Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 10-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
Pork Chop Express

Car: 1997 Mazda Astina Hatch
Fog Light Installation (Astina BA 97)

I got a pair of Lantis fog lights second hand and I just recently installed them in my BA 97. I thought it would be easy at the start, but then I realised that it involved taking off the whole front bumper - which in the end seemed straight forward.

Anyhow, the lights are installed, but they are not hooked up. Can anyone help me on how to wire up the lights? I rang Mazda and they said that I need to get a relay. I guess I am just after info about where to put the relay in and the best way to wire it up (location etc). I also got the dash factory fog light switch which I also hooked up. The switch seems to work fine (as in it lights up when the head lights are on), but the in-dash illumination does not come on.

Thanks in advance
Pork Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
i've been told (but never looked myself) that there's a relay that goes in the passenger footwell on the LHS wall that completes the circuit with the factory wiring

Where's Cosmo when you need him? :P

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
ssman
AstinaGT Regular

thats correct it is behind the passenger side kick panel...what about the switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht
i've been told (but never looked myself) that there's a relay that goes in the passenger footwell on the LHS wall that completes the circuit with the factory wiring

Where's Cosmo when you need him? :P
ssman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
ssman
AstinaGT Regular

yes u need to buy th relay from mazda if you cant get it out of the lantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chop Express
I got a pair of Lantis fog lights second hand and I just recently installed them in my BA 97. I thought it would be easy at the start, but then I realised that it involved taking off the whole front bumper - which in the end seemed straight forward.

Anyhow, the lights are installed, but they are not hooked up. Can anyone help me on how to wire up the lights? I rang Mazda and they said that I need to get a relay. I guess I am just after info about where to put the relay in and the best way to wire it up (location etc). I also got the dash factory fog light switch which I also hooked up. The switch seems to work fine (as in it lights up when the head lights are on), but the in-dash illumination does not come on.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Yeah, relay in the foot-well and a switch in the blank spot on the immediate right of the steering wheel. The relay is easy enough I used a headlight relay from a 929 (got heaps of spare 929 parts). Check below for schematic
Old 11-08-2005, 09:23 AM   #6
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Rupewrecht is a Cylon
a what?

<googled> LOL

http://www.cylon.org/

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #7
Pork Chop Express

Car: 1997 Mazda Astina Hatch
Thanks for the replies guys.. I just checked with Mazda and they want $50 for the relay.. They sure get their monies worth. Brand new fog lights from Mazda would have cost $650 EACH plus $120 for the swtich.. I'm just glad (in a very sad way) that someone else smashed their Lantis so I could pick up their lights, brackets and switch for $300.

I'll take a look at the passenger side and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again guys.
Pork Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
ssman
AstinaGT Regular

schematic for climate control

hey cosmo do you have the schematic for the climate control in the lantis as i am looking at buying the whole setup and want to make sure i get everything before i pull my dash apart..thanks shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude
Yeah, relay in the foot-well and a switch in the blank spot on the immediate right of the steering wheel. The relay is easy enough I used a headlight relay from a 929 (got heaps of spare 929 parts). Check below for schematic
Old 12-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #9
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssman
hey cosmo do you have the schematic for the climate control in the lantis as i am looking at buying the whole setup and want to make sure i get everything before i pull my dash apart..thanks shane
Nope. All Mazda stuff sold in Oz is only for the Australian market (_|_). You would need a JDM manual (and someone to read it cos it's in Japaneese).

Seriously though it's a huge job, almost everything under the dash needs to be replaced. I spent hours under the dash with a multi-meter and didn't get it fully working.
Old 14-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #10
ssman
AstinaGT Regular

my mrs is japanese, so even if you get all you need it still wont work properly, i think i will skip it and spend the money on something else. what about the 180k speedo do you need to replace the whole dash pod or can you just replace the speedo and keep the tacho and the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude
Nope. All Mazda stuff sold in Oz is only for the Australian market (_|_). You would need a JDM manual (and someone to read it cos it's in Japaneese).

Seriously though it's a huge job, almost everything under the dash needs to be replaced. I spent hours under the dash with a multi-meter and didn't get it fully working.