Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Bodykits & Exterior

Old 15-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
Paint Protector

Well my paint sage is nearing completion (Wonder how many times I have posted that exact phrase, have to be 10+)

I have some dude coming round to put some paint portector on my car to fix the swirl marks that the dodgy bastards left all over it,

anyway, what is this paint protector stuff?

Is this really desighed with fixing swirl marks in mind or is this some dodgy method AAMI chose to save bucks?

Paint protector sounds like some top coat stuff that contains something like teflon or something.

also was paint portection an option on the BA?
or any idea where I could find out if mine had it before,
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 15-02-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Toyboy

Car: Ba Astina
Send a message via MSN to Toyboy
Paint protection isnt for removing buff/swirl marks,its for stopping the elements from ruining the paint job as quick!
But regular polishing and waxing can prolly do the same job,just requires some elbow grease! I think olmate has just told you what you wana hear to win you over!
Old 16-02-2005, 08:55 AM   #3
sik astina

Car: Ba 1.8L Turbo astina
Send a message via MSN to sik astina
Dont worry about the paint protector stuff, i hear its not worth the money, Ask any panel beater or detailer and ask them about it. Like theo said just polish it and wax it.
Old 16-02-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
skippy
Resident Dissident

Wasn't my idea, was AAMI's.

Basically
I got some hail damage on Fathers day,
made a claim
they sent me to a bunch and incompetant halfwits (half was not my first choice there)trading under the name Castle Hill Smash Repair, (FYI later they said I could of gone elsewhere, direct contradiction to what I was told as I asked if that was possible)

They tried to respray my car even though they obviously know nothing about painting (I have taught them things such as touching wet paint will leave finger prints, not sanding out chips means they will still be there, Bonnet releases go above the front bar not wedged under it)

Anyway after many many many trips back to get things fixed my only outstanding problem is when they buffed it they left swirl marks over the whole car, I have since then given them the car four times to fix this but they still can not.

So I went to AAMI and said I am finished with these useless wankers, here is my life time garuntee you organise it, and get it fixed.

They called some paint protector place and orgainsed them to come around and put paint protector on it which they will do next Tuesday.

So yeah do you think think this is an AAMI band aid or a real solution?

I have attached a link to some piccies of what I am talking about,

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2130663377
Old 16-02-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Your paint swirls will forever be protected from the harmful rays of the sun and birds bottoms until such a time it is washed wihout a compatible shampoo that cuts away that protective layer, then your swirls will once again be exposed to the elements...

Ablivious Amature Moneyhugry Idiots...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
The whole paint protection thing is a crock. Car paint for the last 2-3 decades has had protection against everything that the protection stuff is claimed to protect against.

As far as the application I'd like to see an assesor there when the job is done or get it done at the assesment centre. Maybe ask for a rep from Castle hill bodgies there as well.
Old 17-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
skippy
Resident Dissident

I too am of the belief that it will keep my swirls in pristine condition for the next few years,

I shall call pretending to be a potential customer and see what they say it does to fix damage as opposed to reducing future damage,