Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
Audio, the whole shebang

Ok, so I'd like to pimp the audio in my SP. First things first, head units. The most important thing for me is front-panel usb for thumb drives, so I'm thinking something like the Kenwood KDC-MP438U or Clarion DXZ385USB. Looking at less than $200. Your thoughts?

Second, speakers. I'm thinking Boston SL60s, which seem to be pretty popular among astina owners and others. I figure I'll spend a fair amount on a decent pair of front speakers, and leave the back ones stock for now. Is that wise? Would it be worth paying even more, and going Boston Pro60s (which everyone seems to think are amazing)? Should I replace the stock rear speakers with a couple of 4" 2-ways?

Sub. Right. I don't want a big sub. I mostly listen to rock, alternative, acoustic - basically the sort of thing they play on Triple J. I don't listen to dance, techno, r&b, or any of that type of music that would warrant a large sub. With this in mind, I want tight and accurate bass, not deeper or louder. I definitely don't want a sub that drowns out the mid and high ranges, which for me is where the action is. Also, I'm wary of losing too much boot space, since I do a lot of road tripping - in fact, I plan to have this all set up before a 10 hour drive to Byron Bay for the Splendour in the Grass music festival. With this in mind, would an 8" sub be suitable? What sort of enclosure would you guys recommend, if any? Has anyone tried something like this?

Amp. I am unsure of what criteria I should be considering in purchasing an amp. Should I use it to power just the front speakers and sub, and run the rears off the HU? What RMS rating should I be looking at? 2 Channel or 4? I understand what amps do, but not really the differences between them, or how to tell a quality amp from a crap one. Also I don't need it to be fully sik bro, just powerful enough to be loud inside, not necessarily out. I'm thinking I'll velcro it down underneath the LHF seat. I'll probably go with a brand that I recognise.

Nb. I also plan to put in some sound deadening. Not dynamat - I don't have that kind of budget - but maybe the Jaycar stuff, to help stop the veritable opera of vibrations which happens across the entire rev range.
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
mike_d87
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina
I'm not an expert when it comes to car audio, but I would personally be steering clear from clarion. Myself and my brother have had trouble with head units burning holes in CDs, not through the disc, just the data layer. I've recently had something take a chunk out of a disc. Clarion took them for about 2 weeks, my brothers 3 or 4 times, and every time "No fault, possibly users burning software", even though they're original CDs.

I have Soundstream Tarantula splits in mine and I like them but I regret getting them, your money can be spent better!
mike_d87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Ok, Im not much of an audio nut myself but my experience tells me:

1. That Kenwood would be good for $200 but for a bit more i'd look at the JVC range...loads of choices, value for money and the setup is wicked, Epsilon are also a quiet achiever...

2. Speakers, those bostons you got are right on the money if you like mid/ high like me...

3. Pioneer have an awesome range of shallow mounted subs and they are pretty dam accurate to...especially in th right enclosure mind you...

4. DO NOT RUN YOUR FRONT SPEAKERS OFF THE H/U!!! It would be a waste to buy Bostons with an nominal rating of 75w and run them off a H/U with 18w RMS...Id go with a 4 channel if you are running the sub use the front 2 channels to run the speakers and bridge the 2 rear ones for the sub...id probably go for an amp that has around 400-500w RMS output...plz also choose a reliable brand or your system will suffer....

Chers,
John

P.S. I also agree with the Soundstreams. Bought them from Autobarn because they were "The Best" and never liked them after that...you live, you learn...

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Another vote for JVC here - ive got JVCs in both my cars. I had a clarion in the Beetle, and hated it.

I'd still go at least a 10" sub. I listen to JJJ (as well as most of the stuff i listen to on CD being 'alternative') and my 12" suits it fine. Subs are quite good these days at covering a range of frequencies more than something made 5+ years ago. And you can always put it in a smaller box to give you tighter bass.

As for an amp, a 4ch that is capable of running the some splits off 2 channels, and the other two bridged for a sub would be the way to go. If you want rear fill, just run them off the HU.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
mussing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
As for an amp, a 4ch that is capable of running the some splits off 2 channels, and the other two bridged for a sub would be the way to go. If you want rear fill, just run them off the HU.
That sounds like the way to go. Can anyone recommend a good 10" sub (and enclosure requirements etc) or 4 channel amp?
Old 13-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Squirt758

Car: Hopefully a 1991 BG Astina
http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/c...nge/index.html

There is also somewhere that tells you how to make an enclosure for them, or you could buy the pioneer one...

I am a Pioneer fanboy so, yeah...
Squirt758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Theres some for sale in the FS section...

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
I like my Pioneer dual voice coil sub. Generally the instructions of the sub will give a minimum/optimal/maximum box size in the specs, and you can tune the sub accordingly. It's a minefield of info, but luckily i've got mates that compete in Audio SQ competition so i can pick their brains.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #9
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
i'm running a 12" sony sub and its pretty good considering i got it for $93. RRP is $300ish with box. i second dans option, 4ch amp running front splits and sub, rear 6x9 off HU, thats my setup and it works great
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
mussing

I decided not to go the Boston SL60s and instead to save a little money (and electricity) by going 60W RMS instead of 80. To that effect, would it be possible to mount a set of Pioneer Premier TS-D720C 6 3/4" 2 Way Speakers in the front? Fabricating spacers wouldn't be an issue, but making custom door pods would be.

The mounting depth is 64.5 mm.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
guntersmells

Car: Mazda 323 Astina '02
I'm looking at getting some speakers and sub as well, with the same specs. as you more or less.

I have a Clarion H/U and it's been really good, it was about 170 from 450, cos it was last years model.
guntersmells is offline   Reply With Quote