Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Introduce yourself

Old 19-02-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
Moobs

Car: bj astina 1.8
Hey All

Hi All
not exactly a new member or first post since i discovered this forum a long time ago back when my brother bought a brand new sp20 sedan and i was trying to find more info on the car which led me to here. i would occasionally read this forum learning more bout his car in case i had to fix anything one day but fortunately for him, with 180ks on the clock, the only thing that has ever broken is a door lock and intake hose.

pass forward 10yrs later while looking for a cheap daily i came upon a pretty clean 03 astina 1.8 with 210ks. so its when i decided to sign up on the forum.

my first mod was lowering the car but since the shocks were on the way out i decided for cheap set off coilovers. then my intake piping was cracked so i bought a secondhand injen CAI for it. during this time a few mates were out at wsid testing their cars and i thought i would just throw mine down the track just for laughs and see how it goes. not impressed but i was actually surprised it ran 16.2s with 2.3s 60ft on cheap tyres.

couple of months ago i got to do wakefield park for the first time. i added some hankook rs3s and remsa pads. it was very wet most of the day but as it started to dry up i managed a 1min20s with a passenger, then it poured down again and we called it. i recently installed a progress rear bar, so hopefully with dry track, more experience, next time i shave a few seconds off.

as for future mod, i would love abit more power. i haven't searched enough on here yet but if a ZE engine would drop straight into my car without replacing anything else and gain some power i might do that. otherwise might grab a universal turbo kit of ebay or something. i would be happy with just another 15kwatw or so

so that is me and nice meeting you all
Moobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 19-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
Welcome to AGT mate.

I also have a 1.8 just done a turbo conversion to but for the simplest way to say, wasn't cheap lol. 16.2 was my best with the NA 1.8 as well would have to double check the 60ft

Recently just done a 14.9 pass with a 2.39 60ft
With 130kw atw on 8PSI but it's only the start

Yes a ZE will drop straight in using 1.8 injectors and actually runs better with the FP-DE ECU then the FS-DE ecu and I've found out from previous conversions. And is a nice upgrade much more torque and a nicer power curve.

And everything is matching to drop straight in as far as engine mounts and exhaust.

Gear box bolts straigh up as long as you just swap over all the 1.8 flywheel and clutch kit.

But a nice upgrade with out really braking the budget.

Feel free to ask any questions. I've spent countless hours working on this model and done many conversions for other fellow members, and always happy to help.

again welcome to AGT

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
Welcome to AGT, I also have a 1.8 that's getting a ZE swap but I'm doing up an sp20 gearbox to drop in with it, just waiting on parts so it can get put together.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
! Welcome To AstinaGT !
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Moobs

Car: bj astina 1.8
thanks for the welcome guys

good to know the ZEs can use the 1.8 ecu and still gain power
looks like i will be going ZE once this motor gets tired and i have spare cash. do these motor usually come with factory harness and ecu? or do i have to get an aftermarket ecu installed and tuned to make the most of the engine?

what is the advantage to using sp20 box with the ZE engine?

been driving around with my new rear sway bar and im loving it. i dont know what it will be like at the limit but so far just cruising around at moderate speeds through corners it feels more planted.
Moobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
stronger gearbox however in my case i've got to fit speedo gear in the box, so fitting new syncros, bearings, seals, kaaz LSD and 626 5th gears for better highway cruising.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote