Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 19-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #81
TheMAN

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
The fuel pump has been tested, a vacumme leak test has also been done. None came back with a problem. Only problems that have came back is and i quote

"Fault codes found indicate faulty oxygen sensors. Test o2 sensors, both have high resistance and both need to be replaced. No 2 spark plug tube has oil in it. This causes misfire. Rocker cover gasket needs to be replaced. Excess oil may have already damaged the lead and coil. but will not know until oil leak is repaired. Air intake pipe is also starting to perish + replace soon. Oil has been removed from no 2 spark plug tube, car is running without misfire"

Now i replaced the coil and leads already, so hopefully the new ones aren't damaged.
I'm afraid we're talking in circles
you already established that the fuel pump has been "tested"
how??? what methods were used to reach the conclusion that it's "good"?
what methods were used to determine that the O2 sensors had "high resistance"?

I realise that you're not the one that is performing the work and just relaying what the mechanic told you... but without finding out specific details, all we can do is speculate and go back and forth like this
I can't emphasise enough how important it is to provide specific details to us so we can give proper advice... as soon as we get specifics, we can assess your mechanic's competency and advise you what to do

Last edited by TheMAN; 19-11-2011 at 02:20 PM.
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #82
maztech

Car: ......
If you clear the code and go for a drive does it come back straight away.
Fix the top before you replace the sensor.

I wouldn't be replacing the sensors yet on the tests that have been done.

Last edited by maztech; 19-11-2011 at 02:28 PM.
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #83
Ben

Car: MPS
The man, we are defiantly going around in circles at the moment. Purely because i have nfi how they come to these results. It's back at the mechanics tomorrow (a different one) and i'll see what he says. I will pick his brain now that i know some knowledge.

Maztech, i'm not sure on that one. Since it was literally a week that it happened again. So i'm assuming if they were faulty, they would come back straight away. However, since nothing happened in that week we are un-certain when it came back. The mechanic should of cleared it then turned the car back on, then check it again. I will get him to do this tomorrow.

Overall, i've established that the "spit" is coming from oil leaking into the spark plugs. Once this is fixed, we will soon know more if that the sensors actually need replacing. If the leak was found in the first place, i would of saved money/ we wouldn't be talking about this.

Mechanic will hate me now, cause i'll be barking orders of what i want him to do

Last edited by Ben; 20-11-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #84
Ben

I thought i should update this just in case anyone else has this problem.

My car is now fixed and ready for the sydney road trip :P

So, in the end after replacing the coils, spark plugs/leads and fixing a oil leak and the fuel filter with it still spitting. We were having a laugh that it sounded like a helicopter at idle... Anyways, It ended up being the wire/plug that controls the O2 sensors. I'm sure TheMan can give us a insight of what this does.

But, its THIS THING!

So basically, my mechanic checked to see if still leaking oil (This didn't contribute to the problem either) after it was fixed. It was fine. So he thought it would be a fuel issue, and he planned to change the pump. However since he never actually has seen it in action of what it does, this was just another guess. So he was to order one in and i went on my merry way. As i was reversing out the car park, it did it! Drove it back into the shed and he checked the pressure of the fuel by removing some form of pipe where it connected to the engine. Fuel came flying out. He turned the car off, connected a guage, turned the car back on. Was reading around 50psi under throttle. He actually said it was a bit high. However, It was fine, therefore it wasnt a fuel pump problem. I left it with him to tinker.

I Gave him a list of things that i said that you guys have suggested on here. He told me that some of them wouldnt effect it (as we knew) but he was going to check it all anyways.

A few hours later he rang me up and told me to come in. He told me that he was checking the O2 sensors since it was throwing a code even though this doesn't produce the car to spit. The O2 sensors have been already replaced (by previous owner obviously) since they looked quite clean and new. As he was checking he checked out the plug, he apparently jiggled it and the car ran fine, let go and it went terrible (helicopter) again. He took it apart and sure enough the part was corroded/ the earth was broken. This was clearly making the car throw the O2 codes as well. A new part and its now running better than before! Such a simple thing that would of been fixed ages ago if a mechanic was to actually check things properly!

Last edited by Ben; 27-05-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #85
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Haha as my Cisco teacher would say. Layer one fault! (physical hardware) glad to know.its good again.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #86
Ben

I'm thankful that i can now drive somewhere without the fear of breaking down. Cause thats what it's been like for the past few months. Now nothing else better break *shakes fist*
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #87
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
Just so you know the plug your talking about is the earth connector!!
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #88
Ben

There we go! Knew it had something to do with earth... He did tell me, but that was like 8 hours ago now *shifty eyes*
Old 02-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #89
TheMAN

Car: .
wow who would have thought....
Old 13-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #90
swift jimmy

Car: Was '01 SP20 with FS-ZE
dude that sounded like what i went thru with my car the other month.. they replaced o2 sensors and went away.. just checked my car and they have also replaced that plug aswell :-O
swift jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote