Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Off Topic

Old 17-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #41
Joczy

Car: .
while were on the subject... haha i was also looking at the Canon Powershot S3 IS Leigh. The only thing that seems to turn me off is the Electronic Viewfinder.... has anyone got a camera with an Evf or that can offer any thoughts on what they are like.
Joczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #42
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser the Amazer
for starters I would cross fuji off the list

famous for making film not camera's

same frame of mind with Kodak

stick with a brand that has been making proper camera gear for a while
Just to be a bit picky here, but both Kodak and Fuji have been in the camera business for a long time. In any case I think Kodak were _the_ camera company for many years and have made a number of superb cameras of both Film and Digital.

As with most things each MODEL needs to be compared more than just brands, although here's a few generalisations:

Sony - Good, but colours are not accurate, generally too much Red, grass gets to green etc. Basically problem with in camera processing to make things more vibrate.

Canon - Generally good skin tone and netural in camera processing, but so many models and variation that you need to specifically look at models. The IS system is excellent.

Panasonic - Never a great camera, good lenses, and good specs but somehow one paper/print/screen they don't quite come up with the goods. Generally Panasonic users post process every pic in photoshop to make them "just right" due to lighting and colour tinges.

DSLR wise you can't go wrong with anything, just buy into the lense system you're comfortable with. For me it was Canon becuase pickign up cheap Canon lenses is easier than say DSLR specific Olympus etc etc lenses. The 400D is a nice camera, as is the 300D - but they're still toys in the scheme of things. The cost of glass for any DLSR is the biggest hurdle to expanding the hobby of photography. You either buy a couple of very expensive good lenses or end up with a massive collection for various purposes. Most peopel get half way tot he latter then give up

A.
Old 17-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #43
Red Frog

Car: My feet :p
Well i tried out both the S3 and the lumix the other day, and I must admit, I ended up liking the lumix a tiny bit more than the S3......so i'm still stumped! argh! mind u, i was at a duty free shop so they weren't particularly helpful. i love the speed of the zoom on the s3!! it extends so quickly and sharpens straight away, whereaz the lumix takes a little longer. yes the flip out lcd screen i feel has more advantages over the lumix, but the s3 just has so many buttons that just could b put into one little menu. i like the clean look of the lumix and the feel of it. but once again.....still stumped *rolls eyes* one day i'll figure it out
Old 17-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #44
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB0984
Hi guys/gals

i am now looking at upgrading my olympus point and shoot digital camera to something with a bit more manual control (ISO, shutter speed). I would like 5mp or higher and it would be good if i could keep my XD memory cards, so olympus or fuji (but would not mind going to the canon s3)

Options i have looked at so far

Fuji finepix S9500
Canon powershot S3 IS
Fuji finepix S5600
Olympus c-7070
Olympus SP-500/SP510 (but have heard the 510 has an issue with noise)

Can you let me know what you think.

Thanx
Dean
If the C-7070 is like our C750 with the 10X zoom, it would be a great camera, we have had it for a few years now, and even after my wife dropped it on its lense its still takes very clear pics, the lense is awesome in these.
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 08:08 AM   #45
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
the olympus has the same lens as my kodak 7590
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #46
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
I'm actually looking at getting the Canon S3IS at the moment

eBay seem to have the cheapest ones (from Hong Kong of course), but otherwise

http://dirtcheapcameras.com.au/store/index.asp
and
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/

seem to have pretty good prices.

i'm just umming and aahing whether the $80 saving via eBay makes it worth buying it from HK...

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #47
Red Frog

Well after asking around here and there and consulting different people, EVERYONE has said that the Canon is the way to go. Which I was aware of, but just needed that little extra reassurance lol

So I'll hopefully be looking out for one in the Xmas sales or online, as I want it before I come up to QLD mid-late Jan. A friend's sister gets them in wholesale, so she's looking into a price for me. I might even get it BEFORE xmas if i get a good price! The bloody olympus is giving me the utter ****s! Was at a wedding on Sat and just couldn't be bothered to waste my time TRYING to get the camera to take good shots. Frustrates me beyond belief

To those who HAVE bought the S3 IS, do you mind posting how much you paid for it and where you bought it and if they were reliable, etc? Just so all of us who are interested can get a good idea of what's the go on price.

Dan, the only prob with buying from HK that i've read about, is the HK warrenty can be a prob in Australia. Canon Australia may not accept it and it has to be sent back to HK. So i've heard. I think Melbastina said something about that too.
Old 14-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #48
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
yeah, i figured that about the HK + warranty thing.

I still think i'll take the gamble, as i've found one for AUD$630 landed with a 4gb card, case, rechargable batteries and tripod. And they have a secure website, rather than just ebay.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #49
Red Frog

That's not too bad......

Lets see.......Camera: $546 + 1GB SD Card: $56 + Camera Bag: $30 = $632
Already have batteries and someone can get me the tripod for a Xmas present lol.......

In otherwords, I paid $546 for mine 2nite.....at a Bing Lee VIP Xmas nite.....CHEEEEERING!!! I'm sooooo mega-leigh excited!!! I was in complete and utter shock when I saw the price! I raced home to do some quick research and couldn't find anywhere (incl. postage) that could sell it to me for that price. I think i'm STILL in shock. The excitement hasn't kicked in yet! Bcos I wasn't meaning to buy it until i went overseas. So i've got a good 6 mths to fiddle with it before I head off.

Here we go....ignore the person, but check out the camera!

That was taken without the flash, obviously, so the image isn't as sharp as it could be. I'm so chumped w/ the quality! Been taking sample pics. Just LOVE the 12x zoom. Everything is super sharp. Have a busy weekend coming up, so this will def be getting a workout. Lucky the photo tech heads will b there on Sunday, so they can show me the dos and don'ts.

Here's a photo taken on full zoom. I just LOVE the sharpness and detail.
http://klish21.zoto.com/user/image_d...aded-desc/0-30
Old 17-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #50
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
Great work Leigh,
that's the camera I want to replace my Ixus.
We are going to the David Jones Xmas sale next week, so fingers crossed.
The good thing about DJ's is that they will price match anyone and give us 4 years interest free. That's how we got the new tele.
anyway, see how we go.
I'd love to hear more about how you are finding the camera, learning the features, using the different exposures etc. Anything that was hard to figure out, easy to figure out etc.

I wish we could see it before next week, but I am confident that it is a good one, and it works with our other Canon camera's as well as Aaron's DSLR.

Great work, stay happy and smiling, bounce!
Luz,
T.
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #51
papatonga
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1997 Mazda BA Astina
i went and got this camera today after thinking about buying a camera for a while. This thread has been real good as it was exactly what i was looking for in the range of camera(s)

found a good price on www.digitalfunstuff.com.au

they had it for $559 for the camera. i then went to the Harvey Norman in Auburn and was able to get them to match the price. then paid $89 for 2 extra yrs of warranty, so all up it ended costing me $648.

so far, it's an awesome camera. can't wait till exams are over so i can play with it more

papatonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #52
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
bing lee at rhodes? they were mega helpful when i got my S1... and good to see you did it!! enjoy many happy hours shooting!
Old 18-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #53
KittyKatSmack
Banned

We went out last night to do some price comparisons.
JB HiFi will go down to $580
Teds was $649
Myer could match the JB quote.
David Jones has it for $699 but it's likely to be a 15% discount on the VIP night, making it $594.15. If we can get it on our David Jones store card, then we can put it on interest free. It's likely to be my Xmas present from Aaron at this rate, but then again, I have a nice camera that I rarely use these days.
I'm finding the 2megapixel camera in my Sony Ericson K750i is great for quick snaps.

The new camera for me certainly isn't a priority, but if we see a fantastic price/kit, I think we would take it.
Old 23-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #54
KittyKatSmack
Banned

I already said it in another thread, but I got the S3IS last night at the David Jones sale.

I am MEGA happy about the deal we got.
The S3IS
A case that's too small
a cleaning kit
a little itty bitty tripod
all for $540!!
We used the 1Gb card we had in my pink phone so that will be alright for now, and Aaron is getting hold of some rechargable batteries to use with his charger so we don't have to worry about buying new batteries.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread, and thanks to Leigh for asking the question in the first place.

So how many peeps have the S3IS now?
RedFrog
papatonga
Kitty
Dan? did you end up getting yours?

Old 13-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #55
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Just a heads up.. both my brother and i have encountered the same issue with our S2 IS in the last month [and it's apparently a regular occurance with S1 IS as well], and that issue is that of a sticky shutter. Mine did it intermittedely, turning the power off then on again usually resolved the issue. However there was no warning with my brothers camera. Mine is now not opening at all either. We've both had our camera's for over a year, and this is most disappointing.

I know that Chicabooooooooo has also got the same camera, without issues at the moment.

Apprently Canon USA was repairing the S1 IS free of charge as it had something to do with the lense assembly/shutter mechanism/CCD system and they replaced the whole assembly [around US$150].

Anyone with an S1 IS or S2 IS had any problems with theirs? I'll be writing to Canon to express my dis-satisfaction and demand a repair free of charge. I"ll post results.

Ad's

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #56
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

Send a message via MSN to Melbastina
I haven't seen this fault crop up yet, but it's something I'm gonna keep an eye out for.

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPayner View Post
Just a heads up.. both my brother and i have encountered the same issue with our S2 IS in the last month [and it's apparently a regular occurance with S1 IS as well], and that issue is that of a sticky shutter. Mine did it intermittedely, turning the power off then on again usually resolved the issue. However there was no warning with my brothers camera. Mine is now not opening at all either. We've both had our camera's for over a year, and this is most disappointing.

I know that Chicabooooooooo has also got the same camera, without issues at the moment.

Apprently Canon USA was repairing the S1 IS free of charge as it had something to do with the lense assembly/shutter mechanism/CCD system and they replaced the whole assembly [around US$150].

Anyone with an S1 IS or S2 IS had any problems with theirs? I'll be writing to Canon to express my dis-satisfaction and demand a repair free of charge. I"ll post results.

Ad's
Old 13-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #57
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I've had my camera since Sep 2005 and it's been running fine, and took great piccies last weekend on the Dorrigo cruise. Only problem I have is the slave trigger for my flash gun needs replacing. That's a Morris DS-1 if anyone is interested...

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #58
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
just my 2 cents my g/friend is doing photography for a career she just bought a digital canon 400D it takes bloody good shots and has heaps of different options...plus it shiny lol...she got it with a kit including bag 2 lenses a 2 uv filters not to mention she still has the other canon SLR so they can interchange all the lenses from big to small.....

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #59
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Not everyone wants or can afford a semi-pro DSLR though John. And the most important thing to remember with cameras: The camera doesn't make a good photo, the operator does. The camera just helps with focus, colour, sharpness - which are all great things to have, but you can get that in the prosumer Canon point and shoots.

For those who want a DSLR and don't want to spend a packet, I actually think the Nikon D50 is currently the best bang for buck if you're not into changing lenses all day...

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #60
outbakoz
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 BA Astina Hatch
i'd agree with chicaboo here, while its nice to have a DSLR alot of the time its not practical when you just wanna drop a camera in your pocket and go somewhere.

I have a lowepro bag that houses my Canon 350D, 3 x lenses, laptop and all the other crud i carry around for work, sometimes i swear i am going on a holiday, not just to another job.

My Car
outbakoz is offline   Reply With Quote