Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 19-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Exclamation I gots green oil!

OK, so I was going to celebrate the TX3 being off the road for 2 years, by starting it tomorrow, so I can tow it to an exhaust shop. A few highs and lows today, but long story short, it pays to be thorough!

Blown head gasket (well, leaking) at cylinder #3. I don't remember the car chewing through coolant, so this is very strange. particularly strange that it passed enough coolant past the intake valves and still didn't boil off in the valve cover. Any chance this could be something other than a head gasket?

Yay,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 19-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
well thats a pain in the bum. better to find it now, and not when it's all back together and finished.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
chicaboo

The disappointing thing Ryan, is that day was going to be tomorrow. The only reason I took the valve cover off was so I can get it refinished in black HPC (and put on gay temporary valve cover). I also figured while the cover was off I could tip a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and let it sit over night, so I could crank it without the plugs in and get the rings and bore lubed up before the big hot start. That would also help prime the turbo lines too.

I have a brand new head and phat cams sitting under my hi performance bed. So I guess I will just have to get a quality head/valve cover gasket set to get me going again... The annoying thing is that the head will have to come off again to do the rings, bugger... I'm not entirely sure what the best course of action is now.

Gav.
Old 20-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #4
Pattax

Car: asdasd
It's aids.

tx3 closed due to aids.
Pat.
Old 20-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
chicaboo

Thanks Pat.

I'm kind of wondering if it's a cracked head? That makes more sense to me, as I just can't see how coolant could splash up past an intake valve seal like that.

Looks like I will have to fit the valve cover, run it for a bit until it's warm and then remove the valve cover to check if more coolant has gone in.

Still confused,
Gav.
Old 21-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
Nah its all good to go, green means go. If the oil had been red well....maybe not. And if it was orange..you just drive it harder...
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
can we stop with the stupid remarks already guys.

Gav needs positive input hello.........

Gav, if you need to reuse this head instead of the reco one you want ported etc, get the head off & get it tested on the bench to see if it is indead cracked.

If you need a spare head, as I said prior mate, you got one. I'll whip it up to you no probs!

Sounds like a torn gasket (water jacket tear) to me Gav without looking @ it?

Why don't you ask em' on fl.com buddy?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
i dont think that can be a blown gasket, as the only gasket in that chamber is the one that goes on the tappet cover, and that one does not carry any journals im sorry to hear this gav
Old 22-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
thats a lot of coolant to get past the intake valve seals from a blown gasket, it looks like a cracked head, only way you could get that much in there
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
chicaboo

I think it is a cracked head or a tear in the head gasket going from the water jacket to head stud, and maybe cracked too.

Thanks for the support guys. I'm leaving it until the weekend to make a deceision as to what to do.
Gav.
Old 22-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
mmmmmmm, I'm sideing with Davo now that I've had time to think about it Gav. Reckon it is a cracked head. But how?

Mate, look @ it this way Gav. If you can explain how engine oil got past the Garrett compressor & into air ram tube (pre-compressor mind you), just due to blocked air ram, anything is possible. Considering Turbo was found to be OK.

I really don't know how fresh coolant ended up sitting in the guides/head craters? I still can't see how? If head is cracked, where?

The only way I'll know for sure with compressor wonder is when engine is started again & run well. This unfortunately won't be for a while yet.

Pls let us all know when you inspect it closer so we can all be put out of our misery Gav.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
Old Grey

Car: Astina BG 1991 - Rx7 S4
Looking down the plug hole it looks dry. It looks like it could be a crack. Cracks are usually in that area.
Another thing is corrosion, if the car has been sitting for 2 years it may have corroded through.

If you can pressurize the cooling system it may tell you where it's coming from you just need a compressor, a regulator set to about 15psi, and a rubber plug that fits the rad cap hole.

Time for a rebuild or a swap motor from the wreckers
Old Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
chicaboo

I've got a replacement head, so no worries there. But if the motor has further issues (I'd be surprised), that's another matter entirely. I'm just gonna throw a valve cover back on and get it hot and see if it overheats. If it overheats, the leak is bad. If it doesn't, it only needs to run long enough to get to the exhaust shop and then have a leak-down test before replacing the head, and possibly rings (and maybe bore).

Gav.
Old 25-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
dont suppose you had a blonde in your engie bay at all...maybe she put coolant in instead of oil

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
chicaboo

Nah, but then, some blondes I could tolerate that from.

Long time, Keeley!
Gav.
Old 25-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
lol as long as they are half naked its all good huh?

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #17
chicaboo

I'm not fussy. Or that lucky...