Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 06-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Fro-Daddy

Send a message via MSN to Fro-Daddy
Exclamation SP20 Turbo kit

hey all, new here, just wondering if there are any bolt on turbo kits for the SP20? if not, what size turbo is best suited to the engine for street use?

ive looked on the greddy site, greenline, mohd parts and a few others n came up with nothing...so any help is appreciated

ta
Fro-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
goldsp
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 04 wrx
Send a message via MSN to goldsp
yeh i there is two companies that do a kit for the sp20. someone else will tell you more .

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbgar...do=view&id=799
goldsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
www.msprotege.com. look in the forced induction section.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
You guys are farken useless. Look at www.hiboost.com http://www.mentaladdictionmotorsports.com and www.protegegarage.com (if you want to get stuffed around...).

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
anton

Send a message via MSN to anton
lol... go Gav
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:35 AM   #6
Fro-Daddy

haha thanx man, that hiboost looks nice, might look into it!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro-Daddy
haha thanx man, that hiboost looks nice, might look into it!
I'd say to do it properly though, you'd be looking at the "other" things hiboost suggest like forged pistons, and a whole lot of reinforcing going on...my best bet would be at least 10k all up if you don't want the car to fall apart.
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
chicaboo

Exhaust, rods and clutch is really the only thing he needs to do that's not in the kit. But the rods aren't necessary until you go over 8psi, which is good for 180kW (135kW) ATW anyway... I'm retarded and can't find the website for Street Dreams, but you could have a look for them, they used to import the HiBoost kit, but I'm not sure they do anymore, and the kit has been revised twice since they had it advertised...

Gav.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #9
bradsp20
AstinaGT Regular

Car: sp20
Send a message via MSN to bradsp20
wish i had turbo
bradsp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:55 PM   #10
Fro-Daddy

the street dreams kit doesnt exist anymore really...its nowhere on their site at all...

on google it comes up with the link also, but when you click it says it isnt there...

the kit is AU5k, what you reckon shipping would be? install can mostly be done myself...maybe just oil and water lines i need someone else to do...
Old 08-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #11
chicaboo

I would've thought the oil and cooler lines were the easiest part. If you get the US kit you need to get a Haltech R8 or something to adjust the ignition I think, I understand it's to retard the timing so you don't detonate on our ****ty fuel at 8psi... I think you also need to decide which ECU you get with the turbo if you go that way, Haltech E6K or F10X are you options there, E6K being the better of the two...

Shipping, hmmm, send an email to Jaun at HiBoost and see what he has to say, or ask him how much the weight and dimensions of the product will be. Now I haven't seen Doug (Wiredone) pipe up on this, but he was talking about being a vendour of the HiBoost kit at one time, but it wasn't on his site last time I checked too...

Gav.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:23 PM   #12
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
Quote:
the street dreams kit doesnt exist anymore really...its nowhere on their site at all...

on google it comes up with the link also, but when you click it says it isnt there...

the kit is AU5k, what you reckon shipping would be? install can mostly be done myself...maybe just oil and water lines i need someone else to do...
apparently street dreams has closed for a little while until they find a new place to lease and right now to my knowledge wiredone AKA doug is selling the kits in Australia if anyone wants one i was speaking to him at autosalon about it and the pricing for the kit isnt quiet as scarey as it used to be.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #13
HI-RES

Car: none
not sure about the 2.0 kit but the 1.6ltr hiboost kit is 4200us + 300us approx shipping
converted to aust say $6000 aud + gst & customs declarations probably around $6700-7000 total.

add your extra parts to that plus install/tuning/dyno etc you'd be lucky if you got change out of 10 grand for a decent setup. not sure bout the sp20 but the 1.6 needs an aftermarket bumper too to fit the intercooler

Last edited by HI-RES; 11-06-2005 at 11:36 AM.
HI-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:52 PM   #14
chicaboo

In the SP20 you just modify or remove the stiffening brace behind the bumper. As for the 1.6, I think it's a good chance to get a Sport20 Jspec bumper!
Old 13-06-2005, 11:46 AM   #15
Fro-Daddy

thanx for that info chicaboo
Old 30-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #16
Fro-Daddy

ive tried pm'ing wiredone and no response, he still around?

ive tried emailing hiboost...no response, although it might have been filtered through dodgey hotmail...
Old 30-06-2005, 11:41 PM   #17
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
Quote:
ive tried pm'ing wiredone and no response, he still around?

ive tried emailing hiboost...no response, although it might have been filtered through dodgey hotmail...
Best thing to do would be to set up a user account on Msprotege and pm Juan AKA Hiboost and he will get back to you, he has been very helpful with me in the past giving me some advice about turboing my car.

Doug is still around but i think he is very busy, try again or even email him as im pretty sure he has his own store now and you may be able to contact him through that.

If all else fails make an ATTENTION post to him in the "TURBO BEFORE AUTOSALON thread which was started by preeman80" and he will see you there as he frequently posts in that thread.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #18
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Evo 8
i am here, sadly upon looking at pm i didn't get it, which is weird as i have email notification on, ask away and i'll respond as best i can.
To boost or not to boost - http://www.trafficmesh.com
wiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:41 PM   #19
Fro-Daddy

well basically, what size is the cooler piping?
do i get the choice of ecu or is it nominated by you?
how much is the kit posted to Brisbane?
bolt on and drive away? (ie, is extra tuning NEEDED?)
what size exhaust is recommended?
does it foul the suspension or anything? (i dont see why it would)
street legal? (as in emmsions and stuff)

thats about for now...ill post more when i think of them :P

thanx mate
Old 01-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #20
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Evo 8
Answers answers answers:

cooler piping size:
2" off the turbo
2 1/2" onto the throttle body

ECU:
Your get a choice but seeing the Haltech is a top of the line unit and we have successfully got it working AND tuned i highly recommend it. Also a friend of mine was the head engineer at Haltech for 8 years so he really knows them (and i mean really knows them)

Postage:
I would have to weigh it and get a price but i would try and cover most of the shipping in the price to keep costs low.

Bolt on?
yes and no. You can drive, although i don't recommend anyone does such a thing without a full tune on the car, every car is different and every setup will slightly be different. Let me put it this way, the maps we give you get you 90% of the way but i'd personally be getting a tune (just like fitting a base mapped power fc on a skyline)

Exhaust size:
Bigger the better as long as cats are kept (i would replace with high flow varieties my self) and noise is kept below the legal limits in your state there is no problem. But as with any turbo application, bigger and straighter is always better. The difference between running turbo on stock and aftermarket exhausts is massive, in both throttle response and overall power.

fouled anything?
No. Except a clutch replacement at 8psi everything should be happy. I ran on stock suspension engine mounts etc. I would recommend the front and rear AWR engine mounts as you start to get weaks mounts after a while ie.a year (the engine rocks hard when changing on flat stick). And i also recommend bigger brakes...

Street legal?
This all depends on a couple of things. Supplied with the kit is a plumb back blow off valve. This needs to be plumbed back. Also the pod filter needs to be re plumbed to either an out of engine area (like TDK has done with his front bar in front of the left wheel) or have an air box placed around it to be fully street legal.
Depending on how much power the car uts out you may need to get aftermarket disks and pads to pass an engineers inspection. The kit is very safe and as you can see very little needs to be done to become untouchable.

The kit is very easy to install (under 2 days) and this alone makes it worth the money as there is nothing like fitting a turbo just by booking your car in and driving out with boost and a blow off valve.
To boost or not to boost - http://www.trafficmesh.com
wiredone is offline   Reply With Quote