Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 11-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
LeonJames

Car: Dodge
Mazda becoming a luxury brand?

In case you guys didn't know Mazda had plans in the early 90s to develop a luxury brand called "Amati" to compete with Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti.

There's not much info online about it but apparently it was scrapped. There was a full size luxury sedan called the 929 which was RWD and had a V8 that was going to be rebranded as this Amati brand.
Omegle Appvalley

Anyways, I was reading today about how mazda is pushing a new generation RWD platform with V6 by 2025.

Is this the reboot of the "Amati" brand or is this just the new direction mazda is heading in? I do know that the last couple years they have made higher quality-near luxury cars against their competitors but it was never really established as luxury.

Last edited by LeonJames; 12-05-2019 at 02:11 AM.
LeonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I was reading somewhere yesterday that the concept luxury vehicle was an inline 6 not a V6.
Mazda had their other brands in the 90's called efini and Autozam.
Old 29-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #3
seoking

Car: 2014, BMW 340c
I do agree that feature and interior-quality wise, they give entry-luxury competition a run for their money, but I don't think we'll see them launch a luxury brand any time soon. At the crossroads between "commuter" and "luxury". 9Apps Vidmate

They're simply not moving enough volume in individual commuter/sport/luxury segments for it to make financial sense for them right now.

They also don't move volume in other segments like trucks or buses (like other Japanese/international automakers with sub-brands), so placing their resources towards improving the Mazda brand makes more sense. https://get-cartoonhd.com

I could be entirely wrong, but that's just my logical conclusion.

Last edited by seoking; 01-06-2019 at 12:38 PM.
seoking is offline   Reply With Quote