Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Technology + Gaming

Old 20-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Protege03
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mazda 323 Protege 03
Ps3

I just received a PS3 with my new Sony TV and i havent got any games yet.

just wondering who has a ps3 and what games you would recommend on buying that would be worth the money.
Protege03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 20-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
gtarone
w3rd.

Car: '01 Nissan 200sx S15
I would suggest using it purely as a blue ray player, and gettin an xbox 360 elite
Gta4 rocks, and is on both consoles great online too!
But i am a fan boi to xbox's :P

Steve
Old 20-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA '97 Astina
Ooooh welcome to the PS3 ranks. Depends what you're into. But most people will get into Grand Theft Auto 4, and yes, they are identical except that you don't have to pay for multiplayer if you have a PS3. If you're into driving then Grand Turismo prologue is great, better if you have a steering wheel though.

If you're into shooters, then Resistance: Fall of man is good (and cheap - it came out when the ps3 did), I'm playing Initial D Extreme Stage at the moment. Metal Gear Solid is alright i hear, but a lot of story... and not that much action. Usually i go to www.1up.com or www.gamespy.com and read the reviews first.

There are also a lot of free demo downloads from the playstation network, just make a new account and visit the store and you can download heaps of stuff.

Guitar Hero World tour is on it's way out in october with a kick ass drum kit, so that's what i'd be waiting for. That and Grand Turismo 5 (but this will take ages). Grid is an arcade style racer which is quite fun, with a good drift mode, but get the demo first and see if it's your kind of thing.
Old 20-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Protege03
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtarone View Post
I would suggest using it purely as a blue ray player, and gettin an xbox 360 elite
Gta4 rocks, and is on both consoles great online too!
But i am a fan boi to xbox's :P

Steve
Well i got the ps3 for free and im more of a playstation person as i have ps1, ps2 and now the ps3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smikey View Post
Ooooh welcome to the PS3 ranks. Depends what you're into. But most people will get into Grand Theft Auto 4, and yes, they are identical except that you don't have to pay for multiplayer if you have a PS3. If you're into driving then Grand Turismo prologue is great, better if you have a steering wheel though.

If you're into shooters, then Resistance: Fall of man is good (and cheap - it came out when the ps3 did), I'm playing Initial D Extreme Stage at the moment. Metal Gear Solid is alright i hear, but a lot of story... and not that much action. Usually i go to www.1up.com or www.gamespy.com and read the reviews first.

There are also a lot of free demo downloads from the playstation network, just make a new account and visit the store and you can download heaps of stuff.

Guitar Hero World tour is on it's way out in october with a kick ass drum kit, so that's what i'd be waiting for. That and Grand Turismo 5 (but this will take ages). Grid is an arcade style racer which is quite fun, with a good drift mode, but get the demo first and see if it's your kind of thing.
Thanks for the welcome.

hmm i will definately check out thos websites..

i borrowed gta 4 and i quite like it.. so ill be getting that eventually. i have heard a few good things also about metal gear solid. so i will check out the demo of that.

ok sorry for the noob question. so how do i get demos onto the harddrive to play them?
Old 20-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mondeo
I'm currently having some awesome fun playing Assassin's Creed.

I also have NFS: Pro Street, and while it's good fun it's not amazing. especially the handling, it's a little weird in some cases.

71.3kw@5341rpm - 394.4nm@3968rpm - Protek Dyno.
2000 Mazda MX5
hks_kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

when you go to the Playstation network (PSN), find the demo section and download them (it will take some time, so make sure you're on the net and 'perform in background', so you can still do stuff, when they're done there will be an extra name in the game section which will prompt you to install it when you try to open it, once it's installed that file will be gone and replaced with the demo in the game section, ready to play!

NFS: Pro Street is pretty cool too, the handling is quite real i guess but yeah a bit weird and difficult. Assassin's Creed is cool too! like GTA4 but medieval style, horsejack! I would suggest buying games only as you need them, otherwise you'll get sick of them or lose focus to finish one.
Old 20-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
oh man assasins creed, gta4 GT devil may cry... all good games dont get MGS4 unless ur a fan of MGS series. my mate has it n he can play it 4 hours (like me wit assasins creed) but i play it 4 5 min n got bored of it (like him wit assasins creed ) thats cus he grew up on the series since the first metalgear solid, n i grew up on nija gaiden, tenchu n other slasher close quarter games.. i only hada ps1 then i got a xbox so i didnt get to play them but even the one on xbox i didnt like that much. GTA4 is unbeleivably real. if you have any anger you take it out one the game. fighting, shooting, driving,flying(choppa) n ryding is all so fun. i got bored of it in a week tho, but id b playing it now if i had a ps3.. or if it was out on comp. if you end up getting a XBOX360 check out forza. thats handsdown (IMO) the best driving game, cus its GT handling and damage but NFS custumisation, and winning money is so hard cus if u redline even one time you do engine damage which you HAVE to repair at the end.. but enugh bout that i can go on for hours n hours haha
Old 21-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
Be a little bit carefull with the PS3 and playing games atm. Lots of people are having problems with the Blu-Ray drives crapping out, myself included. Unclear if this hardware related or due to the latest firmware. I had just finished MSG4 which was the first game I had played on the PS3 (Bought it for movies) and now it wont read any discs and needs RMA.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1

I personally would not upgrade to 2.42 firmware and wait for the next release.
Old 21-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Damn that sucks! I upgraded my PS3 to 2.42 and its fine (mine is jap tho), but thats really unfortunate!

Plenty of really excellent looking games on their way for the ps3.

One thing i wish though is that they had Gears of War 2! damnit, one reason i'd get or at least want to swap with an xbox to play it.

News just in: The new Need for Speed on PS3
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3169486

Last edited by Smikey; 21-08-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: NFS news
Smikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mondeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMal View Post
woo.

thank god I'm still running whatever firmware it came out of the box with....

makes me think twice about updating to 2.42

71.3kw@5341rpm - 394.4nm@3968rpm - Protek Dyno.
2000 Mazda MX5
hks_kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Ripper323
Carless Bum

Car: whatever I can borrow
Timeshift is a good 1st person shooter, but with the ability of the suit you are wearing, you can slow down, stop, or even reverse time. Good when you stop time, run to the enemy and steal his gun, then when the time unfreezes, they're like "Where's my gun?"
Assasin's creed is still a favourite of mine, and I just recently bought the PS3 edition of Buzz with the wireless controllers. Good fun and you can play online as well.
Old 21-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
02-KQ-LASR
SHO~247

Car: laser kq 2002
i soooo wish sony made it backward compatible.....
they would sell soo many more.

custom boot install(fibreglass boxes),mazda 3 handbrake rachet,power window motors x 2,power window switches, guage rings

its all gotta go!!!
pm me any offers!!
02-KQ-LASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

oh i think it is cus we n my mate played the original MGS1 from PS on his PS3. he has the new version 40Gb (one everione is saying isnt backcompatible) we didnt think of trying a ps2 game tho :|
Old 21-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #14
02-KQ-LASR
SHO~247

Car: laser kq 2002
from what i read it plays ps1 not ps2... which is stupid.

custom boot install(fibreglass boxes),mazda 3 handbrake rachet,power window motors x 2,power window switches, guage rings

its all gotta go!!!
pm me any offers!!
02-KQ-LASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

LOL that is kinda stupid
i know that when it 1st came out it was backcompadible, but then they downgraded it to save costs. i think thats only 4 the 40gb one i think that the top of the range one can still play PS2 games but i dunno
Old 21-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Welcome to the PS3 clan! I've been converted from xbox.. Currently playing
- GTA4
- GT5P
- Assassins Creed
plus i've got others slowly ticking over too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMal View Post
Be a little bit carefull with the PS3 and playing games atm. Lots of people are having problems with the Blu-Ray drives crapping out, myself included. Unclear if this hardware related or due to the latest firmware. I had just finished MSG4 which was the first game I had played on the PS3 (Bought it for movies) and now it wont read any discs and needs RMA.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1

From what i hear it doesn't matter if it's the firmware or not.. One day it'll be fine, the next it's not. The bubble just appears for ages whilst doing nothing! I've recently replaced the lens and tray mechanism in a mates PS3 [he was running V2.38 i think]. He had 2 months left on his PS3 and didn't want to send it back to Sony as it takes 6-8 weeks PLUS you do not get your original console back, it's a refurbished one. I personally do not like this one bit as you may have a pristine console when it's sent in, and get a blemished one back. Plus, once you receive the lens it's only a 45 minute job to change it over and you're back up and running [lens purchase arrives in less than a week].

I feel sorry for you Mal, I don't want it to happen to me either. If I still lived in Bowral I would offer to fix your PS3..

I also recommend setting up a Media server on your PC to stream stuff to the PS3.. I use a program called TVersity and it streams almost everything to the PS3 flawlessly.. The wireless feature out of the box works great on TVersity as well, even on a 54MBs router.

Adz

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #17
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPayner View Post
I've recently replaced the lens and tray mechanism in a mates PS3
Someone's just nominated himself to replace the laser in my PS2

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #18
Protege03
AstinaGT Regular

when does the next firmware come out?
Old 22-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #19
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Never know with these things?

All i know is that guitar hero world tour has druuuumsss!
Old 25-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #20
White_Midnight

Car: 97' Astina, 85' Datsun HB11, 99' Opel Vectra B
Yeah, PS3!

I thought if i should open a thread about PS3 and here it is.

I have a PS3 too, my games are: Unreal Tournament 3, The Elder Scroll´s: Oblivion, Ridge Racer 7, Colin McRae Dirt, GTA, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted, The Darkness,...

My online ID: Mr_Late_Night

I never had problems with the firmware´s, thanks Fortuna.
White_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote