Canon.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #22
Red Frog

Car: My feet :p
WOW guys!! See, THIS is the sort of information that is necessary when buying cameras. I was quite adament that the AA batteries were going to b an issue and saw this as a disadvantage, but seeing as plutonus has the S3 and adam has the S2 and they both get a great number of shots on the camera b4 the batteries give up the ghost, then hey! looks like the S3 might be a definite go ahead the thing is, picture quality is VERY important for me. i'm quite pedantic when it comes to that, and hav always been frustrated when low light situations produce photos with lots of noise. and seeing as many reviews hav found this to be a great disadvantage w/ the lumix, i really have to now start being picky about the two cameras.

Someone mentioned earlier that they liked the olympus, but only issue here is there's no image stabiliser. i like to take a lot of low light photos, esp at night, and have quite a shaky hand. even proping myself against a wall or post still seems to produce blurry photos, so image stabiliser is a must.
The Sony H2 and H5 look nice, but sony charge way too much for a camera that i can get for $200+ less and sumtimes better quality.
Then there's the Kodak P850. Haven't really looked into this one........

i'll def hav to hav a test drive of them. but atm it looks like i'll be still tossing up over the canon and lumix models for awhile.

Hey Adam and Plutonus, wot pros and cons can you post up for us about the canon?
Do you have a problem w/ videoing movies? Also is redeye an issue? Is the 2" screen on the S3 too small? DCR website pointed these out as being quite frustrating w/ the S3.

Is there anyone that has used/owns the Lumix Z5 or Z7 cameras?

Fantastic advice so far guys. Tanku
Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #23
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayman
At what compression level? Superfine / fine / normal?
That was on fine mode..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog
Hey Adam and Plutonus, wot pros and cons can you post up for us about the canon?
Do you have a problem w/ videoing movies? Also is redeye an issue? Is the 2" screen on the S3 too small? DCR website pointed these out as being quite frustrating w/ the S3.
Well i haven't run into any problems as yet.. Videoing is a sinch cause there's a nice big "record" button on the back that you can just press in any picture mode and it'll start recording.. The thing i love about the record mode is that it's 30fps which is full frame rate for video viewing and it won't be jerky. It saves into AVI format which tends to be quite large, however with tools out there like AutoGK you can compress the video down to whatever size you want..

Red-eye is an issue with any camera you buy, sometimes it's just unavoidable. There is red eye reduction however and i don't know if it's "on" in my camera at the moment but i haven't noticed too many shots with red eye..

Initially i was a little peeved that the screen wasn't bigger, but the advantages of it being able to move and swivel around far outway the disadvantages of it being so small. The zooming feature when in "review" mode is fast, so you can quickly see if the images you've just taken were out of focus or have motion blur. And after all, you really only use the screen to quickly review your shot. I transfer everything to the PC to have a look later on.

Regarding grain, you can actually manually adjust the ISO level of the camera, so even at ISO 50 you're going to still get a little grain, but it's not going to be nearly as much as ISO400 or higher. The only problem with that is that at ISO 50 your shutter speed is going to be longer to capture everything than at ISO 400. I would recommend getting a tripod [even if it's just one of those quality small desk ones] and using an extended exposure if you're into night photography.. I love taking extended exposures.. I'll go through the folder i have for images from my S2 and i'll post any good ones i have up..

In all honesty i was quite impressed with the S2 when i got it, I still love using it and it is so much better than my previous 2MP camera. I higly recommend the Canon, and i'll definately be buying another one if and when this gives up the ghost..

Cheers
Adam.

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #24
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
having the S1 i say the AA's are not a hassle and get the same as adam with it - agreed on the flash photography

if your considering the SLR get the SLR - i'm really cheesed off that i got the S1 now as i want to be able to push the aperature out waaaaay further than what i can now F22.0 would be perfect for some of the slow motion blur i want to be taking (okay maybe a little higher..anyway)

Is the Canon 300d still available?

having seen shots from the lumix i think it has a better colour saturation and produces a much more luminous image
Old 09-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #25
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

Send a message via MSN to Melbastina
Color saturation is not so important as long as the camera is producing decent results. Small things like that are easily corrected/tweaked later on down the track, and people tend to do it anyway regardless of what their camera captures.

Red eye reduction the the S3 works fairly well, but as far as cameras go it does not suffer from red eye that badly. Basically the further the flash is away from the lens, the lower the chance you will get red eye. Thats the reason the tiny little compacts suffer it o badly, because the lens and flash are close together.

Also, as a little side note (not really relevant here), but those of you with the S3 or any camera with manual exposure and ISO controls do a little experiment for me if you get time.

Next time your out taking night shots, drop the ISO down to 50 and take a pic using a long exposure, lets say it's 30 secs. Then, crank the ISO up to say 200 and take the same pic, but now using a shorter shutter speed as you'd expect because of the higher ISO, but keep the aperture the same. You should find roughly that the exposure (working with these numbers) will now be about a quarter of what it was previously, ie it will be about 7 seconds.

I've done it with my 20D and the results have surprised a fair few people, I'm interested to see if the S3 behaves the same way.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #26
Laser the Amazer

Send a message via ICQ to Laser the Amazer Send a message via MSN to Laser the Amazer
I would go the Canon

mainly because of the history of Canon and Camera's

Panasonic has had plenty of experience with vid cameras not digi stills

I have a Canon DSLR and its fantastic

I am looking at getting Canon Powershot in the near future when I don't want or need the bulky DSLR with me

Rob
Old 10-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #27
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
Leigh,

I have a canon, I am happy to give it to you to use while you are pondering the purchasing dilemma.
I have an Ixus, same as what Dan has.

Remember that some posters aren't honest when it comes to selling things, so be very wary of who you take advice from here.

Cheers
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #28
Red Frog

Yeah, I've been speaking to a few mates and they're all for the Canon, a few owning the S2, and couldn't be happier. One mate did own an older model olympus slr-like which he really liked, but apparently this year's models of olympus have been quite low quality.

James, the 300d isn't available brand new, but 2nd hand maybe - looks like Rob might want to sell his However, you'd be silly to go for the 300d as the 400d has just been released and my very savvy camera friends who own a 300d, can't stop drooling over the 400. Also the 350 is available, me thinks. I think you'd LOVE the S3. The S2 (from reading reviews and specs) completely shat all over the S1. Like Adam said, there isn't much diff b/t the S2 and S3, just a few minor tweaks and mods, so the S3 is the way to go. It's everything you need in one compact unit, rather than lugging around a bag full of lenses, etc etc.
Agreed on the colour saturation of the Lumix. From sample pics, it produces much richer quality colours.

Yeah, I had a fiddle w/ Dan's camera at some pt over the "who are you!?" wedding weekend. But I'm really looking for an SLR-like camera, where manual focus and a higher-set flash are quite important. I spose i want the whole sha-bang in one, so i don't have to turn around after purchasing it and go "oh i wish i could be able to do......." with the camera.

One friend has the Sony H1 and loves it. Does anyone know anything about the Sony H5 in comparison to the Canon and the Lumix?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #29
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Frog

Yeah, I had a fiddle w/ Dan's camera at some pt over the "who are you!?" wedding weekend. But I'm really looking for an SLR-like camera, where manual focus and a higher-set flash are quite important. I spose i want the whole sha-bang in one, so i don't have to turn around after purchasing it and go "oh i wish i could be able to do......." with the camera.
Agreed. Get something with a big fat zoom. Thats the only thing i miss with the IxusV3 i've got.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 PM   #30
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
If you wish, you should also be able to get a polarising lens for the S2/S3.. I'm going to start looking into this shortly as it really makes a difference to certain shots [ie removing glare whilst shooting into water, etc]. There'd have to be accessories out there to suit these cameras like i've mentioned above.

Ad's

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM   #31
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Aaron has a polarising lens for his 300D and loves it.

DSLR is an amazing step up from general Digital Camera's.

when Aaron bought his DSLR, I was going to use his Canon G2 but have never really used it as I share the use of the DSLR now.
We gave the G2 to Nemo, photographer extrordinary at the big shindig the other weekend.
Wow, it's been 10 days already, time is flying by so fast.

Best wishes in your camera hunt Leigh, either way, you will have a ball when you get your hands on any good quality camera.
I always love your picca's and the ones you took at shindig, all arty like, are wonderful.

*hugs*
Old 10-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #32
Red Frog

lol *whispers* i think those arty ones you're referring to are dan's........shhhh!!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #33
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Leigh, I thought you took a nice one or two of the candles in the vases.

Dan knows I always love his pics, he has a great eye for composition and colour.

Aaron is also good like that, he frames the picture really well, and with his dslr, his pictures are spectacular.

Can't wait to get some printed out and put in frames/albums etc.

*grinnage*
Old 10-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #34
Red Frog

oh why YESSS they were mine......not long b4 they all started going blury and off centre......can't think why......like my hand was unstable or sth......*thinks about what she did that night....* nup can't figure it out .........lol

EDIT: Now you realise my very good reason for purchasing a camera w/ an image stabliser! lol
Old 10-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #35
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatSmack
Remember that some posters aren't honest when it comes to selling things, so be very wary of who you take advice from here.

Cheers
Has someone put the hard sell on this forum at some stage have they?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #36
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPayner
If you wish, you should also be able to get a polarising lens for the S2/S3.. I'm going to start looking into this shortly as it really makes a difference to certain shots [ie removing glare whilst shooting into water, etc]. There'd have to be accessories out there to suit these cameras like i've mentioned above.

Ad's
I think you'll find that for the S3 you'll need to attach it to a lens hood or lens adaptor, not a big deal, in fact probably a good idea. Just be sure that when you get one you get a circular, I had a customer come in the other day with picture issues after someone sold him a linear polariser...

You'd have to be kinda un lucky to come across one of them tho.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #37
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Froggy,
even a dslr will give you blurry pictures when you're THAT drunk

LMAO!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #38
Red Frog

SHHHHHH!!!!! naughty Kitty wait.....naughty Frogger
Old 17-10-2006, 08:18 AM   #39
DB0984
Boostin Member

Car: ????
Send a message via MSN to DB0984
Hi guys/gals

i am now looking at upgrading my olympus point and shoot digital camera to something with a bit more manual control (ISO, shutter speed). I would like 5mp or higher and it would be good if i could keep my XD memory cards, so olympus or fuji (but would not mind going to the canon s3)

Options i have looked at so far

Fuji finepix S9500
Canon powershot S3 IS
Fuji finepix S6500 FD
Fuji finepix S5600
Olympus c-7070
Olympus SP-500/SP510 (but have heard the 510 has an issue with noise)

Can you let me know what you think.

Thanx
Dean

94 Ford Laser XL - Trent
03 Mazda Astina SP20 - Sam
06 Mazda 3 MPS - Miff

Now happily boostin
DB0984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #40
Laser the Amazer

Send a message via ICQ to Laser the Amazer Send a message via MSN to Laser the Amazer
for starters I would cross fuji off the list

famous for making film not camera's

same frame of mind with Kodak

stick with a brand that has been making proper camera gear for a while

may pay more but the results will be worth it

Rob