Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Gp.

Car: Red Mazda 323 Astina 1991
323 BG Astina - Brake Pads - Are they okay?

Hi all,
I've purchased a new set of brake pads online but I'm not sure they are correct.

As you can see by the image, the new pad seems larger. I can still fit it in the calliper, although with both pads assembled in the calliper, by literally 1mm I cant push the caliper back to the hole where it bolts back on. It does fit onto the rotor though, it's just that the pads seem a bit thick so I cant push the caliper back enough to line it up with the mounting holes. If that makes sense?

If I loosen the nuts shown with arrows I get more room to line the caliper up with the mounting holes and bolt it. I've heard cheapo brake pads can sometimes be slightly too thick. Is this true or are these simply the wrong brake pads?

I guess my main question is really, can you have things such as brake pads look very similar although not quite, and still be fine?

P.S yes I am 100% certain the piston is as far back as it can go. I've even removed the calliper to be sure theres no pressure preventing it from moving back any further.

Gp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Sam_323

Car: 1991 BG Astina w/GTX engine & 1990 Astina SP w/GTX Engine & 1992 Familia GT-R
Send a message via MSN to Sam_323 Send a message via Skype™ to Sam_323
that caliper looks like it is from a bf, not a bg. dont the bg have 22v on it?
Sam_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
wrong pads.

Yes you can have pads look similar.

you can have them like in your case they look too tall. If you fitted them they would hit the centre of the hub before they would fit right.

usually not so many variations in Jap cars or US or Aus but Euro too many to think of where just minor bits are different. normally to do with engine and disc size.

Not much in yours but still don't look right. When I worked cars - we had the book that matched to correct picture size. Never went wrong. But you could get delivered like yours and then match to book and Loose it - Get angry Call the parts guy call him a Tool and wait.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
what pad were you chasing? 1158 or 1177?
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote