Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Classifieds > For Sale/Wanted

Old 27-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
EOI: [QLD] BJ 1.8 Lightened stock flywheel

Hello pennyeggs,

Due to a dud flywheel in the car and an MX5 lightweight Fidanza flywheel that I am trying to make fit, I am going to buy a new factory flywheel and have it lightened. I need to buy the flywheel anyway so the MX5 flywheel boss can be matched to suit while my car is ON the road. If it cannot be matched I will have this flywheel up for sale, or the other one for an MX5 forum depending on the outcome...

Confused? don't be, I just want to know if there is anybody interested in a lightened stock flywheel to suit the BJ 1.8 323. Lots of the BJ guys have dud flywheels but don't know it. Mine has become very obvious since a good clutch was added... I don't need to lighten the flywheel, but I need to be able to sell it potentially or put it in the car, so lightening it makes it more attractive than what you've already got! Lightening will be done by NPC Performance's highest standards of craftsmanship.

I can't tell you how light the flywheel will be as yet, but chances are it may come down from 22 to 15lbs for example. So something in the region of 25~30% lighter is not out of the question. If anyone is interested, the Fidanza flywheel is 8lbs in cardboard packaging! Anyhow, I have discovered there is no simple way to put a lightweight flywheel in the BJ 1.8, so you need to lighten your dud stocko while the car is OFF the road, or muck around like I am and experiment out of despiration...

Anyhow, I am not sure of a price as yet, but chances are it will be around the same as retail on a factory flywheel, which is about $250~300. This is just a guess as I don't have the flywheel or the word back on lightening it yet. Anyhow, let me know if you are interested in a lightweight for your BJ. I am happy to discuss the pros and cons of lightening flywheels if you wish, as it's important to your decision.

Cheers,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
I'm interested in lightweight flywheel/heavy duty clutch. Was thinking of Fidanza/Exedy. Why won't it fit?
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
BP/B6 flywheels do not fit FP cranks, thats why.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
chicaboo

What he said. ^^^

The ring gear between all these engines is perfect (maybe even the offset), however the crank bolt hole/pcd is different, and the FP has an extra hole for a dowel pin to line things up. My best bet is there is too much outer face (where clutch disc engages) on the B6/BP flywheel as compared to the FP. If the face of the flywheel can be machined down further and the holes made larger/corrected, I can still use the Fidanza B6/BP flywheel. And by then it would be V E R Y lightweight...

Gav.
Old 30-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Well, this is dissappointing! I take it this is the flywheel advertised in B3M?

So you reckon there is no LWFW available for BJ 1.8? I haven't researched much about the drivetrain yet, still busy with engine management, cams and turbo stuff. Yet to figure out if F25M-R strong enough or go G15M-R. It would need to handle at least 8psi and 7,000rpm.
Old 30-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
chicaboo

You're dissappointed? The flywheel I did purchase through B3M, but the supplier - Rocket Industries, will not refund the flywheel due to it being a special order. Unfortunately everything from Rocket is a special order. Frontbums...

So you are correct, there is not one single LWFW for the FP-DE 1.8. However I am yet to determine if the B6/BP flywheel can be adapted. Fingers crossed that my investment into uncharted territory pays off, otherwise I sell the Fidanza at a loss to a MX5 1.6 fanboy...

Just to give you some hope, this is how well the Fidanza mates up to the FP-DE clutch housing, friggin' PERFECT!

EDIT: With regard to turboing, if you want to go NA you can actually run the SP20/FS-ZE cams with or without a regrind, or get B3M custom cams to save on test-fitting and waiting for shims etc... I have the FS-ZE cams with a 489C regrind on the exhaust cam for more overlap and duration, I think this is the same or similar to the setup on the B3M cams.

Since you have a 1.8, you can get valve springs and go to 8000rpm. I've been to 7500rpm a couple of times with stock cams Microtech'd, but not with the aggressive cams. With the agressive cams I make the same top end at 6500rpm (NO Microtech) that I did at 7500rpm with stock cams AND Microtech! So, with Microtech and another 1500rpm, I am conceiving an increase of 15-20kW ATW. I currently have around 85kW ATW with stock intake, however I have been up around 90kW ATW before...

Just saying you don't need to get hung up on turbo power. However Anton had a 125kW ATW turboed FP-DE J48, and his F25M-R lasted him out. But I think he was more into cruising, so his gearbox would've been near it's limit I suspect. I would like to supercharge, but the cost of changing over to G15M gearbox/flywheel/clutch/driveshafts/hubs/brakes is very parasitic!

Old 01-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Thanks for the info. Twiggy spec cams have been paid for and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival!
How did Anton go with his smoking problem? He seems to have dissapeared. Made me wonder what order things need to be replaced(pistons, rods, tranny etc). Hoping to make do with just the clutch/flywheel for as long as possible.

8000rpm with only valve springs? Bearings, rod bolts etc ok?