Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 16-04-2004, 09:10 AM   #1
UZK90

End of the Road for my astina...

Hi people, I really havn't posted for a long time here but I'm just letting you guys know I think my 1990 astina SP is really the grandfather here, after checking last night it clocked a whopping 252,000km. Not bad for a 1990 model eh?

Anyway, since there were problems with my astina regarding the engine mounts and CV, timing belt also needed a change. Well.. my mechanic quoted me $1050 for the whole job and I thought it wouldn't be worthwhile to fix it and continue driving... :cry:

So.. it could be the end of the road for my astina when I trade her for something newer. I've got a $12000 budget (including trade-in) and since my car's got too many problems and high km's it's just impossible to sell it privately.

Can anyone suggest a good sporty car I can get for this price? I'm looking at a Honda Integra Gsi(94-95), Prelude Si(93-95),Hyundai Coupe FX 96-?? Pulsar SSS (year??), or a biased BA/BJ astina.
Should I even consider boring cars like the corolla or lancers.....?

I'm heavily leaning towards the integra, or otherwise you guys can suggest another car... I need a car that's got a good sized boot.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really confused to what I should do, and thanks for reading...
UZK90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 16-04-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
a friend picked up a twin turbo soarer for 13k last year. u might find 1 in ur price range.

Quote:
Should I even consider boring cars like the corolla or lancers.....?
i wouldnt bother getting a car that isnt what u really want.
Old 16-04-2004, 09:45 AM   #3
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
buy another bg

would be able to get a nice familia for that price too

dunno where u r from but theres a seriously nice white BA hardtop forsale in melbourne within your budget

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2004, 10:03 AM   #4
UZK90

I live in Sydney.

And I'd also like to mention that I'd like to get something thats not an import due to reasons like insurance, and parts availability.

But then again I wouldn't mind R32 or a R33 :P
Old 16-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewto...hlight=hardtop

that there is the one. ive been trying to rope my mum into buying it....serioulsy clean example

cheers mike
Old 16-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
Quote:
But then again I wouldn't mind R32 or a R33
mmmmmmmmm yummy

Quote:
Honda Integra Gsi(94-95), Prelude Si(93-95),
nice cars ... they have style and the mumbo to match but parts can be a little pricey

Quote:
Hyundai Coupe FX 96-??
nothing wrong with the car but they are very bad for resale values = cheaper car now but low trade in when you sell it

Quote:
Pulsar SSS
Never had any experiences with em but imagine they are pretty reliable ... finding one that hasnt been killed could be a challenge

anyway back to the SP ... would you conisder breaking her up for parts if you cant get a decent trade in for it??? I know somone wanted a set of stocko wheels and i would love a set of tail lights and JJ wants a sunroof ... just a thought anyway

Nate :mrgreen:

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2004, 11:58 PM   #7
UZK90

Nice offering Nate, I don't think anyone will be interested in a sunroof that's got rust spots, or stock wheelies with major kurb damage, or a set of tail lights that's had it with some garbage bin. :?

Yeah, I don't even want the hassle of even selling it privately...

I was thinking about fixing up the car and re-using it, but the doors, seats, and other things are deteriorating. :cry:

Also, I'm also considering an MX-6 1994-? (am I brand loyal? :wink: )
Old 17-04-2004, 12:32 AM   #8
pr1mo

UK. what color is it?

it could be worthwhile wrecking the car. i know someone in melb after a white bonet and metal panel infront of that. im sure lots of bodywork on it will be fine with a lick of paint. could be an option

cheers mike
Old 17-04-2004, 01:16 AM   #9
UZK90

mike, my BG's gunmetal grey.

BTW, how much do you think they'll trade-in my car for?
Old 17-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #10
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
go the mx6
or a protege... they both have reasonable boots

the pulsar SSS isn't bad, nice outta the box, but around the 17k mark...

but, it all depends on what you really, want... i'm guessing your not fussed about the amount of doors?(ie 2 door, 3 door etc..)
Old 18-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #11
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
OK, I gotta say it, you can buy my BA for that money and still break up your old one for parts, or try to sell it privately to a new p plater or something.

Check out my readers ride, although I don't know if it's up to date... but I have got headers and wheels coming too..... so you will have 2 sets of wheels, stock and BIG!

I am going a new or close to new MX5... gimme that convertible!!!

We will be back in sydney on the Anzac Day long weekend if you are interested in meeting up and having a look, we are in Canberra atm!
And you are more than welcome to come for a cruise down here to the ACT if you are up for it.

Anyway, keep it in mind. There are plenty of people on the forums that have seen my car, and there are pics of it on the various cruises too.

Good luck and may the zoom zoom be with you!
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2004, 08:16 PM   #12
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
Quote:
break up your old one for parts
ooooh ooooh pick me for the tail lights!!!

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote