Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 01-02-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
AstinaBoiV6

Car: ba
Send a message via MSN to AstinaBoiV6
How To: Making Gauge Mount In Ba Dim

hello.... ((LONG DETAILED VERSION))

heres how you mount 3 gauges quickly and easily in your BA astina..

needed: gauges
mdf or same material as chopping board (hard plastic)
ruler
drill with the drillbit used to cut out doorknob holes in house doors
silicone or screws if prefered

Firstly remove the centre console.. this is done by moving both front seats forward and removing the 2 screws that hold the rear part of the centre console on. unclip the part of the console where it joins the gearknob and remove it over the handbrake.. Now remove the 2 bolts which are close to where you uncliped the rear part of the centre console and also remove the 2 clips that are located in the footwell area of the console.

Now you can slide the centre part of the centre console over the gearstick but make sure you disconnect the lighter wires.

Remove the side panels of the dash on each side (where doors shut on it and u cant see it with doors closed) and undo any screws that are attatched to the dash. on the drivers side you can now remove the bottom dash part which is under the steering wheel by unclipping it and pulling it towards you gently. On the passangers side remove all bolts in the glovebox and unclip any clips then take the glovebox out and remove any of the bottom part of the dash which is plastic.

Now the easy part.. Removing the plastic part of the dash on top infront of driver. this is done by removing 2 bolts near each side of the steering wheel and then pulling the whole thing towards you as to unclip it.. do this slowly as you do not want to stuff it up.. Turn it towards you as to slide it over the top of the steering wheel..

Now you should be left with the plastic that holds the cd player and such instruments. Remove any devices firstly. there are 2 bolts on either side of this, remove them and slide it forwards. This is where the gauges will go and now to start measuring..

I found it to be 188mm and 62mm is a perfect fit (or was it 64? ) Anyway cut out the rectangular shape out of your desired material but remember hard plastic is good and easy to paint + its strong but not thick so looks good, mdf mite b to thick as u only need about 5mm thickness.

[IMG][/IMG]

Once the shape is measured, cut it out using a hacksaw or a jigsaw but keep straight lines so take your time.. then place the gauges on it to see how it looks and how far appart you want them. An easy way to do this is put one about 5-10mm from the edge and mark some points on the backing of the wood/plastic and then find the centre point. Drill this point out with the drillbit and then do the same on the other edge making sure the other gauge is same distance from edge.. To install the third just measure the distance from one edge to the other and mark the centre and then from top to bottom and mark centre.. Repeat as instructed before to cut hole..

Now you can install the gauges. Makesure u wired them up
To secure your gauge holder either screw or silicone it to the plastic console in the same place you would normally have a cd player.. I moved my cd player down 1 dim to the bottom. Anyway you think of securing it is good you can even make mounts.. Mine not finished as im still deciding..

Paint and decor as wished.. HERES SOME PICS SO U GET THE IDEA

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

OH YER PUT EVERYTHING BACK HOW IT WAS AND SEND PICS OF WAT YOUVE DONE IF USING THIS GUIDE

Team AJ Member PM 4 details
AstinaBoiV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 AM   #2
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
nice man but quick question did u get the gauges out of a old landcruser. they look like the 1 in the old model crusers.
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:22 AM   #3
AstinaBoiV6

nar i got them off a m8 who works at autobarn lol... he had them in his beemer and i got 4 free

Old 01-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
nice free be's. u can't pass up free be's. r u going on the cruise on sunday
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:29 AM   #5
AstinaBoiV6

nar dont think i will althought some1 will represent SPRINGWOOD MASSIVE sounds like fun.. im busy doing the interior of my bros car atm... But im def up for another cruise... HEY Y dont the northside ppl cruise over this way for a swim or sumfin??? all the cruises is us goin uptown lol

Old 01-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
AstinaBoiV6

NEWS JUST IN: i have re-sprayed all the blue parts of the dash a charcoal grey satin looks more realistic now

Old 01-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
And the pics will be along when??????
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
AstinaBoiV6

umm im guessing the pics will be put up later 2nite or early 2moro morning some time.. im waiting to see if my m8 can hook the gauges up 2nite..

Old 01-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #9
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
hhaha dude come on the cruise on sunday, your bro can wait :P there isnt gonna be another cruise for a while...cause this is 3 cruises in 2 weeks soo yeah...just come...

ohhh and also nice tutorial too mate...i had those same guages in my suzuki sierra...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote