Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 04-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #21
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
ive been instructed by the local upholstry guys to use 3M 75 or 78 spray, whatever it is, apparently its what they all use for headliners, resists up to 70 something degrees before softening
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #22
Golden Oldie

Car: 1992 Mazda Astina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
ive been instructed by the local upholstry guys to use 3M 75 or 78 spray, whatever it is, apparently its what they all use for headliners, resists up to 70 something degrees before softening
We don't have an upholster here but they obviously know what they are talking about.

The Selleys Kwik Grip GEL is heat resistant to 130c (according to the tin) and found I had time to 'work it' before it went off. I don't know about the 3M 75 or the spray how fast it dries, but, you really do need time to get the fabric in place before it bonds.

My jobs were only small areas so, I glued both the door and the fabric at once and still had time to lift a little if it was off alignment. I matched the outside bottom first but then worked the glue from the inside out, getting rid of any bubbles. The selleys also gives you 20-40 mins before it bonds completly. 24hrs for 100% dry but, you can't move it really after 20 mins or you break the skin.

A roof lining, I would imagine you would glue down, little by little, bit by bit??? to avoid creases. Once it's on, it's ON to stay! It would have to take more than one person to do?

Good luck and am following your progress. Sounds awesome!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #23
so fresh

Car: 92 astina 323 bg & 01 SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Oldie View Post
My jobs were only small areas so, I glued both the door and the fabric at once and still had time to lift a little if it was off alignment. I matched the outside bottom first but then worked the glue from the inside out, getting rid of any bubbles. The selleys also gives you 20-40 mins before it bonds completly. 24hrs for 100% dry but, you can't move it really after 20 mins or you break the skin.
is this for the door card or the roof lining?
If so any pics of the job before n after
Old 05-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #24
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by so fresh View Post
is this for the door card or the roof lining?
If so any pics of the job before n after
This was just for the door trim. Just covered the fabric bit. All the pics are UP THERE ↑ in earlier posts.

Turned out rather well concidering I went in blind

I like it better than the original and the pics really don't do it justice.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #25
so fresh

Quote:
This was just for the door trim. Just covered the fabric bit. All the pics are UP THERE ↑ in earlier posts.

Turned out rather well concidering I went in blind

I like it better than the original and the pics really don't do it justice.
so u just put the glue over the old fabric thats on the door trim and put the new 1 on top of it?
like fabric over fabric?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #26
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by so fresh View Post
so u just put the glue over the old fabric thats on the door trim and put the new 1 on top of it?
like fabric over fabric?
YUP! Worked well. There was no way I could get the old stuff off. I think it's been heat glued on in the factory.

Just had to find the RIGHT glue that wouldn't go off too quicky and of course, no bleed. The Selleys did a good job and, you don't have to be afraid of it, meaning, I just lathered it on both the door and the fabric and, if I made a bit of a mess on the plastc, it wiped off straight away but, you gotta get it, straight away.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #27
so fresh

Quote:
YUP! Worked well. There was no way I could get the old stuff off. I think it's been heat glued on in the factory.

Just had to find the RIGHT glue that wouldn't go off too quicky and of course, no bleed. The Selleys did a good job and, you don't have to be afraid of it, meaning, I just lathered it on both the door and the fabric and, if I made a bit of a mess on the plastc, it wiped off straight away but, you gotta get it, straight away.
brilliant!!
just blow dry the old(to melt the glue)pull off the old and put in the new

this link should be a sticky on "how to do"
http://kezfool.bravehost.com/car%20trim.htm

Last edited by so fresh; 05-07-2009 at 02:34 PM.
so fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
well, to update, i didnt get the kwikgrip gel, i just got the blue tin of kwik grip. will be using that for all my upholstery, maybe the roof liner, unsure if i want to go with 3M spray or selleys gel for the roofliner.

BTW your job looks sweet, good job. now all you have to do is the carpet, roofliner and seats :P

Last edited by chrisw; 05-07-2009 at 02:37 PM.
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #29
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
well, to update, i didnt get the kwikgrip gel, i just got the blue tin of kwik grip. will be using that for all my upholstery, maybe the roof liner, unsure if i want to go with 3M spray or selleys gel for the roofliner.
The BIG mistake I made was in the BLUE TIN! Very leaky, bled and ruined my first panel. Also very runny. No suitable. I took it back and changed it for the GEL. It was their fault for selling me this stuff as I asked for specific glue to suit upholstery job.

The gel is like butter. It speads easily and you have plenty of time to work it before it bonds.

Trust me Chris.....take the blue tin back!