Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Motorsports

Old 11-09-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
SehnKhan

Car: .
Michael Schumacher Retires!

Schumacher retires from Formula One
The big news Post Monza 2006:

Quote:
MONZA, Italy (AP) - Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher announced his retirement from Formula One on Sunday.

The Ferrari driver will leave the sport at the end of this season, following the year-ending Brazilian Grand Prix on Oct. 22.
"Michael Schumacher will retire from race driving at the end of the 2006 world championship," Ferrari said in a statement released immediately after Schumacher won Sunday's Italian Grand Prix.

The 37-year-old Schumacher will retire with every major record in Formula One. His seven titles are two more than Juan Manuel Fangio's five and he trails Fernando Alonso by only two points in this season's standings with three races remaining.

Schumacher won his first two titles with the Benetton team in 1994 and '95, then restored Ferrari to prominence with five consecutive championships from 2000-04.

Schumacher showed signs of vulnerability when he won the 2003 title by only two points over McLaren-Mercedes' Kimi Raikkonen.

The German responded with another dominant year in 2004, though, winning a record 12 of the first 13 races.

Alonso ended Schumacher's title run last year, as Schumacher and Ferrari struggled to adapt to rule changes intended to stop their dominance.

Ferrari attributed the problems to its Bridgestone tires. Schumacher won only one race, the United States GP that only six drivers contested due to safety concerns with rival Michelin tires.

Quote:
Schumacher retirement confirmed

Seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher will retire from Formula One at the end of the season.

Ferrari issued two statements, one confirming Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa as drivers next season and another revealing the retirement of the sport's most successful driver.
Schumacher, who won Sunday's Italian Grand Prix, will not necessarily leave Ferrari, with the team statement revealing a 'new role' will be revealed shortly.

Schumacher said: "Words are not enough and whatever I could say now will never fully express how much I love this fascinating world of motorsport and all it has given me.

"From go-karting to Formula One I have lived through moments that I will never forget."

Schumacher's win at Monza was his 90th in Formula One and brings him within two points of championship leader Fernando Alonso as he chases an unprecedented eighth world title.

Schumacher said on ITV: "You have to savour the moment and find the right moment.

"This will be my last Monza race. At the end of this year I have decided I am going to retire from racing.

"This has been an exceptional time for me. Motorsport has given me some amazing moments.

"I have loved every single moment, the good and bad ones. Those make life so special.

"To finish in style has been fantastic."
SehnKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
oh bugger, he was my favourite in F1 - no one even comes close to being a crowd favourite like he does. cya schuy!
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
rejy

Car: 95ba
Send a message via MSN to rejy Send a message via Yahoo to rejy
Rats another nation wide hero leaves us!!, in a different way though.
rejy is offline   Reply With Quote