Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 25-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #61
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
what about a BG one?? whats one of those worth?? and where do i look to find out what i have?? if all goes well i should have one tomorrow

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2004, 03:06 PM   #62
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
hey Rob

what's the difference in length between the driveshafts of F to G?

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2004, 09:02 PM   #63
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
The actual complete shaft length (with input shafts) may be different due to the size difference in the gearbox/diff.

But you can't interchange them anyway because of the shaft thickness that goes into the diff.
Old 27-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #64
ROB-80E

I'm diggin this back up. Been looking into the guru diff (Rupe you know) but efforts have discovered that to fit in our box, the ring gear would have to be changed, but the guru cannot be bolted to ours, due to having 10 bolts, compared to the guru's/MX6/Probes 12 bolts.

Basically, the MSP Diff looks like the way to go. My researching has also found that Yes they do break, but it can be fixed. The gears and the clutches do not break. The yoke I'll guess I'll call it, separates from the ring gear mount.

Solution.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attac...chmentid=39313

So who's still interested?
Old 27-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #65
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

cost?

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Old 28-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #66
ROB-80E

Working on it. By rights, going on the USD prices I've seen, the cost of the diff will be around the $800-$900AUD mark delivered. Still working on what other parts for your guys will be needed to fit it into your car...eg, drive shaft diff input.
Old 28-02-2005, 10:08 AM   #67
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
is that an LSD? or just a normal yet beefier version of what weve already got? this will only be suitible for G series applications yes?

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #68
ROB-80E

It's LSD. 2 way clutch type, and yes, only suitable for the G series.

Last edited by ROB-80E; 28-02-2005 at 10:33 AM.
ROB-80E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #69
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB-80E
I'm diggin this back up. Been looking into the guru diff (Rupe you know) but efforts have discovered that to fit in our box, the ring gear would have to be changed, but the guru cannot be bolted to ours, due to having 10 bolts, compared to the guru's/MX6/Probes 12 bolts.
I'm sure if you had enough people prepared to lay down a deposit then Guru would be happy to make a 10 bolt version.
It will probably end up like Mx6.com where people were changing their minds as often as they changed their underwear
Old 28-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #70
ROB-80E

Yes very true. But with the guru one, 10 is the minimum number, and the major problem would be getting people to come up with a 50% deposit for the diff. The MX6 diff retail was $1495. I'd be very surprised if I could get people interested let alone those who can afford it.

But yeah, IMO, these are the best diff's going round...especially for everyday road use and track work. For Drag, probably best to go with the Clutch type, but the torsen would certanly be a bloody huge improvement over the single spinner. Plus the Guru will not break. If they do, they are replaced free of charge.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:27 AM   #71
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

guru are done by autostyle. now known as extreme rotaries yeah?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #72
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1mo
guru are done by autostyle. now known as extreme rotaries yeah?
yep, autostyle/rohan ambrose etc

http://www.gurumotorsports.com/

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com

Old 01-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #73
pr1mo

hehe 20 doors down my work street. theres another rotary work shop here too
Old 01-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #74
fruitbat38

Car: 93 BG Astina, stock
Yeh I am interested. I cannot justify $1500 for a dif for my car. But thats moot cause I doubt 9 other people would be interested in paying that sort of cash for the Guru one.

I can get together $900 for the other type 2 way clutch (was it a Torsen?)... however I have other things I should spend money on first.

Now is this going to be a group buy?
Do we have a timeline to front up the cash?
And is there any info u can post up that would convince me to buy this rather than getting rid of a cockroach infestation in my house or get a non leaking exhaust or getting roll on lawn for the sand pit in front of my house or....

And can someone convince me I REALLY want this,
Old 01-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #75
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
The Guru unit probably won't be a group buy due to the logistics of finding ten people willing to shell out $1500 each for a torsen diff all at the same time. It got so messy on mx6.com that threads were locked off and people went into hiding and Rowan almost pulled the plug on the project, they only needed 5 people!

I'll put a poll to the people and see what happens.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #76
ROB-80E

Fruitbat, i'll dig up some info on the torsen for you. I found a really good site about 3 weeks ago, but have forgotten where now, due to finding out that the MX6 torsen wouldn't fit.

Major factor here is that the Guru diff will not break or wear out!

If you are a fan of twisty roads and corner stability, torsen is the type of LSD you should be looking at. The way a clutch type works is it begins to lock the diff based on the amount of torqe going to one wheel, or the fact that one wheel wants to spin faster than the other. When cornering the diff starts to lock and you will commonly get "chatter". This can create instability and most of all, will be a major contributor to increased tyre ware.

If drag is more your thing, clutch type LSD's are the favoured diff due to the action I described above. But as I said, torsen will also do the job quite nicely on the strip, and you'll also have the confordence of it not breaking.

The strength of the MSP clutch diff doesn't even compare to that of the Guru. MSP guys are already having problems with the revised model (the one available for purchase) but as I posted there is that one solution....but so far the diff hasn't been pushed to it's limits and a few of the guys aren't happy with it's action.

Now I would settle for the MSP diff if a guru does not go ahead...but from what I've said above, I'd choose a guru for the extra cost anyday.

Oh yeah, the guru can be closely compared to the Quaife that's available in the US. I noticed that boostedbatman has it on his to do list. Maybe we can get him on board with the Guru as it will be alot cheaper.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #77
ROB-80E

Here's a sales pitch for the Quaife LSD. Everything here applies to the Guru. i've spoken to Rohan at Guru/Extreme Rotories and he said that even on track cars he still has not had one break, and it if it did, he'd repair it under warranty.

Quote:
The Quaife Differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing).

In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the Quaife biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

The Quaife also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The Quaife Differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.

The Quaife's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage whether on the track or on the street.

The Quaife is extremely strong and durable and since the Quaife is gear operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly replacement.

The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits.

The Quaife has been proven in everything from SCCA Rally to Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a winning effort.

Every Quaife ATB Differential comes with something else other's don't have: a Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty applies even when raced !
Still looking for the mathamatical and mechanical explaination on the torsen.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #78
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

hmmm ... saturday nights + $20 fuel + Astina + Mt Nebo =

so the guru is out ... and i cant see the point of getting the torsen yet anyway becuase i physically dont make the power to get any use out of it ... BPt and it will be a differnet story ... but that is too far off down the track for me ... and i dont have $900 laying around ... so if would have to be a super discount group buy for me too be in ... even tho i can see the value as it is ... its just out of my price range

I THINK I AM N2!
Old 03-03-2005, 04:39 AM   #79
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB-80E
Oh yeah, the guru can be closely compared to the Quaife that's available in the US. I noticed that boostedbatman has it on his to do list. Maybe we can get him on board with the Guru as it will be alot cheaper.
Does any body know if the v6 is a G series or something else all together
*sobs onto hands at the reality of the cost of his spend list*
But yeah I would be interested I just need to know the details of my diff and then I will be at the top of the poll in the Torsen thread
I just dont want to mess things up or vote un-necessarily when I dont have all of the relevant info, I just dont want to mess things up for others (eg mx6.com)

Last edited by boostedbatman; 03-03-2005 at 04:56 AM.
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #80
Rupewrecht
Administrator

from what i've been able to gather, the V6 uses predominantly G series boxes...but there seems to be a few with F as well. i think only the bellhousing part of the casing is different, anyway.

check the code just near the front engine/gearbox mount

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com