Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
sikwitit
AstinaGT Regular

Car: ford laser sr2
mech man alternators group buy eoi

gday everyone
since I have installed my large sound system the typical head light dimming has started and is pissing me of so after much looking around and multiple emails I have found a alternator that will fulfill my needs mech man alternators offer an adaptor plate to fit a larger unit which let's you run a alternator that puts out more power ranging from 170-220 amps.
so I have found out it will be 550 for a 180 amp alternator with the adaptor plate and 85 for a big 3 upgrade kit +shipping to Australia.
after talking with the company they are willing to take $5 off if I can get 5 people in a group buy and the more people I can get the more they will discount even more.
so if you interested post in this thread so we can get this going
sikwitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Yes I'm interested but would this adapter plate be universal or suit fs engines only? I want an externally adjustable regulator, I know some they sold did this.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Not to try and burst your bubble, but im pretty sure the alternator is integrated into the stock ECU with FSDE's...

Something to look into...
Old 12-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
memis correct it is on the BA.

Plus HOw much power does one want to suck from an engine?

IN older models BG I know you would be better off with a bisc Bosch 85 amp upgrade 1200rpm to 7500rpm over 60amp output. Unlike stock Mitsubishi unit. 150amp PLUS? that's an area where IMO one must ask what is this a entertainment studio or a car.
All the unit's I've fitted to similar models have dealt with 90% of stereo's with only minor dim of lights at idle in rain with A/C on instant fix at 1000rpm.

even a new v8 Holdens are on about 140AMP on HSV and it's peck. Some big mercs have them high but you are paying for lap of luxury.

A Bit extreme but interest to say the least.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
Not to try and burst your bubble, but im pretty sure the alternator is integrated into the stock ECU with FSDE's...

Something to look into...
ryans one has an in-build voltage regulator where the ba series3, bj, and so on let the ecu control the voltage

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
sikwitit
AstinaGT Regular

so have been talking with mechman and so far they only have the adaptor plate for the protege5 no other model of 323 or 626 if you want one made up it will have to be custom.
they have told me its a plug and plug unit so the stock plug fits no problem along with the big 3 upgrade to get the most of this unit there is no adverse effects when using this alternator.
with the 180 amp alternator it is designed so its producing it 180 at 900rpm it uses a smaller size pulley so it doesn't put any more stress then the factory system
so I cant see why its a bad upgrade
Old 14-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwitit View Post
with the 180 amp alternator it is designed so its producing it 180 at 900rpm it uses a smaller size pulley so it doesn't put any more stress then the factory system
Don't agree with this statement at all.

They use a smaller pulley to get more revs on the alternator at the same rpm when compared to stock unit.

If you think about gears on a bicycle - the easiest setting is to have the small gear on the peddles and the large gear on the wheel and obviously the hardest setting is the opposite.

Think about an engine in the same way - with the crank pulley being the equivalent of the wheels and the alternator being the equivalent of the wheel.

If you reduce the diameter of the alternator (wheel) it will actually put more stress on the engine

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
rodhog

exactly. it's over driven - the Reverse of what most people do when you build a race car run higher revs.

If you have loaded the car up with such a sound system it's got more power then well. I'll keep my opinion to I am old. Then it's going to need it. Most people compromise.

I like my music but I like it sitting in my recliner drinking dimple and listening to Frank.

Look not answering for everyone but I don't think you will find this mod will suit All.

Where car makers needed to get more output from an alternator - they use to change the crankshaft pulley to a larger unit. Ford did it on some model Mazdas.
Mazda followed but not on all models.

I just honestly question this 180amp unit, I know it will fit in the space allowed but using the same plug ? Really ? NO upgrades to the main battery feeds and earth.
Old 15-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Clean_Cookie

From the extremely limited knowledge of alternators, it will only produce these huge amps if something is wanting it. However it'll probably have more losses due to using larger copper conductors = more flux = more resistance to pass through the field being created, potentially being a larger draw on the motor.
Old 15-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
a second battery or capacitor sounds like a better idea.

the biggest i've seen for BA S3s NBs and BJs is the 130A replacement ones. Same size pulley as stock. But will still strain engine more than stock version.

you could always get creative and pull the a/c out and replace the p/s pump with a electric one to save engine strain. but you're doing stuff that can be done elsewhere with minimal effort.

if you had a bg/ba, you'd be able to get a pulley delete on the crank to save weight as it only is half size with the outer smaller pulley missing. but that is for more balanced race engines that you are happen to throw and/or fix in 100K.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 15-07-2013 at 08:39 AM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Clean_Cookie

Problem with the cheap ones off eBay require a high rpm to make any power. Sitting in traffic for example would drain the battery more than a stock alt.
Old 15-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
project.r.racing

Thats good to know.
Old 15-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
Clean_Cookie

IIRC a stock 80a unit will produce 50 a at 1200 rpm. Upgraded ones will produce 50a 2000 but 130a at 3-4000. Fine for hwy driving.
Old 15-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
project.r.racing

Well explained. Thanks for the info.
Old 15-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
sikwitit
AstinaGT Regular

im just quoted what they have sent me in emails.
anyway did the big 3 upgrade on sunday for those that don't know what it is. basically replacing the wires going from the negative to ground, alternator to positive, engine ground to chassis you replace these wires with 0 gauge wire and helps your electrical system anyway after doing this the headlight diming has been reduced by 80% It still dims but hardly noticeable so wont be changing alternator yet will see how it goes when my other amp comes in.
Old 15-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
Clean_Cookie

Good to hear. Even replacing with factory sized stuff works too, after 15+ years they start to deteriorate.
Old 16-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #17
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
From the extremely limited knowledge of alternators, it will only produce these huge amps if something is wanting it. However it'll probably have more losses due to using larger copper conductors = more flux = more resistance to pass through the field being created, potentially being a larger draw on the motor.
All of the above is correct.
That is one of the biggest issues. On models like some Type R's I don't think it applies to local models. but I know on version where they Refitted Hydraulic steering no electric the used base model Alternators for less engine drag.
It's one reason mazda has this engine braking recovery system. Make power charge battery smaller alternator drain. less engine load at idle - helps stop start systems etc.

Sounds like you found your weak spot
As pointed out old wires = loss of transfer. Japanese allow a bit over the top compared with others but again one must remember the cheaper the car to begin with the more cost cutting they try and find. Add in Age and most annoying is over time you have to keep an eye on it.