Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 28-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #21
A.E

Car: SP20 2002 yellow
So this noise is still there, wouldn't say it's gotten worse.

It's a top end rotational noise, sounds abit like timing chain slap lol, but most probably a lifter, question - these engines have hydrolic lifters??

Rupe - keeping my pockets empty since 2010 lol
A.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #22
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
No. They use shims in the lifter buckets to adjust the lash. Last checked mine at 200k and the worst were just at maximum clearance limit. No excessive noise.

You could pull the cylinder head cover and check for damage to the camshaft lobes, if something fell in the oil filler or damaged timing belt etc.

My ac compresser developed a tapping noise, with no effect on performance for a couple of years.

Noisy injector?

Have you tried locating the sound using a screwdriver or similar as a stethoscope? You can locate noisy injectors and valves etc that way.
Enkei RPF1 15x7, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 205/50 R15, RDA slotted rotors, HPX pads.

SOLD
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #23
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
i.e put the screwdriver pointy end onto the engine block, and the handle onto your ear. we use it for looking for bad bearings on electric motors. never used it on a car though!!
Old 29-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #24
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
I've only really done it out of curiosity, but you can hear all sorts of different stuff at different points on the engine. A few days ago I used this method to check injector vs lifter noise on the KLZE, which is supposedly bad for HLA tapping. Mine seems fine (although it was noisy the first few starts after being idle for many months), the injectors make more noise. esp the back right for some reason.

Obviously can't do this under load unless you're on a dyno (or crazy!)

Another thing I tried was attaching a $10 micropone to the engine and recording the sounds on my laptop while adjusting the ignition timing with the emanage. It really works! You can hear the sound changing slightly as timing is advanced closer to detonation. Can also hear the gearbox doing it's thing too.

I just reread the original post, which says 4,000rpm under load. If you want to know what pinging sounds like, drive an M101 Daihatsu Sirion on 91RON. I thought it was just my wife's car, but I heard another one driving next to me recently doing the same thing- light mettalic rattling noise proportional to engine speed. Stupid thing needs 98RON to avoid pinging even while cruising. Haven't figured out why yet.

You could try using 98 and see if it makes any difference to your car.
Enkei RPF1 15x7, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 205/50 R15, RDA slotted rotors, HPX pads.

SOLD

Last edited by Sleepy Gonzalez; 29-06-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #25
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Gonzalez View Post
I've only really done it out of curiosity, but you can hear all sorts of different stuff at different points on the engine. A few days ago I used this method to check injector vs lifter noise on the KLZE, which is supposedly bad for HLA tapping. Mine seems fine (although it was noisy the first few starts after being idle for many months), the injectors make more noise. esp the back right for some reason.

Obviously can't do this under load unless you're on a dyno (or crazy!)

Another thing I tried was attaching a $10 micropone to the engine and recording the sounds on my laptop while adjusting the ignition timing with the emanage. It really works! You can hear the sound changing slightly as timing is advanced closer to detonation. Can also hear the gearbox doing it's thing too.

I just reread the original post, which says 4,000rpm under load. If you want to know what pinging sounds like, drive an M101 Daihatsu Sirion on 91RON. I thought it was just my wife's car, but I heard another one driving next to me recently doing the same thing- light mettalic rattling noise proportional to engine speed. Stupid thing needs 98RON to avoid pinging even while cruising. Haven't figured out why yet.

You could try using 98 and see if it makes any difference to your car.
he filled with bp ultimate aparently?
Old 29-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #26
A.E

Car: SP20 2002 yellow
Yeah I use BP98 religiously. I won't use anything else.

I'll pull out the chassis ears if I have to, workshop tool we have.

Rupe - keeping my pockets empty since 2010 lol
A.E is offline   Reply With Quote