Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 14-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
Project: BA/KJ Cruise....

OK This is a project that's only just in the infancy, and rather than keep it to myself I'll post about it so that it benefits of objective feedback.

In short the goal is to add cruise control to the Lynx, but without using one of those tacky looking kits, and getting the controls on the steering wheel and lights on the dash etc. So a factory install is the only option.

Unfortunately I can't find any information about factory cruise on the BA's or the KJ's so I started hunting through the rest of the range.

It turns out that the Lynx (with dual airbags in 1994) used the same steering wheel as the later BAs and 626/MX6s when they went airbag equipped. This also explains why at a later point in the KJs life you could get as part of an option pack a leather wrapped wheel with airbag. It was simply the MX6 unit.

So while looking at steering wheel options from the MX6 I noticed cruise switches fitted and this got me thinking. I'd done something like this before (ref: http://www.neon-owners.org/neon/tech...ruise_rhd.html) and it wasn't hard. Obviously the BP26 ECU doesn't have the smarts to control cruise, but it doesn't matter becuase all the Mazdas of that era run a standalone controller for the cruise! w00t!

So I started trawling MX6.com and dug up more info on the system. It uses a dash mounted ON/OFF switch, one that thanks to Mazda will fit in with the Demist and Fog-light switches on Stinky, plus the steering column switches for operation. There's a control unit, wiring loom and actuator and that's it!

This all sounds great as it shows the setup is standalone, sure it may take a speed reading off the ECU, and wire up to the cluster for indicator lights, but on the whole it's standalone.

Then I started looking for parts - I figure based on my 2000 precedent spending about USD200 would be my maximum, certainly it seems like a reasonable price and is reflective of the cost of an aftermarket unit fitted here.

The Findings:
  • Control Box: Available - they sell for about USD30 each
  • Dash Switches: About USD15 for the "Main Switch"
  • Wheel Switches: About USD20 for these, but quality varies - some are heavily worn
  • Wiring: None found - would need at least the plug into the control box and the plug for the actuator to be neat. Rest of the 15 odd wire loom could be made
  • Actuator: Not many of these about but it would appear that they're about USD20-30 also.

Now I've missed something important - the clockspring - this carries the control signal for the cruise, the airbag trigger and the horn controls from teh steering wheel tot eh wiring in the steering column. I couldn't source a used one online, and Mazda it woudl seem is asking mega $$$ for them in the US. I will have to do more checking as this shouldn't be an expensive part.

So anyway our budget of USD200 seems reasonable, and I can keep the existing wheel I've got or upgrade to leather. Ultimately through rather than sourcing from US wreckers I would rather buy the parts from a wreck in AU, and get the MX6 Clockspring and wiring as well.

What about wiring?

Well mroe on that in the next post

A.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
skitz
I'm not as dumb as my posts would indicate

Car: astina ba 97
Send a message via MSN to skitz
nice man keep us up to date as if u do a group buy or sumthink simular u know i am in:P

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Wakefield Park: 1:14.8100

skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Aaron
Stiff Member

well at the moment I've tracked down all the parts required in the USA and should be getting hold of them in a few weeks - got to know a guy who basically is chasing it all down for me for not too much $$$ which is good.

A.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
skitz

quick question though and dont laugh

isnt the us in miles

so if this cruise system get the speed from the computer etc whats to say it wont be like:

car computer 60kms
cruise 60 mph

ie it will set the speed at 100kms

or is it a none digital system? where u set speed by acheving that speed and just setting it there?

thanks aaron.

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Old 13-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
sweet mod! have you got a picture of what the MX6 wheel looks liek with the switches in it?

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
Aaron
Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitz
quick question though and dont laugh
isnt the us in miles

so if this cruise system get the speed from the computer etc whats to say it wont be like:

car computer 60kms
cruise 60 mph

ie it will set the speed at 100kms

or is it a none digital system? where u set speed by acheving that speed and just setting it there?
Not a stupid question. The US does use miles, however in my experience this only causes a bit of weirdness when you use the "+" or "-" buttons with a single press. They typically are set up to get a 1-2mph increase/decrease and obvioulsy that translates to 1.5-3km/h.

The actual signals used are digital and all the cruise unit does is operate the throttle in resonse to changes in vehicle speed.

The speed sensors in the MX6 and the Astina and both electronic and as such there's no real problems there. We know they're essentially compatible due to the similarities between the v6 Astina and the mx6/626 platform.

pr1mo, I'll get a pic of the setup and link it up. Keep in mind I'm still waiting for all this gear to come in. But the theory is sound, and it will be unique.

A.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
Aaron
Stiff Member

Time for an Update: 6th March 07

Well the parts have arrived from the USA and the news is all good really.

First of all I'll give you an idea of what I ended up sourcing:
  • Cruise Computer
  • Cruise Switches (Dash and Wheel)
  • Clockspring (Airbag compatible)
  • Cruise Actuator
  • Brake Switch
  • Throttle pedal assembly
  • Wiring tails for all above
  • Assorted attached bits

It was bought from one guy in the US who included a very neat wiring diagram in colour as well. Cost was USD150 landed and that's a damn good price compared with picking things up piece by piece.

Now here's the brake down:
The Cruise system is mostly independent of the BA/KJ wiring and management system. It ties in at a couple of points however. These are:
  • Brake pedal switch (our switch is OK and wiring needs to be added to the connector only)
  • Clutch Switch (wiring to be added to connector)
  • Instrument Cluster (Speed Signal and the CRUISE SET indicator light)
  • Dash Loom (Main On/Off switch needs power and illumination feed)
  • Power/Ground for the Computer
The speed signals are compatible! And the rest is basically join the dots.

But!!!!
In the US system the actuator (bit vacuum mechanical device that pretends to be your foot) pulls on a lever under the accerator pedal. Now that doesn't seem like much of a problem except there's no fitting for it on a Aussie (or Jap spec) BA/KJ. I don't know if the pedalassemblies will swap yet. The other issue is that the Actuator is big, and my not neatly fit close enough to use that kind of setup. My fallback is to simply use the actuator to pull directly on the throttle body end of things, or check out how it's done on a RHD (Aussie MX6/626) and copy that setup as they're electrically the same.

So there we have it, I need about 1-2m of 5 core cable, and I'm in the business of whipping up my own loom once I set the mounting location for the Cruise Computer. Oh and a new buld for the Cluster to activate the "Cruise Set" light, and a new bulb for the main switch "Cruise On" function as it's blown. Honestly if things go well Stinky will have working Mazda cruise in place for the National Meet!

Just remember you read about it here first on AGT

And yes there will be pics of everything.

And yes Skitz, once we've got it sussed on Stinky we'll talk about doing it on your car!

A.
Old 25-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
Aaron
Stiff Member

Astina/Protege Cruise wiring diagram has been obtained! No real difference to the MX6 cruise setup so all is looking very very good.

Also for the fans out there some pics of the parts...

The Wheel Switches

The Main Switch

The Brake pedal Switch

The Computer that ties it all together

The Vacuum servo that controls the throttle (Mx6 type)

The Steering Wheel Clock Spring (Mx6 Type)

A.

Last edited by Aaron; 25-03-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Aaron
Stiff Member

Mounting point for the Servo has been determined to be in the location currently occupied by the Charcol canistor. We'll relocate teh canister to be more behidn the battery and moutn the servo in it's place.

This necessitates a longer servo cable but just about any thottle cable will work - I'll just take th old one to a wrecker and say "mate I need one 2 foot longer than this"

A.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
skitz

nice work man keep us posted i am very eager to see how this turns out and i am first on the list if u do a group buy :P

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Old 06-04-2007, 05:10 AM   #11
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Bro If you want an original Mazda - not ford but mazda clock spring with indicator and wipers etc the whole lot I think they have the airbag bit as well.
I have some in a box Brand new - yes I knwo they are worth in the hundereds but maybe you and me can do a deal, I'm not really looking at making profit on them. I know a couple are sedans and one is hatch as the wiper obit on it let me know. I'll get photo's if you want
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Oh the fun involved moving the wires around behind the air bag