Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > Queensland

Old 21-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
LordWorm

Car: .
Dyno Day - Sometime in October

Howdee all,

Just wondering who would be interested in a dyno day sometime mid october?

I've made some enquiries with Trent at Mercury and heres the deal as it stands now.

Cost: $55 per head for 20+ cars, includes lunch (sausages in bread, nothing overly exciting but lunch none-the-less)

Number of runs: Each car should get 2 runs as a minimum, back to back. If the car is still making more power in the second run, they may decide to run a 3rd run just to see what it can do..this is at the discression of the person running the dyno and totally dependent on time etc.

Adjustments: No adjustments can be made on the dyno, aside from a low the high boost run for turbo guys - if you wanna make changes, you have to pull the car off the dyno and then put it back on and that costs you an extra entry...

Prizes: prizes can be arranged but it'll cost more per person etc...

at this stage i'm thinking saturday the 14th of october might be the go (day before my burpday so we can have cake too)

Whats everyone think?

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 21-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Tell them to throw in cans of drink for that price (2-3pp).

1. Lordjimmywiggle
2. chicaboo
he said "cans of drink available".. not sure if that means you get one for free or not...or if they are there for purchase

i'll work that all out and what not prior - it may work out better/cheaper for us to man our own grill and drinkies...but yeh, purely expressions of interest at the given price..

Old 21-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
yes.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
89sp1.8

Car: bg astina
Send a message via MSN to 89sp1.8
ill come along for the day,less the car..if somebody would be able to pick me up on the way?
89sp1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sp1.8
ill come along for the day,less the car..if somebody would be able to pick me up on the way?
less the car? what are you going to do? run on the rollers like a treadmill and see how far you can get it to go up? bring your bicycle and dyno that? :P
haha

Yeh no worries

i'll find out prices for attendences only, i'd assume it'd just be the cost of the bbq...but they may have insurance blah blah to pay for too

Old 21-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
Fro-Daddy

Send a message via MSN to Fro-Daddy
someone do a run with aircon on to see how much power you lose :P
Fro-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro-Daddy
someone do a run with aircon on to see how much power you lose :P
lets not and say we did? :P
perhaps you can come along and do that lil experiment haha

Old 21-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
Fro-Daddy

Send a message via MSN to Fro-Daddy
they will put 50psi in my tyres again :P and i know what power i got on their dyno, so no need for me to go
Fro-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
i should be up for it...ill see how money goes after trip to canberra as i get back the weekend before...but i might be workin that weekend as well...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
If Im not working I will pop on down for a gander
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
MitchEG
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Cibicu
1. Lordjimmywiggle
2. chicaboo
3. RedAstina
MitchEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #12
Mazda_Brian

Car: Soarer Twin Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Mazda_Brian Send a message via Yahoo to Mazda_Brian
Where is the Dyno, I might be interested in a run....

Only thing, I think 3 runs would be better than 2, as if your still making power after a 3rd run, someone isn't operating the dyno properly, and what do they do if your car starts to ping, will they halt that run and count it towards your runs, or will they let the car ping possibly causing perminant engine damage????

The dyno days/nights I usually go to will allow you 10 minutes on the Dyno, with that you will usually get 3 runs, and the quick guys will do 3 runs in 5 mins and be off the dyno, the slower guys will take the entire 10 minutes, and tinker with boost, AFM, and if they have time, a quick tinker with fuel mapping, but all are allowed as long as your within your 10 minutes dyno time. (with 5 minutes aside for on/off time).

Still interested, and will happen to be up there around that time as well.

B.
Old 22-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
i'd be interested also, but as gav said, that price better include drinks, especially if you are only getting 2 runs.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayryry
i'd be interested also, but as gav said, that price better include drinks, especially if you are only getting 2 runs.
well once i have 20 cars i'll be able to get firm details

the way trent put it to me was, that if after 2 runs the car isnt making "much" more power the second time around, its a waste of time, and wear and tear on the equipment, and the car, for a dyno graph tahts gunna be the same.

sounds fair to me.

if it DOESNT include drinks, i'll take the $5 extra and do my own bbq/drinkies
too easy

Old 22-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #15
LordWorm

gav: the prizes were sponsored by members and other companies...the dyno belongs to one of TOCAU's sponsors etc etc...
I could ring CES up and get a price, but dont be surprised if a) its more, b) theres no food and c) theres no prizes...

but i'll definantly give them a call if the consensis is that mercury is giving us a bum deal.

Old 22-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #16
LordWorm

Quote:
I asked about the sponsorship, and this was what I was told:
Prize packs were provided by Autobarn as a PR exercise, and written off accordingly.
Food was provided generously by those who CBF'd. They did a great job!
Trophies came from a place at Logan, and were payed for.
All other assisstance was generously donated or covered by the cost of the admission.

I was VERY impressed at what a bit of legwork and ringing around could drum up for an occasion such as this. I had no idea at the time, but it was the TOCAU anual dyno day, which I found funny as I only went along as I've been wanting a dyno, and where better than just down the road. Except for the whole dyno breaking bit...
read the thread dude

CES put up some prizes
but alot of the prizes were sponsored by members....

CES also sponsor their forums, which would have had something to do with the cheapness of the event....CES are their ONLY major forum sponsor...
good PR exersize for them

Old 22-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #17
89sp1.8

Car: bg astina
Send a message via MSN to 89sp1.8
also there is a dyno comp on at autobarn moss st $25 will get u two runs..diffrent categorys..think its next sunday if neone is interested
89sp1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #18
LordWorm

well would you like me to shelve the idea? since we dont get enough runs, and it costs too much?..................................*sigh*

Old 22-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #19
LordWorm

Quote:
What is the source of your arguement? Keep your farken dots (...) to yourself thankyou.

If Mercury (or other companies) cannot support or sponsor a dyno day where they stand to gain in other ways of numerical reward in the future, that is their choice. I am just enlightening peeps with my most recent experience and drawing a comparison. Once again, what is the source of the agro??? If you are worried that people would turn away because other dyno days are cheaper, what's it matter to you personally? Matter of fact, I doubt they would turn away over $20.

Just and righteous,
Gav.
my argument is this: CES sponsor TOCAU. if <insert company with dyno here> sponsored AGT - i'd expect there to be deals such as what they got. Fact is we dont have such a sponsor that i'm aware of.

Source of the agro is I go and try and organise an event - something for people to turn up with, show off their cars, have a bit of fun and a feed, and get the "blah blah blah rip off. Blah blah blah better have drinks. Blah blah blah i want my pointless 3rd run that proves absolutely nothing. blah blah blah i want them to adjust my car for me while its on the dyno..."

And what benifit is it to mercury? how many people would actually go back and actually pay $170 an hour to have them work on their cars? most ppl here do their own work, or get friends and other members to lend a hand. Mercury dont sell any astina-specific stuff that they manufacture (where as CES sells Catbacks hand over first for the toyota guys so its worth copping a loss and doing something promotional).

The rules seem perfectly fair to me. If you make more power on the second run, you get a 3rd to see what it might do.. if you dont, then you are wasting time, putting undue wear on an expensive piece of equipment, and your car...I'm happy to ring around and see if we can get a better price.. Mercury is just conviniently located, they have ample parking and a nice setup. Plus many people have done previous runs on their dyno so their results would be somewhat compareable.

They are in it to make a buck, and thats their business. They have obviously weighed the other "benifits" and realised that cold hard cash is the best way out. You dont get stuff for free in this world. You can't expect them to foot the bill on the off chance that maybe someone might one day come back and get a tune (which they probably wont, because they'll shop around and find other workshops closer to them or whatever).

$55 for 2 (maybe 3) runs with a bit of lunch sounds perfectly fair to me... but if people don't want to pay it, i'll find somewhere else (and for the record, unlikely to be any cheaper) or can the whole idea.

Old 22-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
AGT can have a sponsor...has anyone tried to get one? you cant make it admins responsabilty to get one (or search for one)...do B3M sponsor? from the sounds of it no, why, cause you dont wanna give money back, but you prob dont realise if you sponsor a day like this you could quiet possibly get some customers, specially if twiggys got his car there and it can show the numbers... do OMC or any of the other mazda forums have sponsors that you can think of? also have you tried MAZFIX and they are a mazda specific company (specialize in mazdas)...if OMC or any of the other forums do have a sponsor why cant it be organised with them?

why get agro at feedback? if you want feedback on an event tryin to be planned except negative feedback as people have different point of views...food issue...id prefer to give the money to mercury for it as if you get $5 per person for food and drinks alot of the money wouldnt be spent on food or drinks...

i no in the future ill be gettin most likely mercury to look at my car when its got stuff worth while lookin at..as ive been recommended there by people...

i think the rules are fair...but seein as some people have given you proof that a 3rd run can show more power even though the first 2 were the same...could this be due to cold tyres, cold engine and so on... and mercury is CONVENIANTLY LOCATED...conveniantly located for WHOM? you and twiggy im guessin, i have no issue with drivin there but still... and also i dont think it matters where people have previously done runs...

but yes i think alot more time has to be put into an event like this...seems to me youve just rang up 1 place and said yep this is the price...and havnt rang around (which is what im not hopin for, specially that you are in business with your own company, and should know that ever $$$ not spent is better off kept in ya own pocket) so please do the right thing by us guys, ring round other places (NOT ONLY THE NORTHSIDE) to see if the $$$ lower.
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote