Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 05-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #21
asanga

Car: astina BA 1997 1.8Ltr
did you use the K&N 57i kit ?

asanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #22
MAztinA 323

Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DET
Send a message via MSN to MAztinA 323
yea pod makes ur engine sound mad! when i put my foot right down hard it sounded like a flat four in a wrx :P

and fuel consumption instantly went up. i used to just manage 450-500km per tank, as soon as i put it on i was getting 500-550 (driving liberally)

well worth it if ur not worried about defects! but a lot of ppl seem to do it
Old 28-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #23
mws78

Car: subaru
i built a fully enclosed box for my pod, so all legal. and it works a treat.
mws78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #24
cazza

Car: 91 Astina 323 1.8L
Induction and Pod tubing

Hey guys

just a few questions. got a k&n pod filter and was installing it and stumbled across a very dirty induction tube that runs from the air box to the injection area. is there meant to be a thin film of crease on the inside of the black piping.
Also im running my pod down to the front end with some piping either steel or something stronger or more flexible. so need some do's and dont's .
thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #25
FlamenIce

Car: 323 Astina BG 94
I just fitted my pod filter, works great! and fits right in so it doesnt move ither... might zip tie it down for extra security but other than that its perfect... i will try to do the piping too but i want to get a front bar first so i can feed it to an open duct or something...
FlamenIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #26
Lawsy

Car: 323 Astina 92 (BP 1.8sohc)
I've had mine in for ages; but I haven't enclosed it yet (I know, I know...)...

I need to get a pressure cleaner and clean out that hollow area under the filter, get an 80° pipe and put the filter in there, then close off the top (I have a 100mm duct at the front )...

Anyone know a good place to get aluminium sheets from?
Lawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #27
Clarky_BA

Car: 323 BA Hardtop
aluminium sheets, save yourself some money. When there is a curb side pickup (you know when people put rubbish out) Get a washing machine or dishwasher or even a microwave and use the metal surround. Dirt cheap...
Old 14-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #28
ranoverbyamazada

Car: 84/ford courier/91 astina sp
hey guy iam working on a mod for air flow.
1 take out black box
2 attach pod air filter
3 you need a 95 ef ford it has a cold air intake which sucks air from underneath bonnet screw it on to wear the bonnet latch is
4 then at the end where air pod is cable tie pod to that
5 nice and neat no mess works for me
ranoverbyamazada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #29
matty88

Car: 1991 TX3 KF
How do you secure the air flow meter to the body? Can someone please draw up/give me measurements on how to secure it?
matty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #30
downet

Car: 1995 323 astina
hey i have a mazda 323 astina 1995,

is it easy to install a pod filter to my car
downet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #31
shaikaka

Car: Mazda Astina 323 sp
my stock bg air filter has an intake tube connected to the air filter that goes under the wheel arch for (im guessing) cold air intake and one to a chamber above the radiator that seems sealed in. Any idea what that one is for? and sould i cut holes in it to increase airflow??
Old 23-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #32
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
I'm amazed that thing's still intact. On maybe every BG I've ever seen it's either been removed or was broken. It was borked when I got the SOHC, and on the DOHC it had been taken off in favour of a CAI on the front left.
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #33
RibZe

Car: BG Astina
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikaka View Post
my stock bg air filter has an intake tube connected to the air filter that goes under the wheel arch for (im guessing) cold air intake and one to a chamber above the radiator that seems sealed in. Any idea what that one is for? and sould i cut holes in it to increase airflow??
My mate removed that from my car today. He said that it's a baffle (?), which removes/quietens induction noise. I've noticed a difference when i take off but i only drop it for 5 minutes.
RibZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #34
RibZe

Car: BG Astina
Did anyone on here use the K&N 57i kit?

If not the how much was your pod, pod adapter and any other CAI costs?
RibZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #35
Kevaclone

Car: Landcruiser
I fitted a Pod to the BG SP today. Cheap. Neat and tidy. No cutting involved and looks better than the pod jammed onto the end of the AFM

Took out the original air box and the cold air intake tubing(from behind the inner guard), and there is a huge hole there. I had a 90deg bend bit of 3inch exhaust pipe(Unused intake tube from my Land Cruiser turbo install, painted in hammertone grey)

You can buy alloy 90deg bends in 3 inch from Autobarn, also a piece of rubber tube to fit over it and the AFM adaptor

I fitted the 90deg tubing to the pod, dropped it into the space and then fitted the rubber tubing over the the 90deg and the adapter on the AFM and clamped it all up tight
I then cut the original cold air tubing right at the bottom of the "U" bend and re fitted it. It stops the pod moving about also

Then just made up a cover for the hole where the pod is fitted out of a piece of 5mm rubber sheeting. Cut to fit the shape of the top of the hole then some cutouts for the 90deg and the cold air tubing.
Made a couple of small holes in line with the original air box mountings and bolted it down
Then just cable tied the AFM to the airbox mounting stud to hold it from moving.

It should get plenty of cold air from around the headlights and through the original cold air intake and avoid getting much, if any, hot air from the engine. Looks neat and I didn't have to cut any holes in the body work.

Might redo the rubber cover in black plastic sheet to give a more factory look and seal it off better from the engine bay and direct more air from behind the headlights down into the space

The induction sound being low freqs it can still be heard quite well even covered up
  • 2003 BA Falcon XLS Ute
  • 1995 323 BA Astina
  • 1991 323 Astina SP-Wrecking Now. PM for info

Last edited by Kevaclone; 08-09-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #36
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
the baffle i am told is for cold weather starts or something, the air is heated from the radiator or some such

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #37
so fresh

Car: 92 astina 323 bg & 01 SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevaclone View Post
I fitted a Pod to the BG SP today. Cheap. Neat and tidy. No cutting involved and looks better than the pod jammed onto the end of the AFM

Took out the original air box and the cold air intake tubing(from behind the inner guard), and there is a huge hole there. I had a 90deg bend bit of 3inch exhaust pipe(Unused intake tube from my Land Cruiser turbo install, painted in hammertone grey)

You can buy alloy 90deg bends in 3 inch from Autobarn, also a piece of rubber tube to fit over it and the AFM adaptor

I fitted the 90deg tubing to the pod, dropped it into the space and then fitted the rubber tubing over the the 90deg and the adapter on the AFM and clamped it all up tight
I then cut the original cold air tubing right at the bottom of the "U" bend and re fitted it. It stops the pod moving about also

Then just made up a cover for the hole where the pod is fitted out of a piece of 5mm rubber sheeting. Cut to fit the shape of the top of the hole then some cutouts for the 90deg and the cold air tubing.
Made a couple of small holes in line with the original air box mountings and bolted it down
Then just cable tied the AFM to the airbox mounting stud to hold it from moving.

It should get plenty of cold air from around the headlights and through the original cold air intake and avoid getting much, if any, hot air from the engine. Looks neat and I didn't have to cut any holes in the body work.

Might redo the rubber cover in black plastic sheet to give a more factory look and seal it off better from the engine bay and direct more air from behind the headlights down into the space

The induction sound being low freqs it can still be heard quite well even covered up
i would'nt mind seeing some pics of it mate,seems like something that i would'nt mind doing myself
Old 10-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #38
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoru View Post
the baffle i am told is for cold weather starts or something, the air is heated from the radiator or some such
That would be the one still fitted above the radiator but not connected to anything
  • 2003 BA Falcon XLS Ute
  • 1995 323 BA Astina
Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #39
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by so fresh View Post
i would'nt mind seeing some pics of it mate,seems like something that i would'nt mind doing myself
Yeah I can grab a few pics on the weekend if I get time
  • 2003 BA Falcon XLS Ute
  • 1995 323 BA Astina
Old 18-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #40
Astinadroxycuts

Car: 93 323 Astina - Toyota Celica GT4
How much kw do you gain from a pod?
Astinadroxycuts is offline   Reply With Quote