Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 19-12-2003, 03:27 PM   #1
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA '97 Astina
Ouch... quotes for suspension

Well the 2nd owner mysteries have come back to haunt me. Moral of the story, get the suspension checked out for any lowered car. It seems the previous owner decided to take a few $hortcut$ with the addition of 17" and lowering the car without buying good shocks... i.e. welding the springs to the struts?? WTF..., ontop of this the shocks of my 97 astina gotta be changed as well for the 100K mileage. Wheel alignment was way outta whack and i got 2 degree camber on my front left tire? perfect for wakefield park it seems, yay for right handers ;p Also lateral control arms are bent to hell at the back from what seems to be a previous impact. So... a pedders $14 suspension check and free wheel alignment (at hornsby pedders- special deal), turned out to be a little more expensive than previously thought.

But in a way it's a good chance to get a kickass suspension setup. Any recommendations? i read the whiteline 323 astina kit thingo, but there ain't no kits for sale like that as far as i know, got quoted for 2.6K all up for shocks, springs, camber kit, castor kit, brushes, rear sway, front sway, labour etc. thought it was pretty decent cos the guy did a works kit for my friends s13 and it turned out grippy like hell.

Any thoughts guys/gals?

Also, a buddy of mine and a select few are starting up 'circuit club' a website dedicated to organising track days and race related things that i'll post up later so keep an eye out. Anyone know anything about camera mounts? ;p thanks in advance
Old 19-12-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
sik astina

Car: Ba 1.8L Turbo astina
Send a message via MSN to sik astina
Whiteline have whole suspension packages. Heres Mal's car. It handles like a dream. Got all the bits from whiteline.

http://www.astinagt.com/whiteline.html

-Mick
Old 20-12-2003, 01:32 AM   #3
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Thats weird, guy i asked about it said there was no kit for astina... :?

i'll ring around ta
Old 20-12-2003, 07:37 AM   #4
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
Theres no 'package' as such for the 94-98 Astina. Just order the parts listed on that article and you get virtually the same thing that comes in the kits.

I think 2.6K is a bit steep. I had my shocks and springs replaced recently for 1200 (KYB gas shocks, lovell lowering springs, labour). I also have a strut brace and rear sway bar which cost no more the $300 and fitted them myself. The front sway is very hard to replace - most dont bother.

Ask a few other suspension places and get compartive pricing. What sort of shocks/springs are you looking at.
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2003, 09:51 AM   #5
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
yeah cosmic rod got koni yellows installed for $500 an end! dont ask me how but i woulda gotten them for that price

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2003, 10:01 AM   #6
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Didn't pay for instal of shocks as I was having springs done when Konis' had to be added so it was done as part of the larger job. Konis cost $520 (close enough to $500).

Rod
Old 20-12-2003, 11:40 AM   #7
JynX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1mo
yeah cosmic rod got koni yellows installed for $500 an end! dont ask me how but i woulda gotten them for that price

cheers mike
Yeah thats right, the konis are 250 are corner plus installation.

I paid 180 a corner for the KYBs.
Old 20-12-2003, 01:56 PM   #8
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I didn't have the choice of KYB. The place I went to only did Koni and Pedders (choice was easy)
IMO the KYB are a little too hard and the adjustability of the Koni is worth the extra. Wish I had another $500 to do the front at the same time I'm sure if I've busted one the rest couldn't be too far behind.

Outlay so far is:
King springs $155 per pair front and rear
Koni shocks $260 per corner
Whiteline rear swaybar $190
Whiteline strutbrace $190
Wheel alignment $50-$70
Labour.... Ask your local dealer but is more economical if you get it all done at once. :wink:

Result

If I get around to fitting Konis to the front I will also put in the camber pins $80-$100 and Caster bushes $??? and yet another wheel alignment :roll:

Rod
Old 22-12-2003, 01:40 AM   #9
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Thanks for the input guys, i'll have to take it in early january for a closer look and hopefully cheaper pricing. A lot of it is for labour, i.e. me having no access to tools or workshop or even the confidence to do it myself ;p

Also with the case of the ride height of the car, apparently the new springs will drop the car 35mm from stock, but i have no idea how far my car has been dropped already cos of the whole dodgy job. I'm riding on 215/45/17's and was wondering if anybody had that same tire dimensions and suspension setup and could tell me if it looks fine and sexy.

I'll post back about which springs, but as far as i know they're adjustable koni's, and type up the list of things :shock: but daaaamn it'll feel good. Used to bottom out like crazy and funny thing was i jacked the car up and the wheels only followed after about 30cm lift. According to Cosmo Dude's previous post, 2600 does sound acceptable, since a few little doodads haven't been added, probably a lot of labour just to fix the old setup.

Thanks for the info
Old 22-12-2003, 07:45 AM   #10
JynX

Leannes car is 2" low (~50mm) with 17" rims with a 215/40R17 (i think). 35mm is roughly 1.5". Get the 2" springs Your 215/45 will fill the gaurd out a little more but will sit higher with the 1.5" springs (Probably about 10mm higher in the guards). If your getting new shocks, the ride is very very nice although you do feel the odd deep pot hole here and there. Nothing which cant be avoided with a bit of carefull driving. At high speeds, my car sits nice n flat and feels great (I have much the same setup as leanne but no pics of my car after i got the springs/shocks done) and also have uprated rear sway, front strut and nolethane sway bushings. Wouldnt mind camber/caster kits but I have priorities (vroooom vrooom psshhht).

Old 22-12-2003, 11:35 AM   #11
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

2" is bare minimum looks wise and offers a healthy balance of both looks and performance.

i have the same setup as leanne except i have KYB shocks and i have to say that the ride is great

best of luck with the purchases in the new year and let us all know how it goes!

cheers mike
Old 22-12-2003, 11:42 AM   #12
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Are your KYB's gas as well mike?

AP

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2003, 06:15 PM   #13
sik astina

doesnt that look hot :P
Old 22-12-2003, 06:27 PM   #14
sik astina

Jynx
Quote:
At high speeds, my car sits nice n flat and feels great (I have much the same setup as leanne but no pics of my car after i got the springs/shocks done)
You didn't put pics up of yours coz Leanne's is lower and you like it ..|.. :mrgreen: j/k mate!

Smikey,
Quote:
Also with the case of the ride height of the car, apparently the new springs will drop the car 35mm from stock, but i have no idea how far my car has been dropped already cos of the whole dodgy job. I'm riding on 215/45/17's and was wondering if anybody had that same tire dimensions and suspension setup and could tell me if it looks fine and sexy.
yeh im riding on 215/45's/R17. it looks real nice. fills the guards abit more and its a smooth ride. Leanne's car was my height before I went lower (just a month ago.) She now has my old springs.

-Mick
Old 22-12-2003, 09:17 PM   #15
Critter

Car: SP20
For the complete package fitted, $2600 sounds about right to me.

I can't wipe the smile off my face every time I drive mine after something similar.

The more you drive, the more you like.
Whiteline 'package' any way you describe it....RULES!!
Adjustable lowered suspension with monster brakes
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2003, 11:37 PM   #16
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Awesome, shame can't book in till early january cos of the christmas rush, but never fear, i'll take some pictures before and after (perhaps my car will even be raised a little *shock* *horror*)

Thanks for the feedback, pray there's no deeper damage
Old 23-12-2003, 12:41 AM   #17
pr1mo

adam, yeah gas shocks....or at least the boxes in my garage say so!