Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 08-05-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
shaggy 1800

HOW TO: Fitting a pod filter to a BG

Hey guys i knows it's probly been answerd before but ive had a look and carn't find it.

Im goin to fit a pod filter to my BG astina. The problem is space. It won't fit if i just take out the air box. There is a black box about 5cm after the AFM and there is a tube running off the bottom of it. Would it be ok to take this box out so i can move my AFM back so i can fit my pod in?? what would i have to do with the tube?? breather filter??? cable tie it some where so it can get some air with no filter???

any help cheers
Old 08-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
I have a pod in my BG Astina.

That black box is a resonence chamber. it is good for 4nm of torque (dyno proven on an MX5) but you dont need it so you can take it out if you wish.

Also remember to run a cold air tube (using 100mm ag pipe or similar) from the front of your car to your pod, otherwise you will reduce performance instead of helping it For this you have two options, running it over the top, starting at your pod, feeding back towards the engine then down in front of the gearbox, underneath the radiator and out the front, so whats option two you ask??? see that big well underneath your standard air box. what you can do is take your front bar off and cut a big hole in the front of your well and run a tube from there up to your pod a heat shield from the engine could also come in handy

i will try to find pics of my set up

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
shaggy 1800

SHot Nate
I quite like option two. I havent pulled the airbox out yet because of the last time i did it thats when i screwed my AFM.
What option did you take??? And what did you do with that lil tube that was on the bottom??
Photos would be great you guys are f**kn amazing
Old 08-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
MeFo
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina GT
Hopefully this may be of some help to you. It's a fitting guide for the K&N 57i induction kit for BG's.
MeFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
-BraXta-
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Honda Accord Euro
Send a message via ICQ to -BraXta- Send a message via MSN to -BraXta-
just a thing tho..

aint pods illegal ???

like you can get defected and all dat..

i heard that if you have a pod in the engine bay you get defected but if it aint in the engine bay... then your fine and wont get a Defect...

I just wanna know what ppl think and know cause i wanna get a pod cause they are better but i dont wanna get defected ....

=P not made of money =P

My New Ride =P

-I turn Dreams into reality with a F#$% you mentality...
-BraXta- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:58 AM   #6
shaggy 1800

You guys got some pretty tight laws it's just not cars but also you gun laws.
I know for sure that they are legal over here maybe you guys should coome over here :-p youll have none of you lil legal problems and its a better country LOL
taking to piss sorry
Old 09-05-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
option one

but that means this ...

cut out around the right side box for an air duct in option too ... pipe gos thru the hole and up to the filter

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
mcwilly

Car: 323 astina
i didnt bother about a pod i just cut the whole bottom out of the box. i still have to make a cold air intake and get a k&n panel filter. but breaths alot better already
Old 09-05-2005, 03:44 PM   #9
shaggy 1800

But how does you pannel filter sit in there?? my mods have to be undoable becuase i'm going to be selling this car on about 6-12 months. Nate i now quite like the idea of number one LOL i had a look last night and saw the stuff that your ment to cut and thought that wasn't it, it would be to hard to cut. Oh well option one looks very attractive now. LOL no-one have any ideas about the tube??
Old 09-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #10
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
Why you doing it if you are gunna sell the car in a few months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy 1800
its a better country LOL
Yeah that is funny, as if.

And what is wrong with our guns laws,
Who needs a gun really?
FYI heard about the new law in Miami (I think or one of the wack job states)
You can legally shot dead an unarmed person who you felt was threatening you while in public.

So I can wonder onto the the middle of street with my pistol in my back pocket, starts yelling insults at all passed by and if a group of them comes up to me and acts threatening, YYYYYEEEEEHHHHAAA OPEN FIRE perfectly legal, Gotta love the yanks.

Basically the same as the old law, but you longer have to be at home.

Anyway onto topic welcome to AGT,

Thought about trying a pipe striaght into the airbox? Ie normal panel filter?
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
shaggy 1800

Because i must! what a silly question LOL. It has been my dream. (sad i know) and it's my first car. Yeah thought bout that ,and i know a budget pod doesn't do any thing for proformance. But the intake note is realy quite adictave.

Whats wrong with your gun laws??? I wont get started but before you guys got all tight assed with your laws you had very competive shooters in a style of shooting called IPSC. But now your allowed nothing over .38 in calbire (correct me if im wrong) your open division guys are being laughed at. Sorry to every body who doesn't understand.

I need guns LOL other wise i'd lose a job
Old 29-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
EVOlution

G'day, I have just purchased a 92 model BG Astina, it's twin cam and I guess it would be a 1.8L then?
Anyway, I fitted a pod filter, I tried removeing that air resonator box after the AFM but the car wouldn't idle with out giving it a prod on the accelerator to keep it going, I tried blocking the hose up and it was worse - no idle at all.
So, I was wondering, could I run this hose that goes to what might be the IAC straight into the intake pipe without the resonator box. I'm guessing it should work but then why did they go to the trouble of putting the resonator box in.....
Any help would be great and if anyone knows where I can get my hands on service manuals and technical info for the engine in sydney metro I would appreciate it.
EVOlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
Yes you can do that, it would involve making a new pipe though, because there is no where to attach the ISC pipe into the main induction pipe.

I'm pretty sure the only reason for the resonator box would be noise.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
89sp1.8

Car: bg astina
Send a message via MSN to 89sp1.8
if u want u can keep the res box in though,its just a nice tight fit. they tip of my pod sits just under/in the side panel.which im thinking is a good thing because its furthur away from the engine and closer to air flow...
89sp1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:41 AM   #15
shaggy 1800

"That black box is a resonence chamber. it is good for 4nm of torque (dyno proven on an MX5)"

I left mine on. the pod sits just under the side car pannel just like 89sp1.8's
i could take a photo but i think you've got the idea
Old 12-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #16
323kid

Car: nothing atm
ok this is my setup

note: only do it this way if you want to keep your popups up 24/7, mine are broken, so they stay up.

This is it my setup...

It runs under the headlight..

And pops out here...

MMmMmmM Cold air!!!!!!!!

enjoy!
Old 22-02-2006, 06:12 AM   #17
geetee

Car: A Mazda 323F BJ Sport.
Send a message via MSN to geetee
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOlution
G'day, I have just purchased a 92 model BG Astina, it's twin cam and I guess it would be a 1.8L then?
Anyway, I fitted a pod filter, I tried removeing that air resonator box after the AFM but the car wouldn't idle with out giving it a prod on the accelerator to keep it going, I tried blocking the hose up and it was worse - no idle at all.
So, I was wondering, could I run this hose that goes to what might be the IAC straight into the intake pipe without the resonator box. I'm guessing it should work but then why did they go to the trouble of putting the resonator box in.....
i would say this is some kind of air by-pass system, so the engine can idle when the throttle butterfly is closed.
disconnecting it will basically mean you are introducing a leak to the intake air pipe, and the by-pass air will not be controlled by the AFM. plus if you block the pipe off, then there will be no air at idle at all. hence, no idle.
the AFM also has small ducts on either side of the flap. probably for idle air.
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #18
MAztinA 323

Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DET
Send a message via MSN to MAztinA 323
hey im in the market for a pod filter, but was wondering on which one (prob K&N) and i dont want 2 spend over say $120
theres the 57i kit with cai p/n 57-0117 (i can get for about $120 AUD), which would be handy cause of all the parts with it
and theres also a universal one p/n RX-3900-1 and that one goes on the pipes to the afm backwards! so the big end sucks in the air and pushes it through. i can get that for $100, and would make my own cai/heatshield

any thoughts or suggestions? have many ppl tried both?

thanx dan

one other thing, has anyone tried 2 100mm pipes going to a pod? or 3 for that matter? imagine how much more air you'd get! an interesting idea i mite try when i decide on a filter.. :P

thanks again!
MAztinA 323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #19
asanga

Car: astina BA 1997 1.8Ltr
Does any one know if there is a significant improvement when driving with a pod filter installed ? Any changes to the fuel consumption? Is it bit noisy having a pod filter ?

asanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #20
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
yeah theres stacks of difference...you can hear it sucking in the air as well...improves fuel consumption as well i recommend it but also on the other end a bigger exhaust (than stock) is also needed so the air can flow through more freely (well not needed, put to also improve)
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote