I'm not sure if the standard stereo is the same. One plug has four wires, and these are for the back speakers, and the other has seven. From memory, there are three on the left hand side in a row, and two of these are power (one battery one accesories), and the third is (I think) to do with the light cicruit. The four together on the right hand side are for the front speakers.
topherSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
MarkyMark

Thanks topherSP, that's a great starting point for me for this weekend's attempt at putting the HU in. I'll post up if it's the same for the non-SP once I finish the job.

I discovered much to my displeasure on the weekend that none of the holes in the pioneer speakers I just bought line up with the three holes that the stock speakers used, so I had to make up an adaptor plate, but now the speaker sits out too far and the door trim will touch it if I put it back on. So I have drilled new holes in the door and will try screwing the speaker directly to the door this weeknd. Oh the joy of a 5 minute job.

As an asside, and please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but if you wire a speaker in with the terminals the wrong way around will it not work at all, or will it still work? Cause I'm not sure which wire was the +ve and -ve with the existing wires, but the one new speaker I have hooked up seems to be working ok, does this mean I guessed correctly or would it work either way around?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:19 PM   #7
Zed
SQL SP20

Car: 2003 323 Astina SP20
The speakers will work regardless of which way you wire them up, however if you get the + and - hooked up the wrong way on one of the speakers, then your speakers will be out of phase with each other.

If the speakers are out of phase with each other, then you often get poor bass response and a diffuse sound that appears to come from both speakers, whereas speakers in phase should focus the sound to a point in between the speakers (ie centre of your dash).
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
MarkyMark

Cheers, Thanks Zed, so as long as I hook both of them up the same way it should be cool. I figured it would be something like that, just wasn't sure if hooking them up the wrong way around woudl damage the speaker at all.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:13 AM   #9
andrewgrazier

BE warned
replacing the head unit might take you a lot longer than expected
I bought a alpine single head unit only to find that the unit is actually larger (wider) than the original one. the original one is the standard width but thats almost one inch back from the face plate
its single width din for where the brackets to hold it in are!
as for speaker wireing
god no that would take a year to do!!
andrewgrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2004, 08:28 AM   #10
scollinguk

Send a message via MSN to scollinguk
as a standard guide, the existing wiring in all cars is good for up to about 100w rms, after that you can start losing quality on the bass end of the spectrum (especially with hiphop etc), so after running 100w rms i always run new wiring, but as you will guess over 100w rms on a set of fronts is unusual anyway (unless your like me and run a 3 way comp set at 250w rms).
scollinguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2004, 01:27 PM   #11
MarkyMark

Thanks dudes,

I did have a wee bit of grief getting the sony HU to fit into the hole left by the stock unit, but width didn't seem to be a problem. I just have an ugly gap above the new HU now cause the stock one was taller than the new one. When I get inspired enough I'll figure out a way to fill in the gap - anyone know if you can buy that cool imitation-look wood panneling stuff anywhere?

The new speakers are in and sound much better than the old ones, but to be honest I thought they would sound a bit better than they do, especially in the bassier end of things (granted they are only 6 1/2 inch co-axial's but I still had slightly higher expectations). I had the same HU in my pulsar with the stock 5" clarrion speakers and I think it sounded a bit better. Never mind, I might have to play with some sound proofing or something of the doors cause I get a little bit of rattling now if I crank them up. I might change the rear speakers too, I know most people reckon you only really hear the fronts and the rears are just for fill but it feels like somethings lacking back there now that I just use the front ones.

Anyway, cheers to all who helped out with their respective $0.02 worth