Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 15-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
scott b

Car: 2003 Subaru Impreza RS
Send a message via MSN to scott b
exhaust heat wrap

hey guys,

exhaust has made a rattle noise since the day i got it fitted new. spoke to the workshop and had a quick look myself, i few of the heatsheilds seem to have a bit of play. so i plan on throwing them off and chucking on some heat wrap for precaution measures. is there any reason why i cant remove the one over the muffler between the boot? i want to get rid of all of them, just thought i should see if there is any reason why i cant?

also i had a quick look at the heat wrap, there was the rolls of wrap, the metal ties, and also some foil looking stuff. what of these do i need? and any tips on putting it on?

all help is great

cheers,
scott

Click to go to my Readers Ride

^ Nothing like that anymore :P ^
scott b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 15-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
i had a read on club 323 regarding the exhaust sheilds falling off, nad there was a suggestion to use massive hoze clamps to holt them on, cus thats how they are on there standard but they rust and break lol
Old 15-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
leave the ones on the body they protect your interior

it does help keep heat out of the car but it's choice,
heat wrap works only when it's done totally right.
what normally kills it is the corrosion on the stell is left and not protected and then wrapped and with the contraction and expansion of the metal in the heat wrap. it then leads to excellerated corrosion spots and holes.

IMO. Most of it is to keep you cool.

It does work I did a whole SS X pipe and to diff section of a VY V8 calais and it makes difference. We noticed it as it was summer and 3 bums thought it was cooler in the car. In fact on the same drive to WSID it seemed the fan was not on as high a setting.

but this is a S/C V8. But the hard part is preperation and after paint to seal it.
We used the whole thermo cool kit. 2inch wide tape and 3 packets of SS ties.

The bad thing is when it scrapes no noise but if it rips you have to do it again. we just added more ties and it has section of wrap missing now. which is said to be bad but the car gets quicker so. Can't be that bad.

but must be noted we also sprayed the underbody with more underbody spray. when the exhaust went.

He did it all just for cooler ride. as he noticed extra heat, might of also been the gum on the rear carpet seat bubbling.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
scott b

Car: 2003 Subaru Impreza RS
Send a message via MSN to scott b
cheers buddy,

im just really lost for ideas with these heat sheilds, and its pissing me off something fierce. i may get a quote from the workshop to see how much they'd charge to do it for me,

thanks for the help

Click to go to my Readers Ride

^ Nothing like that anymore :P ^
scott b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
look IMO anything attached to the body near the rear keep - new screw/bolts and washers will keep it quite

on the pipes them selves. Simple - 4inch or 5.25 inch angle grinder and 3mm disc on the weld tabs.

won't kill it.

in fact if you can get under your car have a look, you cna proberly wokr out what's loose. and go ot a exhaust shop during a dead time and ask if they can TACK BACK ON THE sheilds.

it will stop the noise. $20 latter your done. Should not charge you more then that.
in fact your in sydney any number of the super special stores can do it and proberly won't charge more then $50 if that. especially CASH.

you get them to do it. pull the wallett with $20 or two $20 go how much
if they aint' busy might not even bother.

Or the place that fitted it.

in most cases for example

if you own a falcon - commy camry or even Avalon ( saw one today dead BOX sorry not screwed box fluid was black didn't even get gears bunny hopped )

YOu can buy of the shelf OEM type factory replacment you bolt on. But none come with sheilds and other then less noise - NO customers notice any extra heat.

On some cars like older subaru's you find it's thicker on the bottom a feature of outback and forresters. just for stone and rock protection.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote