Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Introduce yourself

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
devilishdesigner

Car: Mazda Astina hardtop, Volvo 122s, Rover P4 Cyclops
New Hardtop Owner

Hi All,
I have just purchased my first Mazda last night and discovered this forum while seeking additional information on the model.

I have always been an old car owner (Currently have a 1967 Volvo 122s Amazon and a 1951 Rover P4 Cyclops in the garage) but after my daily driver died last week I have been on the hunt for something that looks good, drives nicely, is fairly frugal, fairly safe and affordable.

I stumbled across the Astina BA series 3 Hardtops by chance and was quite taken by the styling of them. They also appear to be available with remarkably low kms. Having seen a couple in dealerships I went out and test drove an auto locally and was bitterly disappointed. The engine rattled and strained, gearbox hunted and jolted, brakes were touchy and body was rough. I was considering giving up on the model but later in the day I got a call back from another seller to come around and see his one and, since I had no other cars to see at the time thought I'd give it a shot.

Second car was a manual, 145,000km, from what I could see in the rain the body was immaculate aside from 2 scratches from what I could see in the rain, underneath and underbonnet was clean (a slight leak at the top cam cover gasket appeared after a drive, hopefully the gasket will be replaced for RWC). Inside was clean, but importantly it drove beautifully, Engine smooth, quiet, responsive, nice shift, smooth brakes, disks look near new, Bendix pads, decent tyres, working immobiliser, working aircon, only complaint I had with it was that the clutch took up very low, only a fraction of lift with the pedal before it started to take - is this normal for these Astinas or is it due for a worn clutch/poor adjustment?

Anyway, the car seemed to meet all my criteria so I put down a deposit and will hopefully collect it later this week once RWC has been completed. The Hardtops seem to be an uncommon beast, were many made?

Sponsored Links