Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 26-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
'92 BG Project.

Well, with the new bike rocketing me to and fro' for work I've taken this chance to get the car off the road for a month or three and do some much needed work. All ideas from the forum will be taken into consideration while I work on the white stain of a car.

Current situation:
-157 000km - good condition, needs some rubber though, cooling system needs attention, could use a good tune and flush really.
-Rooted suspension
-knackered interior
-chinese powered base model pioneers
-stockies on G-grids
-average body with no tint

chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 26-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Current to-do list... money permitting.

Interior:
- Strip. reupholster in charcoal and blue.
- thinking of strengthening and deadening door panels and upholstering 6x9 speaker supports into the panels themselves, instead of the doors.
- Making a new rear parcel shelf in a stronger material, upholstering with deadened 6 x 9 supports
- New carpets
- New headliner, upholstering pillars as well, with triple gauge holder concealed in the upholstery.
- POSSIBLE small sub within a ported upholstered central armrest that sits in place of the centre of the rear bench seat... always wanted to try this but never did it.
- four 6 x 9 speakers, possible sub, but not really required, not a fan of big subs, just want good sound quality. Powered by an average headunit with USB or iPod support and a decent amp for sound quality reasons.

Engine and suspension:
- New shocks and springs (thinking superlows and KYB's)
- New strut top mounts (DAMN YOU MAZDA and your high prices)
- many many many bushes replaced
- New wheel bearings or at least inspected and repacked
- new discs and pads with braided lines
- steering items inspected and replaced as needed
- new balljoints
- possible new swaybar on rear (bit firmer methinks)
- front strut brace

Engine:
- Semi stripped and inspected with new gaskets
- Inspect cambelt and replace if needed.
- Clean up the ports and inspect the head (nothing extreme since i cant flowtest anything, just basics that dont really do that much as ive noticed on my bike projects )
- POSSIBLY a new head considering i smoke a little and tap a little, BUT this isnt really that required, compared to my old laser this car rarely does it. more than not ill just check the oil supply and give everything a good checkover since it seems to be an oil delivery problem, especially with 20-50w, 10-40 rarely taps but still gives a slight puff when ive revved a bit on startup.
- I need a new clutch but ive never done one on a car... so i think ill leave it.
- all ancillary items like master cylinders inspected and flushed
- new belts.
- full service and tune.

Wheels:
- something oldschool in a 14-16" with some grippy but long lasting rubber (the g-grids are fantastic at the moment, so anything similar)

Body:
- modified front bumper similar to WTF-323 resprayed in white. maybe a little lip molded on.
- rust attacked
- new headlights c/o carmate, maybe with HID's but theyre not road legal, so maybe just nice globes (not road legal on the BG )
- LED parker strip up front, or modified parkers.
- New RHS taillight, all polished up to perfect spec.
- rear wing removed, inspect body for rust, replace rubber weather stripping.
- Windows cleaned up while door panels are off, new tint!
- general tidy up since i lack the excess cash to pay for a PJ, and the skill to do a full one myself.
- New premium plates (aka the white and black thin rego plates) just remade in my same rego, with the front offset.

Any ideas are reccomended, I realise this is a MASSIVE task ive comitted myself to, thankfully most of the work is mostly hard work and self effort. The big jobs like the suspension and similar stuff is all based on cashflow

well look forwards to some piccys coming through guys the project starts on my next day off!
Old 26-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
omg thats low kms awesome car man
Old 27-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
drop a BPT in and leave the stockies on and surprise everyone! works for me.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
are you going to do the rings whilst you've got the head off?

also why 6x9 all round and not 6-6.5"?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoAust View Post
are you going to do the rings whilst you've got the head off?

also why 6x9 all round and not 6-6.5"?
Rings... possible, though I have never done a set myself, ill definitely put it in the think tank, though if i was going to do the rings, I would also be replacing the pistons, pins etc. I might as well if the head is off.

On the stereo subject, what would you really suggest? I have 6 inch speakers upfront and they are ok, however maybe its because I've been buying mediocre 6 inchers that the sound hasn't been too fantastic. I've always been pleased with the 6x9's that most friends of mine have.

I mean, the 6 inch speakers I have are fine, but there isn't as much bass as I'd enjoy, not to the extent of a subwoofer, but just a more bassy balance.
Old 27-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

So far decided on going a charcoal or dark blue colour for the door and headliner. Will see when I get to the store what is available in what colours.

Carpet will be care of Knox auto carpets http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/moulded_carpets.htm

more than likely a semi-standard plush pile in dark blue or most likely black considering how i treat my carpets usually.

for $165 delivered im happy.

Old 28-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Knox Carpets are good - i got one from there for a mates VL a few years ago.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Knox Carpets are good - i got one from there for a mates VL a few years ago.
Awesome, how did he find the quality and the level of fit and finish?

Should be good, black carpets on a deep blue interior.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Awesome, how did he find the quality and the level of fit and finish?
Never had any complaints that i know of
It was a little difficult/awkward to cut the holes for though as it was so thick - and the same issues getting the trim in place too. No big deal, just something to consider though

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
id stick with 6inches in the front for speakers...you dont need 6x9s...if you do it properly with good quality splits in the front youll be fine...if ya wanna go overboard replace all the wiring for the stereo...as it will make a difference...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
id stick with 6inches in the front for speakers...you dont need 6x9s...if you do it properly with good quality splits in the front youll be fine...if ya wanna go overboard replace all the wiring for the stereo...as it will make a difference...
Already on the agenda... bought some stuff today

-ive got a stockpile of 14 gauge wire
-2 6 x 9 MDF holders to go with...
-fiberglass matting and resin

Ive decided on some nice 6 inch splits upfront (thanks for the confirmation as well) and 6x9's in the rear.

mini custom fibreglass enclosures for the doors and rear parcel (ill explain when i get into the build, not that hard to do, but doing it for a good reason)

EDIT: OH! and as im rebuilding these door cards, ive got something special planned, that im still trying to work out how to pull off with ease. But if it works it will be a nice subtle touch that i havent seen done yet on any cars. I'll keep it as a suprise

4 channel amp

decent headunit, at LEAST with aux-in, though i prefer USB.

Last edited by chrisw; 01-07-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
For front component splits i would highly recommend Polk DB6501's (6.5"). great sound for the money ($360~ RRP i think). plenty of mid/bass (you'll definately want an amp though). i had 6.5" MTX thunder axe, were pretty good for $250 (think they only have 6" now").

the rear 6x9" are mostly fill, good fronts will provide superior sound and staging for the driver/passenger nice to have but don't spend the budget on them.

to follow up on the rings, unless theres an issue with the pistons i'd just be doing the rings, bearings (maybe pins depending on wear) and using the old pistons/rods
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
derb

you will have drama's with 90% of speakers in the BGs front doors. almost all speakers are too deep for the front door. so you'll have to deal with windows that dont go all the way down or put spacers behind them and cut perfect holes in your door cards. which still may not work as they might foul the window winders [if you dont have power windows of course]. i ended up putting in cheap pioneers as they fit and i was frustrated to hell with the splits i had.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #15
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
you will have drama's with 90% of speakers in the BGs front doors. almost all speakers are too deep for the front door. so you'll have to deal with windows that dont go all the way down or put spacers behind them and cut perfect holes in your door cards. which still may not work as they might foul the window winders [if you dont have power windows of course]. i ended up putting in cheap pioneers as they fit and i was frustrated to hell with the splits i had.

I've probably not made it clear in the past, but im actually making fiberglass supports ON the door/door car, secured to one or both depending on weight.

so clearance will not be an issue, just the structural integrity of the doorcard itself.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
derb

oh, good stuff then. yeh might want to add some firbeglass to the back of the door card for added rigidity, but it should hold OK anyway.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #17
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
oh, good stuff then. yeh might want to add some firbeglass to the back of the door card for added rigidity, but it should hold OK anyway.
Yeah whatever works in all honesty, just to keep the door card together with the weight of the speakers.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

New purchases today:
- 5m of fibreglass mat
- tub of resin and catalyst
- big amounts of plywood
- some dowel
- some wooden strips

pics to come today of the current car state.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #19
Golden Oldie

Car: 1992 Mazda Astina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Yeah whatever works in all honesty, just to keep the door card together with the weight of the speakers.
I will be interested in seeing your final result with the speakers. I had a hell of a time finding speakers that would fit. If it wasn't interferring with the window winder, they were too deep I ended up with some 3 way Kenwoods. They poke the door card out a little but, could still clip it back on again. Hardly noticeable.

The sound great, too!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Oldie View Post
I will be interested in seeing your final result with the speakers. I had a hell of a time finding speakers that would fit. If it wasn't interferring with the window winder, they were too deep I ended up with some 3 way Kenwoods. They poke the door card out a little but, could still clip it back on again. Hardly noticeable.

The sound great, too!
Im a gun with photoshop, but I dont have it anymore, and I'd rather not download it illegally oh CS4 i want thee! I used to be heavily into the digimods forum, probably spending 10-12 hours a day photoediting cars, finally getting to the point where I was able to airbrush (uhh tool in PS) a concept car, or total custom bodykits off a base car picture and make it look 75% realistic.

If i still had PS I would show you what im doing with the doorcards. Honestly I know exactly what you mean, once i got the cards out and had a look, all my drawings went RIGHT out the window. F**king window wiper... i wish i had an SP.

Basically I cant go all out custom for these doors anymore, though I will be modifying off the base card, custom raising the whole lower pocket area into one big raised area.

Once thats all fiberglassed, im going to try to work it out since that part is removable, that I have it removed from the entire door while I upholster my complete door and the speaker area separately, then secure it back on (annoying and fiddly, but the only way without tailoring the door fabric.

The speakers will be mounted into this raised section, because its raised, the window winders will be modified to be roughly 1 inch higher than stock, and 2 inches shorter, yes a cut and bog-mod basically. I'll have to run with it on the ball, to make sure its not fiddly or impossible to use.

the speaker will be slightly offset from the original position due to that winder however the rear of it will still be deep into the door, though the 1 inch in raising that it will have will hopefully clear the window.

Well, i guess you really have to see it to understand.. thus .. here comes an epically crappy paint.NET pointer... oh photoshop, where art thou.

Thanks to the member who I took the door picture off. credits for your awesome upholstry job btw! (sorry I actually forgot where I got it from on the forum, was a while ago).