Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 30-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Denisijus

Car: Mazda Astina
Engine replacement!

Hello readers,riders,writers etc,
I was on that form for quite a while but just recently signed up for it. I bought my second mazda astina 2003 hatch 1.8 (less than a month ago). The private seller, did't mention any problems. After a week i took it to a mechanic and he told me i have a cylinder problem. He suggested to replace the whole engine with a 2nd hand engine. The car is producing smoke after long breaks. In the morning i have a massive cloud of smoke, until its warm a little. Moreover, it eats heaps of oil. Anyhow, i decided to replace the engine. 1) There is a deal on ebay to get engine for $250 and install it for $450. The engine has done just 52k 3 month warranty. 2) I checked in Wollongong where i live, every where the job cost at least $1000 + engine i can get on ebay from a different dealer for $550 85K a year warranty. The first option sounds to sweet and i afraid to get into more troubles, and the wreckers/garage is 1 hour drive Fairfield,NSW . You are as someone knowledgeable in this field what would suggest? What do i need to look for when checking and engine, what questions to ask? Perhaps some decent place to replace it or to buy good engine.

I appreciate every response. Thanks a lot.
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
Denisijus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 31-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Samsara

Car: 2003 BJ-II 323 Astina Hatch
Are you looking to get a bit more bang for your buck? Look into an FS-ZE conversion. A few people have that on the forums with great results
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
While the owner should have been honest, its not really his obligation to be. He wants the best price he can, being open and honest does not get him this.

As Sam has indicated, if your after more pep the FS-ZE is a good swap. It has benefits in that they generally have much lower kilometres then an australian bought engine would have. Otherwise a straight swap in of a FP or FS will work as well.

Does the new engine come with new coil packs? You might want to look at coils, engine mounts. Service history on ebay engine? Has it had water pump replaced, timing belt etc etc.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
did the car come with a road worthy?? take it back.. if the car is blowing smoke its not going to be emissions compliant which is a road worthy issue..

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
smurfy

Car: sp20
$250 is pretty cheap for an engine with such low km's..
i wouldnt be to worried about finding somewhere to get it installed as there is a massive members baise in wollongong and im pretty sure the guys wouldnt mind doing it, would have it done in a day.. have done a few engine swaps lately.. i suggest inboxing haighie as he has quite a few sources in wollongong.

also suggest sending this ebayer a message. bought a few parts from him in the past... he has muliple mazda 323 sitting in his frontyard for wrecking and is in wollongong too..
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/knjaz007?...p2047675.l2559

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
smurfy

Car: sp20
guessing this is it?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Engine-Cl...#ht_1595wt_905

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Sounds like Valve stem seals.

Being a private seller. Roadworthy or not IN NSW you don't really have much to stand on. Unless it's like been defecated and not cleared your then obligate to tell the new owner or buyers when advertised.

This is tough because changing a motor is cheap these days in comparison to anything else. doing a Head is overall better but more expensive.
At the moment due to the change in the ways cars are built serviced and length kept many wreaking places are removing a lot of old stock and not keeping anything over ten year old
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Denisijus

Hey fellas,
I bought the engine and got a quote to install it for $1000 in Wollongong, I asked to do the water pump and timing on the way... better to invest a little now than more later.
I can't go to fairfield and leave the car there. Overall the car costs me much more than i thought to spend... anyhow, the lesson being learnt.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Engine-Cl...#ht_1595wt_905

this the engine that i bought, you were right SMURFY.

Im just wandering if its better to buy a timing belt and the water pump on ebay, than from the mechanic... When i told him ill buy it, he told me you can be wrong it should be specific for the engine. So i thought better he would do it, however, maybe you guys can link me exactly to what i need, then ill be prepared.

Super helpful forum, thank you all. I wish i had the knowledge to contribute. Perhaps you need some tips in photography or health let me know. Adios.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
PM TheMAN, he can get stuff cheaper from the states then we can.

Gates Kit should be TCK228.

Otherwise get a GMB pump or something quality.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
TheMAN

Car: .
GMB is chinese made crap
for a little more money, a NPW (Nissan Water Pump) is much better quality and japanese made
Old 12-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Denisijus

Thanks.
Old 22-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Denisijus

Hey Fellas,
Just would like to update you with what eventually happened with my commuter tool.
I swap the engine with the cheap one that i bought on ebay, we talked about it in here earlier. The engine was from ford, the WRECKERS didnt mention it... it involved a little bit more work-time to fit it in. Also, the wreckers forgot the delivery day and it was delayed for a week... Anyhow, i got the car eventually with a new timing belt, plugs and all the necessary liquids changed... it cost me $1700 overall (engine included). Then, the mechanic seen that my tires nearly bold on the inside, so i bought 2 new tyres... another $210... Today i paid the rego $1000. Evaluation: Do not to buy alone especially if you have 0.5 knowledge about cars. Lesson has been learnt.
Old 22-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
Wow that's a lot man. I could have helped you out for a lot less, but it's done now and I guess you just got to move forward, where abouts in Wollongong are you located?? I'm from Wollongong and there are a few other member from hear also so if you ever want to meet up just hit me up we can organise a mini-meet if you'd like

I guess the bright side is the cars back on the road now. And all you have to do is enjoy it and get your money's worth from it

Good to see a mother member in the gong, if you ever have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer or guide you In the right direction.

Who installed the motor by the way?? See if its someone I know?

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Denisijus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIGHIE View Post
Wow that's a lot man. I could have helped you out for a lot less, but it's done now and I guess you just got to move forward, where abouts in Wollongong are you located?? I'm from Wollongong and there are a few other member from hear also so if you ever want to meet up just hit me up we can organise a mini-meet if you'd like

I guess the bright side is the cars back on the road now. And all you have to do is enjoy it and get your money's worth from it

Good to see a mother member in the gong, if you ever have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer or guide you In the right direction.

Who installed the motor by the way?? See if its someone I know?
Hey HAIGHIE,

Yeah its a lot bud, however, im finally happy with the car. Yeah it could be nice to catch up with you, perhaps near the lighthouse sometime... My motor was installed by Kev's Automotive, its just across the cemetery in the industrial area of the Gong. He seemed quite knowledgeable and honest. I live on corner of church and stewart st... you will probably see a red mazda parked outside in front of the garage. Good to hear from someone from the area. im planing on installing a new audio system, perhaps you can guide me for a good one and not expensive...

Adios.