Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Closed Thread

Old 13-04-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
EOI : Microtech GB and tune

well kiddies, some of you already know that a few people are interested in getting a microtech ecu and getting it tuned. so why not GB it? cheaper to buy the units and cheaper to install and tune as it should take less time to tune 5 cars (etc) than 1 car individually.

I dont have prices yet, but i am going to contact mazfix at springwood, kp performance at salisbury and dyson rotary at labrador. i'd like to be able to go to them in around 3-4 weeks with definate numbers. kiddies this WILL require atleast a $50-$100 initial deposit each before i go to them so i can show them we're serious, coz getting a quote for 8 people, having them order in the ecu's then only going through with 3 would really really suck for us and them.

i'm really really hoping we could get them installed and tuned for a decent amount under $1500. gav was quoted (over the phone) $2k, but i'm sure that was a top price and seeing them in person with cash to fork over and confirming a few cars will get the price well down.

so far those who are interested are myself, chicaboo, puppa snert and boostedbatperson. gav and I will be getting the LT-8s model (used for the 4's) and pete will be getting the LT-12s (used for the 6's). for info see www.microtechefi.com

so who's in?
Sponsored Links
Old 13-04-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
We need to talk to Archie again from Mazfix, he actually quoted me standard price of $1900 for manuals and $2100 for autos (tuned in 3d matrix mode). But now the auto is no more we'll be pressing them down on the $1900, so I think $1500 is pretty doable.
This is a very good mod peoples, my whole exhaust would've been close to $1400 by the time it was finished, so a technical item like this would be well worth it.
I don't know if people will all be able to do it in 3-4 weeks, we can ask them what spread of time the group buy can run over for the agreed price. They can't tune 8 cars all at once afterall. Ummm, I dunno if I'd have my cams done by then too, and I don't wanna pay another $300-400 every time I make a change on my car and need new tuning....
Old 13-04-2005, 09:15 PM   #3
coldie123

Car: .
I wish I could afford this right now... how much would it cost for the ecu alone in this GB? (no tuning since i'm in sydney).
Can't wait to see some dyno numbers!
Old 13-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #4
chicaboo

LT-8S costs $1050rrp.
Old 13-04-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
coldie123

Car: .
Would the ecu be much cheaper due to the group buy, or is the savings mainly on the tuning side? Cheers.
Old 13-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #6
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
what exactly needs to be setup... if you had a 1.8 a 2.0 and a 1.6 (talking BJ here) tuned up then couldn't you save the settings, and transfer them around?
Old 14-04-2005, 04:30 AM   #7
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
The new engine wont be complete for a while yet Andy as you are aware due to my job placement since leaving my old firm but I will definately be in on the purchase and get it tuned later so if other southerners want a cheaper purchase they should be able to also sort out a purchase price with the GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahb11m
what exactly needs to be setup... if you had a 1.8 a 2.0 and a 1.6 (talking BJ here) tuned up then couldn't you save the settings, and transfer them around?
I would say this is possible but as each car has different mods and behaves differently it is worth getting it tuned properly due to the amount of data required for the tune to be successful, you wont find the SAME setting on any car as the they may be close when your putting your complete tune in the hands of an EMS and spending around $1500 you want to be sure your engine is happy with what you are doing to it. Just because you may have the same engine as another for example you may need a different spark or have a different CAI/Exhaust etc all these thing will change the setting on the dyno so you are best spending a bit more on tuning and getting the Microtech configured to your setup
Old 14-04-2005, 05:54 AM   #8
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
yeah i knew that much, i was thinking adjust the ecu a lil bit, as it would be close enough to run i'd think...
Old 14-04-2005, 06:20 AM   #9
twilightprotege

dur, i just realised that i didnt say "we'll go to them in 3-4 weeks, then arrange everything for 8 weeks". woops.

savings will be on everything, purchase, install and tune
Old 14-04-2005, 11:59 AM   #10
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
I have a microtech in my BA... The microtech guys should have it pre-programmed before you get it. Then it should go in and be ready to go. But will not go prefectly until u put it on a dyno.

I live on the Sunshine Coast and had to go to Maxfix to go it dynoed. By the time we were half way down we had the thing pretty much turned. It was funny running down the Bruce Highway between speeds of 40kmph and 160kpmh. It took 35minutes on the dyno and we were finished.

What I'm trying to say is that the dyno time should be minimal for you guys as it should be pregrommed and someone will have had their car done before yours on the dynos. The mapping points will only need minor tweeking as Pete pointed out in the previous post.

All up it costed me $1300.00. Any more over $1500.00 would be a total rip off.

Ryan
Old 14-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #11
twilightprotege

yeah it's just a matter of going to them and waiving the cash in front of them and say gimme gimme gimme
Old 14-04-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
arden

Car: Suby
What kind of gains am i expected to achieve with the Microtech?
Is it worthwhile for me for the mods i got?Or should i also upgrade cams??
Old 14-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #13
project.r.racing

That is a very good question!!!

Depends on what sort of gains that ur looking for. The computer is the most exspensive mod for any car. Some people think that a new ECU is a waste of money for your car because the money can be spent elsewhere on cheaper mods. I have had words over this issue before with a fellow AGT member.

Anywayz, back to your question:- U have a larger diameter exhaust/extractor and ram intake system. Your car is now sucking/exhaling more air than standard and you have gained some kW's. Your car is still thinking that it is sucking the same amount of air because the ECU tells you it is.

Some things a programmable ECU can do for you:-

More BHP/kW's (depends on engine/mods/etc)
Better fuel comsumpion (I gained 50km per tank)
Smoother running (reaches redline quicker)

If you had a fully programable computer then you can change the settings and uterlise the extra air better than the standard computer does. This is only one example of what a ECU can do.

I hope I didn't go too rocket-sciencetist on you. I tried to explain it as best I could.

Ryan

P.S. Yeah, do the cams also if you got the cash.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 14-04-2005 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Shit happens
Old 14-04-2005, 05:27 PM   #14
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microtech website
X4 and X6 Ignition Module Boxes NEW Product$150.00 AUD

The X4 and X6 Ignition Module Boxes are used in direct fire applications. The X4 has 4 channel output (4 cyl outputs) and X6 has 6 outputs. These are used in conjunction with LT8S LT10S and LT12S ECU's . We have chosen to now run external boxes rather than internal igniters as we once did , enabling us to run more advanced hardware on the boards to cope with our new IGBT Ignition boost function which is available on LT10S and LT12S ECU's as a standard feature.

For my next question would this be worth looking into also for a smidgen more as an option and would the gains be worth it as an addition. I am not so knowledgable in this area so I will leave it up to someone else to figure it out
Old 14-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #15
project.r.racing

Just like Coil Packs:-

Smoother idle
Bigger spark
Smoother accel

Ryan
Old 14-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #16
twilightprotege

arden - atleast, and this is an absolute least, 15whp at the wheels. i expect to get somewhere above 20-25whp. i might even get 30whp increase.

it is commonly reckognised as the single best power mod per dollar of any mod for an NA car.

but also, since gav will be wanting an exhaust cam very very soon, maybe we should think of a GB for them too? the program i use (dyno2003) to check cam specs say the stock intake cam is pretty close to right (a tiny bit small) for max area under the power curve from 3500rpm-7000rpm, but the exhaust cam is very weak.

bat - i guess what means we need to get them since the new models dont have internal igniters?
Old 14-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #17
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Yeah and you know what kind of cams I will be getting so I need all the help I can get
Old 14-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #18
chicaboo

Andrew, can I buy your old exhaust cam and have it reground? I wouldn't mind doing that if it's ok with you, this way I will still have a clean set of 1.8 cams if I ever boost and need to remove the lumpy cams...
Old 15-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #19
Tublade
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2005 Subaru Liberty GT
Are you guys still doing that GB? If so i'll be interested in getting the Microtech too.

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbgar...do=view&id=577
Old 15-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #20
twilightprotege

absolutely!
Closed Thread