Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 22-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
Front driving lights/spotlights

Went down to supercheap today and picked up some new driving lights for the astina today. i'm gonna install them tomorrow in place of the fogs the previous owner fitted. they should make up for the dull headlights, they look like bright parkers . the new lights fit the holes in the standard astina front bar with around a 7mm clearance around them. i reckon they should look pretty good judging by the trail fit i did today, at least a lot better than the pod style fogs..

the problem (there always is one ) they are 55W lights, dad mentioned that it might not be legal to drive with them on in residential zones, like high beam really (i wouldnt think they are that bright though). does anyone here know if this is true?

oh, for anyone in brissie wanting fog lights, the ones i'll be pulling off both work, one has cracked glass though..
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 22-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
newman
Banned

Car: KF Laser fwd BPT
In NSW, there is no law saying when you can and can't use high beams... its just a common curtosy thing, however, this may be different in QLD.
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I don't see the problem.
At residential speeds you shouldn't need them.
Old 22-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
DavoAust

yeah my main problem is on the highway and when i'm in the backstreets through the bush. basically i should have no problems with these right? as long as i'm not annoying other drivers?

oh, can a mod delete the other thread, my net went weird when i clicked submit, it made 2 threads somehow tks

Ps. highway issue is late night around 1-2, no other cars and its dark, almost hit a rogue koala a couple of days ago, thats why i bought these
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT

Last edited by DavoAust; 22-06-2007 at 06:24 PM. Reason: the P.S.
Old 22-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Plutonus

Car: Traitor vehicle
Police will usually classify anythign below normal lights as "fog lights", which are illegal to use unless its foggy. I however, have never been pulled over in darkish conditions where I feel the standard lights do not light up enough.
Old 22-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Police can be a law unto themselves. Some officers interpret laws differently depending on their mood or quotas (Yes plod quotas do exist despite your half assed denials). If in doubt ensure that the officer writes a full description of the offence on your ticket but don't be a smartass.
Old 22-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
DavoAust

so basically if i only use them when i really need them (they won't be wired into the high beam, they can work with low beams too) i should be fine..

thanks for the all information. i looked at the depart. of transport and it didnt mention lights that weren't fog lights or extra high beam ones, unless they class these as high beam

if i really wanted to piss someone off now i could flick a couple of switchs and blind them.. next time a hoon does a burnout in front of me (why does it always seem to be commodores). too bad we cant have blue/red flashing lights too

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT

Last edited by DavoAust; 22-06-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: correction
Old 22-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoAust View Post
if i really wanted to piss someone off now i could flick a couple of switchs and blind them.. next time a hoon does a burnout in front of me (why does it always seem to be commodores). too bad we cant have blue/red flashing lights too
The last halfwit in a V8 Commodore who pulled off a stupid move in front of me had red and blue lights. Believe me I ensured that the driver knew I wasn't impressed by there irresponsible actions.
I don’t recommend that you ever do the same but this plod needed to know that a Commodore is no match to a Demio.
Old 22-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #9
DavoAust

lol what did you do to the poor bugger..
last dumb thing someone did around me was 2 skylines dragging each other down wynnum road (i was doing 70, they screamed past).. so satisfying to pass them pulled a km further on, the front one with a shattered bar from where it had clipped a new traffic island from the road works.. i laughed all the way home

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 22-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

I drove the biggest Mazda 2 ever seen
Old 22-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #11
newman
Banned

'Fog lights' are lights with a yellow or amber tinge... lights they are the 'normal' colour that are say below your normal headlights are quite legal. they are so you can see broader right in front of the car. i can't see how you could get fined for these, provided they aren't of 'high beam' brightness or brighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude View Post
I don't see the problem.
At residential speeds you shouldn't need them.
mate, if i feel that my lights are not showing everything i want to see i put my high beams on regardless of speed and/or location be it suburbia or out on the highway (provided there are no on comming vehicles).... How can you say that you shouldn't need bright lights a 'residential speeds'.
Old 22-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #12
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
mate, if i feel that my lights are not showing everything i want to see i put my high beams on regardless of speed and/or location be it suburbia or out on the highway (provided there are no on comming vehicles).... How can you say that you shouldn't need bright lights a 'residential speeds'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
(provided there are no on comming vehicles)....
That's a big caveat but I rarely use high beams. Maybe the drivers focus should be on the road not what's playing on the ICE
Old 22-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
DavoAust

maybe you need to be in my car cosmo. with just my normal lights, not high beam at highway speed i can see maybe 40m clearly and after that just reflectors. at normal speed for me is an issue too, i drive the backstreets home a lot, mostly as its a nicer drive and less traffic. its still very difficult to see and i would prefer more time to see things ahead (koala, broken down car). thats what i'm hoping these lights will do. they shouldnt be high beam bright, but still be better than my normal lights alone.

are dull lights a common problem with the astinas? or is it just me?

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 22-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #14
newman
Banned

whats ICE (in car entertainment)got to do with it? i didn't say anything about ICE.

If you decide not to use your highbeams, im not going to tell you do. I figure if you got them, use them. Why disadvantage youself if you don't have to.

hell, i even use my spotlights in residential areas if there are no on comming cars. in which i turn them off and back on once they've gone past

Last edited by newman; 22-06-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 22-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #15
DavoAust

i personally think the high beams are overkill, i just want a little more light not to light up half the town .

plus i have all the wiring from the fogs in already, all i have to do is unscrew the fogs and plugin the new lights. i wired it all up originally so that i could use the fogs once the lights were on, high beam or low. the fogs are pretty much useless for brissie and these should make a decent difference

ps. mine are smaller than those, they fit in the front bar without any cutting

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT

Last edited by DavoAust; 22-06-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: ps..
Old 22-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #16
newman
Banned

yeah, mine are only wired up to work with high beams, but its the same principle
Old 23-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #17
mike_d87
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina
Have you had headlight adjustment checked? not just against a wall but with a proper machine like what any workshop should have.
mike_d87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #18
Plutonus

Car: Traitor vehicle
I had mine done properly and light is still ****. Design fault I daresay.
Old 25-06-2007, 12:46 AM   #19
DavoAust

havent had it done professionally seeing as the adjustors are farked.. will have it done if anyone knows how to fix them ??

new lights are in. bright as, kick the low beams ass, minor competition for the high beams. no problems with seeing now, used them on the highway coming home tonight. they also fill the fog light hole in the front bar perfectly after i made some brackets to mount them on. (after fking up the first one, 2 more holes in the front bar ) look good with the quality and brightness to match.

oh, in response to the legality issues, our friends xr6 has similar lights (albiet smaller) that are automatic with the low beams, neighbours holden has them too. i'm gonna assume it must be legal for them to be factory fitted like that so my setup should be good too (stuff the cops, as long as i dont beam them they wont notice them)

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 25-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #20
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
the xr6s are fog lights and do sweet fa hahaha i used them driving to and from stanthrope...in dark did nothing...

legally in qld we can use our highbeams when ever we want as long as there is no in front of you of 200m or closer...

also on the XRs they do not automatically come on with low beams...only do if you have them set to on...you can have headlights on with outthem on...

Last edited by bourbon; 25-06-2007 at 02:56 PM.
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote