Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Introduce yourself

Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #21
TheMAN

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
Glad your dad is keen. Keep it that way! Turbo requires mod plate and illegal on p plates, otherwise just swap the engine loom and motor from a Ford laser tx3 or mazda familia. With turbo, intercooler, engine, ecu and sensors would be close to $1000. I paid about $600 for everything but a block.

Just going to dohc you just swap the heads over as the block is the same. Lots of threads here on that, you just have to trawl through it!

If you were in qld you'd have an engine in and running pretty much free if everyone decided to help haha. Nsw time to step up!
no it's not
swapping the DOHC head onto a SOHC shortblock results in severely low compression because the pistons are shaped different.. the crankshaft also has less counterweights, is cast steel (instead of forged), and the connecting rods weaker... some people say the block itself is also weaker

in other words, swapping the head is a BAD IDEA
Old 11-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #22
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
no it's not
swapping the DOHC head onto a SOHC shortblock results in severely low compression because the pistons are shaped different.. the crankshaft also has less counterweights, is cast steel (instead of forged), and the connecting rods weaker... some people say the block itself is also weaker

in other words, swapping the head is a BAD IDEA
Interesting. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #23
doctor_bob

Car: Mazda Astina 323 1992
Quote:
Turbo requires mod plate and illegal on p plates
Was going to keep it naturally aspirated for simplicities sake, full gold license here though. The best advice that seems to resonate everywhere is to swap in the DOHC motor and gearbox together, so I think we'll try and make that the goal. On the illegal thing though, I remember having a conversation with a friend who used to modify toranas years ago recently; he said doing any performance modifications is illegal in NSW these days without engineers certification. Will swapping one factory engine for a different model factory engine + gearbox count as this, or will I be ok because they both came from basically the same type of car? I really don't want to have any hassles with the police or motor registry...

Also, regarding TheMan's advice; I read the exact same thing on a different forum last night actually...

Main questions I have at the moment are:

- Are Japanese imported parts a possibility (+ tips where to buy in Sydney)
- What is the best reference manual to get my hands on for rebuilding the car; will the Haynes suffice?

Last edited by doctor_bob; 11-07-2012 at 07:46 AM.
doctor_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
I've got the Haynes guide and its OK. It was definitely made using a Laser though and I've found a few sections/parts that are wrong for the Astina, but its better than nothing. I'm not up on NSW car laws, but I would assume that swapping in a motor and gearbox that was an option for the chassis would present almost no issues, especially since you aren't trying to go turbo straight up. You will probably need some kind of cert though once its finished, even though the motor and box are from essentially the same car.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #25
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
with swaping the engines u sould be able to just go to nsw transport and say ur engine blew up and u installthe this mazda one. the difference is in the engine number. as phill did here u can just say u changed it and be done with it.. im assuming all of this tho.. u only need a mod plate for a turbo converion

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #26
BG1.8sp

Car: 2009 BL MPS
In NSW to make it "legal" you would actually require a certificate.
However with that kind of swap it's easy as pie to get and not exxy!
You would have to swap to the SP brakes for an engineers slip... That's it
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #27
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1.8sp View Post
In NSW to make it "legal" you would actually require a certificate.
However with that kind of swap it's easy as pie to get and not exxy!
You would have to swap to the SP brakes for an engineers slip... That's it
taht is tru.. just find a wrecked bgsp form the auctions taht has a good front end should cost u more than $500 and swap everything over ow and when u have the engine out pul all new waterpumps, oil pumps and timeing belts on it along with intake gaskets too

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
doctor_bob

Well I've been doing as much reading and researching as I can since dad's offer... There was some information suggesting there was a DOHC auto model... this is what's in there. Being that my gran lost the owners manual I don't actually have any of the specifics written down. The only identifying mark I could see was BP01, but the fact it says it's a 16 valve engine on the rocker cover made me think it would need the extra camshaft to be able to have that many...

Last edited by doctor_bob; 11-07-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #29
rogerstrampoline
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1993 BG Astina SP
I've heard of guys dping a DOHC auto but don't think it was factory....that engine is the B8 SOHC i know hahaha ive had 2 sohc engines and currently have a DOHC turbo.
rogerstrampoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #30
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Nah, that's a SOHC. DOHCs have this cam cover

Welcome to AGT, BTW.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #31
Clean_Cookie

Dan, what's that second cable goin to the tb?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #32
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Dan, what's that second cable goin to the tb?
Could be cruise control

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #33
derb

Yeh its a SOHC motor as said above. And I'd also like to know what the second cable is. It can't be cruise as it pulls the throttle the wrong way.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #34
doctor_bob

Well I'm at work at the moment so can't really start messing around with it right now... but I can try and follow the cable when I get a chance later on, see where it leads... There's no cruise control in the car so couldn't be that.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #35
doctor_bob

I've been calling wreckers all morning; They've all said the DOHC engine is extremely rare and they haven't seen one in a long time/ever. I can't even find a wrecker who will supply me with the necessary gear for a transmission conversion keeping the SOHC engine... I'll have a drive out to greenacre and bankstown on the weekend and see what I can see I suppose... maybe check for auctions... sounding like it will be a real hassle finding parts.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #36
doctor_bob

Did a little research of my own this afternoon around the legalities; according to my interpretation of the RTA's documents on the subject (linked below) changing from the SOHC to the DOHC would fall under the category of "Owner Certified"/minor modifications, as the entirety of the running gear and exhaust system would be retained from whichever car the engine and tranny come from anyway due to the compatibility of the parts... So based on this, minor modifications do not require engineer certification according to this document. I guess this is good news!

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s_nov_2007.pdf
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #37
Clean_Cookie

Bs. They are so common. Any laser from that period, astina from 89-98. Mx5. (although you'd need the accessories off a bg sp hey...but the blocks are cheap as. I bought a wreck with a good engine 2 years ago for $500 sold the shell for $250 just to give you an idea.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #38
derb

That's awesome news dude! Good to see the RTA isn't completely retarded. Plus you don't HAVE to do the brake upgrade at the same time, but it would be a good idea anyway at some stage in the future.

And Cookie, you're right about block and trans availability, but as you said you really need the BG SP loom to avoid having to wire everything back up from scratch or something.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #39
Dansta323

Car: 1990 Mazda 323 Astina BG
Thats one old school battery
Dansta323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #40
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Okay somneone who can tell you want you need.

In NSW you are going from a SOHC model car to a DOHC model car same chassis etc.
Fine - all oyu need is a BLUE SLIP. - Problem. Well if depends. A on who the blue slipper is.

A blue slip will change the engine number which you need to do ANYWAY.

Problem 2 is they need t odo an inspection of the car. Big problem for all Blue slip passes - Seat belts. 90% of old 10 year old cars drivers and passenger seat belts don't retract all the way. = FAIL.

Soloution IS IT REGISTERED- if so still registered and keep it registered. Blue slipper will not do double check only engine swap check.

So what do you need.

A DONOR car. You need to find a front cut or IMO FULL DONOR as I can't remember if a SP model BG astina has bigger brakes if so you should carry them over. If not same leave it.

But with a Donor you will get 90% of the parts. 10% will go to new parts like engine mounts - yes use new - water pumps - rear main seals etc etc.

Once swapped over - if you going manual you need to add in new clutch master and slave -use the donor line. New clutch

Any thing that wears or breaks now is the time to drop and put in new bits.

Add the ECU loom get it all wired up

Once done because it's still if you can be registered you take to blue slipper tell him put in new engine. He puts down the number 90% of them know right from wrong and $69 latter go ot RTA pay your $124 fee plus tax etc.
Car is now legal No problem.

Issue - how does insurance company feel ? do they need to know well ? if your in the wrong pay excess and don't let them see the car. But in all truth They do need to know.
They will slug you. Because technically you now made the car a Astina Sp and when I was young it was another $350 on full cover for under 25 year old on SP over a normal Astina

2nd cable for you young NOOBs is for the auto. It was not a full electronic control. so that cable relayed engine LOAD or TPS to auto on a hydrolic gearbox.

You will only find now on some Chinese and korean cheap nastys and many O/S models with 1.ZERO engines.

Now for my final comment.

Don't bother if the car is good condition runs. doing a conversion on a 25year old bucket is like Plastic surgery on 50 year old and selling it off as 30 year old Hooker. It might look better but rest will let it down.

I've said this before to many young in trying to go better. Start out better.

Your are building a money pit and unless you have one filled and you want to empty it it's not worth it.

Even if you have acess to do such work it's not worth it if it's all good and working.
the gain IMO is not even worth it.

I knew an apprentice merchanic who had exaclty the same situtation 10 years ago Astina SOHC - but he blew the motor So when he rebuilt he did some minor stuff to the SOHC motor. In the end he sold the car upgraded. And again and Again. Now on a Volvo XC90.

But he wasted No money only his time on that car.

Sorry for granny but if you don't like it Sell it and buy what you want.
It would easily sell ]. It's auto - it's clean and rego it will sell.
If I had $1500 and it had 1 year rego I'd buy it. I don't know what for but I've spent more on crap I never need so it won't be the first
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote