Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 22-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #21
Hebz
Funkoars - C.O.T.Y

Car: '96 Mazda Hardtop 323 Beast-Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
if your goin to look at the alpine dealer where you goin??? i suggest gold coast car sound at slacks creek...
Haha, nah sorry man - I live in Rockhampton, not Brissy or the awesome Gold Coast. I'll be down there next year though . . .

I'll be going to Rocky Car Sound (so sounds like a franchise or something close) After I type this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
Your volume levels of built in amplification will not make a cent of difference no matter what brand you run. Sound quality however will vary between a no name head unit and a brand.

I suggest the main feature you look for is the in built high pass filter and low pass filter which means you can manage your frequencies from the driver's seat and not have to crawl in the boot to tweak, go back the the drivers seat to test and then back to the boot to tweak etc... pain in the anus. Tweak and listen simultaneously it's the only way.

Same goes for EQ, most people wouldn't have a clue how to use them, but once you play with it you will realise the flexibility and how you can change the sound to specifically suit your genre, some head units have some presets, they are usually bull****... make your own.

I personally would go with either alpine or clarion. I have an Alpine CDA-9855R, and i would never ever ever buy another head unit. It retails for $799, i managed $630 at JB-hifi, i think the guy nearly cried when he sold it at this price, he told me to get lost and never come back coz he'd forever regret the deal.

Anyways, the clarion definitely has the better features, so in your case with your budget i would go the clarion for the features. Pioneer is OK, but I'm simply not a fan, maybe it's because I've heard a cheap pioneer sub (gross) and every man and his dog has pioneer, I had the top of the range sony before the alpine, it was good, but retailed for same as alpine, and had less features and lower quality.

Don't rule out kenwood.
Thats what I like personally about Alpine - The uniqueness. And the fact that Everyone has Pioneer.

But I have ruled out Clarion, too plasticy and feels cheap. It really depends on how I like the feel of the Alpine ones I'm looking at today.

I definatly want an equaliser, but as for the filters - didn't even think about them, but now that you've explained it - makes sense, so thanks for that.

Kenwood maybe . . . . maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitz View Post

on a different note will this be running stock speakers? amped speakers? a sub? an ipod? a car kit? now or in the for seeable future? as if the answer is no to all or most of those then these options above are probalbly over kill for your needs. aaron got an awsome lil deal the other day on a alpine unit and it came with an ipod cable... it was around the 300ish area i think for the 2 items and it is pritty good would meet all your needs. and has some cool features. short of that there is things like:

cheers kyle
Haha fair call. I'll give you a layout of my system. Aftermarket throughout.

- 6" splits (Focals) in the front, which I plan to run of the headunit
- 6x9's rear shelf (Undecided) which will run off an amp.
- x1 Subwoofer 10-12" - amped

Basically just thought that I would take advantage to use the headunit to amp the fronts, however - this may change at a later date. I currently have pioneer 5" in the front running off the tape deck (25x4) So I thought that I might put these in the rear 6" hole as fillers - don't know if they would drag down the overall quality or improve it. So it is subjext to changes . . .But you get the idea

Heb

Tha Hardtop Beast -- Gallery
Hebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #22
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
run the front speakers off of the amp...the splits always go better off of an amp...just run the rears off of the head unit...yes i know that means more cable but its the better way to do it at the start...you want better quality sound at the front and thats what the amp does...the rear is just to fill in space ...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #23
skitz
I'm not as dumb as my posts would indicate

Car: astina ba 97
Send a message via MSN to skitz
Quote:
run the front speakers off of the amp...the splits always go better off of an amp...just run the rears off of the head unit...yes i know that means more cable but its the better way to do it at the start...you want better quality sound at the front and thats what the amp does...the rear is just to fill in space ...
i totally agree with this amp the fronts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebz View Post
Haha fair call. I'll give you a layout of my system. Aftermarket throughout.

- 6" splits (Focals) in the front, which I plan to run of the headunit
- 6x9's rear shelf (Undecided) which will run off an amp.
- x1 Subwoofer 10-12" - amped

mind if i ask why you have both a sub and 6X9"?

Quote:
skitz: how often do you turn your head unit all the way up??? im just putting this out there... but that is quite possibly the reason your speakers keep blowing...
not meaning to change the topic here so i will just quickly comment...

my head deck has 0-62 volume i would generally listen to it at around 40-50 but as i am running all my speakers of an amp so the volume number isnt relitive as it is to do with the settings on my amp... if i wanted i could make it so that it was over kill loud at 20 or i could make it soft at 62. but i would stat that going by therory etc 50 is around 100-108db at the current settings (but thats just going by the thereory)
Quote:
i have a 16w rms alpine and on the volume scale of 0 to 35 i never turn it up past 21ish... and that's freaking loud (and i'm only running front splits off the h/u and sub) ... i wouldn't be in the car it that point either... when i had 6x9s in the rear 18 was deafening after 5 minutes
okay the only reason i sugested that he get the unit with the more WRMS is so he doesnt damage his speakers as much at high volumes as he has said above he has after market speakers that will be over 60WRMS (as aposed to the stock astina speakers that are like less than 11wrms) and he will only be driving them with 16-22WRMS so at hight volumes they will be well under powered and the HU will be cliping most likely and the voice coils in the speakers will not be happy :P hahahahaa

I know this from experience as i have been through 2 sets of splits in the past from cliping them.... so even the 22 will not be enough to fully protect him but it is way more than 16wrms there for alowing him to play them louder with less worry...(if he was still useing the stock speaker then it wouldnt mater at all the only diff would be that the speakers would play louder and harder off the 22wrms but with the risk of over powering them and having them blow at loud volumes with heaps of bass as they would be getting double there recomended power)

Still as bourban has sujested get an amp for the splits :P and run the 6X9" of the HU and the sub off your other amp the HU in my previous post will be more than adiquate for your needs i would say so its all again about the $$ you have. if you havent bought the amp you were planing on running the 6X9" off look into buying a 4channel amp... and buy a HU like the one in that above mention post and use the money you save on it to put towards the 4 channel amp.

wow we have kinda move off topic to the original asked question in the first post

cheers kyle

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Wakefield Park: 1:14.8100

Last edited by skitz; 22-05-2007 at 03:05 PM.
skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #24
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

not really...we are just making sure we can help him pick the right unit...

g-g-g g unit
Old 22-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #25
Hebz
Funkoars - C.O.T.Y

Well I wnet today and had a talk to the alpine dealer - very helpful and all that.

But bottom line is now I am confused I am about 50/50 on alpine and pioneer.

The units that I am looking at are:

ALPINE
-------
CDA-9883E
http://search.ebay.com.au/search/sea...trypage=search

The problem here is that I can't find a discount on it on eBay
When shipping is added - It comes to the $399.00 I was quoted for it at the Alpine dealer . . . .

PIONEER
--------
DEH-P7950UB
I actually put a bid on this one But I will prolly get outbid - I bid $220.00

Wish there was one that you could change the backing colour - I'd be there fo' sho!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I am in one of those mindstates where I can't think so definate.

I need to go away for a day and have a good long think about it.

The Alpine dealer said that the main thing was to make sure that the unit has 3 preouts - that way I can control everything from the HU, and then went on to say about if i didn't have this then I would need to do something with my amp channels.

He said that High and Low Pass filters are useless unless i am building a ystem worth bout 5-6 grand and that wouldn't really matter - although he said all decent units have that anyway.

Pioneer has more functions - looks slighty nicer sort of, but Alpine is Unique, solid. Both come with Warrenty.

The only reason I like the DEH-P7950UB over the DEH-P5950IB is that it has a full equaliser that I can change manully to suit the music i will be listening to. Also the screen looks beastier - and all over it isn't that much more.

Dunno - confused.

Screw it - appreatiate all the work and info you guys have given me - I'll think it over my 15 hours at work tomorrow.

Keep the opinions coming. . . I am narrowing it down

Cheers guys

Im out

Heb

Old 23-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #26
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Alpine
Old 23-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #27
skitz

in reading your above post it looks to me like you have already made your choice man and your just thinking about it.....

at the end of the day who cares if it is Unique woopti doo dar you said it your self you like the features and functions of the pioneer and the look. dont settle for the lesser. pick the one that first court your eye after you looked at the specs.

pioneer VS Alpine fetures...
pioneer----------------------------------------alpine
50/63/80/100/125Hz high and low---------------50/120/160Hz high and low
50wX4 22WRMS X4-----------------------------50W X4 18WRMS X4
USB Port and Ipod functioality-------------------ipod compadable the CDA-9883R has USB as well!
4-volt preamp outputs--------------------------2-volt preamp outputs
bluethooth compadable through add on----------bluetooth ready
SLA (Source Level Adjuster)
5 Preset + 2 Custom EQ Mode
EEQ(Easy Equalizer)----------------------------Bass Engine (bass center frequency, width,
Bass, Mid & Treble Tone Controls---------------and level, plus treble center frequency and
Bass Booster : 0 ~12dB in 2dB steps------------level adjustments)

hmm even though i personally prefer the HPF and LPF on the apline i would never buy a new HU with only 2volt rca's .... as i run amps and that for me would be enough to through this model of my list ... is there another alpine you would rather compare...? as the pioneer unit is way better personally just in that area and in adjustments....

cheers kyle

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Last edited by skitz; 23-05-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 23-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #28
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

dont ever buy the first one that catchs your eye...thats normally just looks...did you listen to each ones? if so what one gave you better sound???
Old 24-05-2007, 01:12 AM   #29
Hebz
Funkoars - C.O.T.Y

Haha - you two are exactly what my mind is saying to me.

Quote:
i totally agree with this amp the fronts!

mind if i ask why you have both a sub and 6X9"?

cheers kyle
I only intend to play the sub on particular occasions. . . like when I am showing off

"Rollin' down ma windows - yea I got an airconditioner, but I have the sound I want the whole world to listen ta"

Plus I just assumed it would be better. . .

Quote:
.. is there another alpine you would rather compare...? as the pioneer unit is way better personally just in that area and in adjustments....

cheers kyle
Hmm. . . well according to my reasearch that is the second best Alpine HU with a Cd mech. . . wtf is 9883r???

Quote:
dont ever buy the first one that catchs your eye...thats normally just looks...did you listen to each ones? if so what one gave you better sound???
Yep but as they were different companies, they were different speakers - so I can't really compare.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is simply this. Its the FEEL of the units. The Pioneer CP (the detachable part) feels cheap and plasticy - the volume knob isnt smooth and its got that feel to it. . .

Whereas the Alpine one feels smooth and well put together. The volume know is smooth and the feel of the CP is heavy and feels like its made from a metal compared with plastic. It makes it feel more solid. . .

How can I put this. . . Its like comparing a Kia with a real car. Kias are cheap and when you jump inside it feels cheap and nasty. Whereas real cars like mazda are impressive and have a nice feel. Kias come with more features at the same price. . but are still crap.

Although this is only a HU not a car - and its not as bad as a Kia. . .

The Pioneer looks nicer. . .

Bah

Heb

Old 24-05-2007, 01:35 AM   #30
skitz

rofl 9883r is sum thing i found on a pomy site :P hahahahaha it had some more features wheather it actually exists i dunno :P hahahaha rofl

but going back to what i said if ur planing to run amps seriously consider a diff alpine unit as sum units have 7volt rca's now ... so 2volt is letting the team down a lil

good luck though with ur choice:P

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Old 24-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #31
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

skitz he isnt doin competition work and not goin to be using the subs all the time...no need to get the top of the range...ive had a pioneer for ages now, havnt had money to upgrade it and the volume knob has and always will feel ****ty changing volume...from the alpines ive seen they have basically the same navigation as the pioneers...if your saying the PIONEERS are the same as a KIA and the ALPINE is the same as a MAZDA youve already made your desicion in ALPINE/MAZDA hahhahaah
Old 24-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #32
Hebz
Funkoars - C.O.T.Y

Quote:
rofl 9883r is sum thing i found on a pomy site :P hahahahaha it had some more features wheather it actually exists i dunno :P hahahaha rofl

but going back to what i said if ur planing to run amps seriously consider a diff alpine unit as sum units have 7volt rca's now ... so 2volt is letting the team down a lil

good luck though with ur choice:P
Well the next Alpine model up (CDA 9885) has three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs (subwoofer output has bass level control) - but it is about $460.00 (thats including postage). I can't seem to get Alpine much cheaper on eBay. I can only find ones that are about $30.00 off what they are in the local store.

But other than the pre-amp outputs. . . there isn't much difference between the 9885 and the 9883E.

Btw - Wtf is pre-amp outputs and their voltage difference?

Quote:
ive had a pioneer for ages now, havnt had money to upgrade it and the volume knob has and always will feel ****ty changing volume...
This is the exact reason I am considering Alpine. Not for the volume know itself - but for the fact that I don't want to down the track a bit, not be impressed or happy with it.

Quote:
from the alpines ive seen they have basically the same navigation as the pioneers...if your saying the PIONEERS are the same as a KIA and the ALPINE is the same as a MAZDA youve already made your desicion in ALPINE/MAZDA hahhahaah
I can feel the quality difference between Alpine and Pioneer - I suppose it is just a mental thing. But there is a large price difference there.

The get the same product from both companies - Alpine would be a couple of hundred more.

Still even the most expensive Alpiine unit only has 18RMS, not that I have any idea what this means EXACTLY (I've got a decent idea)

might just keep looking on eBay for a day or 2.

Heb

Old 24-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #33
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
Heb, if you are willing to part with $900 i'm willing to part with my clarion DVD head unit. Hardly used, cost $2700 new. It's top of the line, touch screen multi zone, also has 200 watts built in as well as 3 amp outs and also has in for accesories (ie PS 2 etc...)

Let me know if you are interested.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #34
skitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebz View Post
Btw - Wtf is pre-amp outputs and their voltage difference?

Heb
I highly recommend going 4 volts! You will get better dynamics, headroom and much less hiss from the signal. This means you can turn it up as loud as a 2 volt HU, but with cleaner and better sound quality that you can easily notice.

but i like this guys deff of it as i was at a loss for the right way to frase it and he got it spot on...

"Your amplifier is receives a low voltage from the head unit and increases it to a higher voltage (and current). This voltage is music. The problem is, electrical noise may be present and that too will be amplified resulting in alternator whine, ignition noise, etc. If you turn the amplifier gains down, the electrical noise is amplified less, but so is the music. The higher voltage head units put out more so you can still get satisfactory volume with the power amp gains reduced thus the system sound to noise ratio is improved!"

hope this helps man

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Old 24-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #35
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Quote:
I highly recommend going 4 volts! You will get better dynamics, headroom and much less hiss from the signal. This means you can turn it up as loud as a 2 volt HU, but with cleaner and better sound quality that you can easily notice.

but i like this guys deff of it as i was at a loss for the right way to frase it and he got it spot on...

"Your amplifier is receives a low voltage from the head unit and increases it to a higher voltage (and current). This voltage is music. The problem is, electrical noise may be present and that too will be amplified resulting in alternator whine, ignition noise, etc. If you turn the amplifier gains down, the electrical noise is amplified less, but so is the music. The higher voltage head units put out more so you can still get satisfactory volume with the power amp gains reduced thus the system sound to noise ratio is improved!"

hope this helps man
can you please speak english...i barely understood 1 word...

also, if he isnt goin to be using this unit as a major sort of comp he wont have to go 4volts pre out...my pioneer headunit is only a 2.2V pre out and it sounds blooody good...but i think that might be because of the $1000 worth of amps

Last edited by bourbon; 24-05-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 24-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #36
skitz

Quote:
can you please speak english...i barely understood 1 word...
**** i understand it in my head but am bad with words hahaha maybe i will give you ur own advise to join car audio masters ... as they will easyly say it in an easy way to understand

soz man

ow and the pioneer unit just has more room for upgrading later down the track... etc and if there the same price then.... get the one with the better features etc

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Old 05-06-2007, 12:22 AM   #37
Hebz
Funkoars - C.O.T.Y

Well guys,

After having a good long think about all of it, I finally decided that I would go with the Alpine H/U.

However, I decided that I would go one step up and get a CDA-9885.

Anyway, my plan was to go and buy it last friday. But that thursday night at work was insanly busy and I didn't end up leaving until 3am got home - ate, shower and all that - bed by about 4ish. Was sooo f***** tired that I slept until like 2-3 ish. I decided that the unit could wait another week as I cbf driving to the Alpine dealer before it closed at 5. That night I had a day off, so I went out - met up with this guy who works at an Eclipse dealer. . . started talking about speakers and shiz, really good bloke, told me that he would hook me up with a system and give me a free custom install

Went to see him while he was working the next day and he gave me a quote on a system for a great price (in the other thread )

But this is the headunit he recommended for me.

KD-AVX11
RRP $769.00

The unit offers all-round A/V entertainment with a widescreen color TFT monitor neatly packed into a 1-DIN size unit. With GIGA MP3 MULTI, you can play thousands of songs burned on a DVD disc. The unit is compatible with MP3/WMA/WAV audio and DivX® and other video formats.

Highlights
• Power Output: 50W x 4 Max.
• MOS-FET Power Amp
• Built-in Widescreen Monitor
• Ready for Bluetooth Adapter*
• GIGA MP3 MULTI
• WAV/MP3/WMA Compatible (DVD/CD)
• DivX®/JPEG/MPEG1,2 Compatible (DVD/CD)
• Ready for iPod**
• 108MHz/12-bit Video DAC
• 192kHz/24-bit Audio DAC
• DTS Digital Out/Dolby Digital/ MPEG Audio
• 7-Band iEQ
• J-BUS Terminal
• AV Output Terminals (Front/Rear/Subwoofer/Video)
• AV Input Terminals
• Motorized Slide-Out Face
• Shock Proof Memory
• Wall Paper Setting
• Amp Defeat Switch
• Tel. Muting
• Rear-View Camera Ready
* KS-BTA200 required, not available in some countries
** KS-PD100 required

DVD/VCD Section
• DVD-R/-RW, +R/+RW, VCD Compatible
• Multi-Border DVD Compatible
• Video Format: NTSC/PAL
• Zoom (for DVD)*
• Direct Chapter/Track Access*
• Pause/Step/Slow*
• VCD Playback Control
* Remote control only

Monitor Section
• 2.7-inch Wide Color TFT Monitor
• 16:9 Aspect Ratio (Selectable 4:3)
• Selectable Angle
• Aspect Select

J-BUS Section
• Bluetooth Adapter (KS-BTA200, not available in some countries)
• Interface Adapter for iPod (KS-PD100)
• Digital Player Interface Adapter (KS-PD500)
• CD Changer
• Line-In Adapter (KS-U57)
• AUX-In Adapter (KS-U58)

Bluetooth Wireless Technology Section*
• Hands-free Call
• Voice Recognition Dialing**
• Audio Streaming and Control
• SMS (Short Message Service) Display
• Phonebook Transfer
• Call Record List (Dialled/Received/Missed)
• Auto Answer (On/Off/Reject)
• Mic Gain Control (with Automatic Echo-canceller and Noise Reduction)
* KS-BTA200 required, not available in some countries
** In conjunction with voice recognition compatible mobile phone

iPod Control Section*
• Play/Pause
• Skip/Search
• Random/Repeat
• Text Display
* KS-PD100 required

CD Section
• CD/CD-R/CD-RW Compatible
• CD Text
• Direct Track Access*
• Random/Repeat Play
• Intro Scan
* Remote control only

Tuner Section
• HS-IV Tuner
• IF Filter
• 18 FM and 6 AM Presets
• Station Name Registration
• SSM (for FM)
• Seek (Up/Down)
• AFNS/PNC
• Stereo/Mono Switch (for FM)
• Auto Antenna

Amplifier Section
• High-Pass Filter ON/OFF
• Source-Specific Volume Control
• Balance/Fader Control
• Volume Attenuator
• Max. Amp Gain Switcher

General Section
• Detachable Control Panel with Carrying Case
• Beep Tone Support
• COMPU PLAY
• Power-Off Mode Eject
• Multi-Function Wireless Remote Control
• Power Switch Standby Illumination

Anyway since I would be getting this with the whole package it is not at the RRP so that isn't so much my concern.

Just interested to know what everyone thinks - JVC is a step in a different direction from Alpine and Pioneer, and I know that Eclipse have some incredible Headunits and I would go them over Alpine now. But with this unit I can play DVD's so less disc changing, also have music videos playing with the music to make all the people who ride in the car think I am cool and later down the track I can purchase some Headrest moniters to enhance the whole experience.

Personally, at first I didn't really like tha whole look of this unit and I thought I won't be watching DVD's sooo. . . . just get an Eclipse CD7100. But It is the same price (For me) and it plays DVD's, it has kinda grown on me.

Not too sure about its SQ, but I listened to the advice that Skitz gave me that Bourban gave him and joined that caraudioaustralia-mobileelectronicsaustralia, so I hope to get some good info from there.

Let me know what you think guys - both positive and negative critisism welcome

Heb

Last edited by Hebz; 05-06-2007 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Adding Pics
Old 05-06-2007, 02:41 AM   #38
TStar

Car: 323F
Send a message via ICQ to TStar
just an idea..iirc there are amps from the new jvc exad series and alpine which DO have an integrated "digital" amp,delivering 50-70rms per channel.

TStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #39
skitz

hahaha thats really funny thats the same unit that dan was looking at of ebay... hahahahaha kool nice work man yeah its not a bad lil unit and jvc is still a good brand they are just being over run by brands like pioneer and alpine etc but they still are good .... i personally if u want the hole dvd thingy would get a dvd unit the 7" ones as how the hell do u watch a movie on a 2.7" screen hahahaha rofl

but nice man keep us updated with all the other gear u buy

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #40
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Nah, i was looking at the AVX2. I've already got an AVX1 in the Beetle.

Very user friendly interfaces, and good control. I'd certainly recommend a JVC.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote