Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
bobkuti

Car: 323f BA
smoking engine 323f BA

how do i figure out what engine oil to apply for my car engine which is a mazda 323f BA,cos i changed the engine oil type during my last engine servicing,but it smokes wen i start it in the morning for just a short while of about 20 to 50 meters,have only experienced dis 3 times in a week since i serviced the engine,some say i shuld use a synthetic oil,help plz,asap
bobkuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
mineral or synthetic wont make much off a difference. you valve stem seals are worn by the sounds of it. and you haven't told us what oil and grade you are currently using, but if it didn't do it before, and now it does with new oil, then the new oil must be thinner?
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
bobkuti

initially after the purchase of my Mazda 323f BA (Z-5),i serviced the car 4 the first time with AP(AFRICAN PETROLEUM) SAE 20w-50 sl/cf-4,and i never experienced any cold start smoking,the car was perfect,and wen i decided to service the car in due time,i changed the oil to SAE 20w-50 sg/cd from dsame manufacturer, days later i experienced cold start smoking 4 the first time,and then another cold start smoking 3 days later which was yesterday,so i started my research yesterday with the aim of knowing the best oil 4 different kinds of engine which was how i got here wit u,lucky me.i spent the whole of last nite studying my car manual and discovered dat the oil spec designed 4 my engine is SAE 10w-40 sg/cd,which is quite thinner compared to that which i used,and of cos as u know the temperature here in Africa is higher than that of Europe which is the origin of my Mazda,and generally we use SAE 20w-50 here,so u see the first oil i used was actually the wrong oil bcos it is sl/cf-4 which didn't result into cold start smoking and the 2nd oil i used lately for the 2nd servicing is dsame with the sg/cd designated in the mannual which resulted in cold start smoking,so i wuld like u to use ur wisdom and experience to analyse and conclude on my inconclusive research,tanx alot realy appreciate ur undiluted efforts.God bless
Old 13-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
bobkuti

i just found out 4rm the API engine oil service category chart that the sg/cd designated for my car from my car manual is obsolete,comment plz.i want to knw wether if the engine oil of a car is not as thin as it should be during cold start(since it wont circulate fast enough),can it also cause the car to experience cold start smoking?
Old 13-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
TheMAN

Car: .
20W50 IS TOO THICK!!! GET THAT OUT OF THERE!!!

API SG is obsolete.... API SL, SM, or SN are the current standards and supersedes SG... they are MUCH better and they last longer than those old oils... you also don't need to run such thick oils any more for proper protection

just because it's hotter in nigeria than europe, doesn't mean you need to run thick as molasses oil... it gets very hot in the southern US during the summer too, but everyone with older cars still run 10W30 without problems

best oil viscosity to use is 0W30 or 0W40 but they're hard to find.... 5W30 or 5W40 are the next best thing... you want to use those because they flow easier when you first start up your engine in the morning, allowing critical components to get lubricated... they will behave the same as a 10W oil once the engine gets hot, so there's no problem using these oils in any weather!