Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 03-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
astina_hardtop97

Car: Turbo v8 and 1.8l 323
wet feet

driving back from my olds on sunday night i stated to get wet toes while the heater was on. car didn't loose much radiator coolant and the water inside the car was clear not green and it didn't overheat even after a 2hr drive
topped the water up this morn and drove 1hr to work with heater off and no water came out at all
would this be the heater core leeting go or water in the vent system? as i washed it just before driving it home?
anyone had a similar problem? anyone replace a heater core? was it hard?

cheers
astina_hardtop97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
i get water leaking from the aircon overflow. my mums ford does the same.

was it alot of water or just a little?

EDIT: my leak is on the drivers side. maybe hole in the firewall?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
The heater core in the BA is always on, the vent ducts air through or around the core so it's probably not the core. The A/C duct has a drain which should drain away any condensation, these drains are known to get blocked by leaves. Check it out now to save sumer flooding.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
astina_hardtop97

where are the drains? how do i get to them? and it was only a little bit of water...enough to feel it on bare feet but was dry in the morning
Old 03-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I had 50mm of water in the passenger side footwell of a Pintara within an hour. Every car can have this problem.

Open the hood and look for where the A/C pipes go through the firewall (behind the battery).
With the car safely on stands or ramps go underneeth and look for the drain directly bellow the A/C pipes and blow air into it. If you get covered with water then you've found the problem. To perminantly fix that problem you need to remove the dash and clean the A/C duct (huge job).
Old 04-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
astina_hardtop97

going home last night it let go big time and flooded the car with coolant so i spent a good couple of hours stripping the interior and carpet and disconnecting the heater core and its fixed now just have to wait for the carpet to dry and put it back in...oh and replace the heater core which i'm not looking forward to...least id didn't overheat i have a 6l water on hand
Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
astina_hardtop97

i know this is an old post but after i fitted a second hand heater core 2 years ago this one let go too. Its my gf's car now and she could smell coolant. sure enough the overflow tank was empty and i can see dribbles of water in the vents under the dash. one of the worst jobs i had done now it looks like i'm doing it again. but least its almost summer i'll just disconnect it again for now.