Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 22-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
SHANNON
AstinaGT Regular

Car: bg astina 1993
Sohc To Bp

Can i just ask i have my sohc bg if i wanted to change to bp not bpt do i still have to mess with the wiring loom and computer .. just deciding whether or not to sell my car or upgrade a little , not real intrested in bpt
SHANNON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 22-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
womble

Car: BG Astina
Also interested in this as i might be able to get one cheap, also is it easy enough to change over the heads to make a sohc to dohc?
womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
ok now guys...i think easiest and cheapest way to do this is to buy a damaged SP from auctions and swap everythin over... as you need, engine, wiring harness, ecu, drive shafts, hubs, and a few other lil bits and peices...

for me to do the total conversion it was bout $1500-$1700
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
hubs + driveshafts not needed if keep "F" series gearbox in. strong enough for any 100+kW non-turbo BP engine.

you can use the original ecu but you have to keep the smaller original sohc injectors.

personally if i was doing this conversion, i'd be looking and installing a stand alone ecu so you can run the full dohc setup. but you'd be looking at adding $1500-2000 to the conversion costs. but will push the old BP engine well over 80kW with extractors, exhaust and airbox fitted. (something else to be considered into conversion as sohc piping is smaller stock.)

what nathan said about finding a smashed dohc bg is a good idea. you can get all the parts you need and the "G" series box also. or sell the box for $500 to get some money back.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayryry
you can use the original ecu but you have to keep the smaller original sohc injectors.
but you also have to use the SOHC intake..as you can not use the DOHC intake manifold cause of the VICS
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Different TPS I believe and different distributor
Easy enough to work around though
Different bolt pattern to the headers so you would need DOHC headers
And you can run without VICS not optimal for the overall perfomance but doable
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
SHANNON
AstinaGT Regular

ok just to change my first post alittle..

i have made some enquires , if i wanted to by a front cut and change everything over to bpt

i have found someone down here at beenleigh that does lots of performance cars he told me if i got the half cut down to him he will change the whole lot over for 1000$..

is this a good price because i do know of a half cut for 1800 ,so is 2800 a cheap price if i went bpt ..
Old 23-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #8
SHANNON
AstinaGT Regular

i know i should search for this!.but wot type of fuel economy would i expect if i went bpt instead of bp im intrested in drivin responbiliy and not being lead foot?

im just waying up mu options
mazda wreckers want 1200 installed for sohc motor with about 140kms on clock
can have my motor rebuilt for 1600-1700

or get from cut and change everything over for 2800!! umm he said he change gearbox over for me as well as its currently auto..

it seems kinda cheap to me but there is always ****loads of supras skylines type cars goin in and out of this place and theres about 10 little asian men that run the place so i guess they would know what there doin they would prob change it all over within a day
Old 23-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
project.r.racing

price sounds good for what he is going to do. but on top of that you also need to do exhaust at some stage asap.

fuel economy is depandent on alot of things - but as a rough guide, you might be looking at 1-2L extra fuel per 100km.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 23-08-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 23-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #10
SHANNON
AstinaGT Regular

hey they shouldnt be too bad...im only gettin about 300kms to a tank of fuel local driving..which is crap
Old 23-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
project.r.racing

your engine is farked then. cos from a bpt you should be able to get alot more than that. 400-450km maybe. depends on tune/engine/mechanical attachments.

question? - what gearbox is going into your car if conversion happens?
Old 23-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #12
SHANNON
AstinaGT Regular

i have a few options availible to me ..what would you recommend
Old 23-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #13
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANNON
mazda wreckers want 1200 installed for sohc motor with about 140kms on clock
whats a 140km sohc worth
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #14
project.r.racing

Quote:
i have a few options availible to me ..what would you recommend
if going turbo, then a "G" series box would be the go. but that'll cost you more as the half-cut and your car do not have it.
Old 23-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #15
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Quote:
ok just to change my first post alittle..

i have made some enquires , if i wanted to by a front cut and change everything over to bpt

i have found someone down here at beenleigh that does lots of performance cars he told me if i got the half cut down to him he will change the whole lot over for 1000$..

is this a good price because i do know of a half cut for 1800 ,so is 2800 a cheap price if i went bpt ..
It starts at $2800 then you will find out about all the other bits you will need, I have lost count of the number of times people on here think that they can do this for under $3k and then sit back and watch ast the total cost begins to get close to $5k
For example lets start the ball rolling
Has your mechanic told you that a gearbox will cost money and that YOU will have to pay more
You wont even see it coming
Quote:
i know i should search for this!.but wot type of fuel economy would i expect if i went bpt instead of bp im intrested in drivin responbiliy and not being lead foot?
You want economy and you want a turbo
You want to be responsible and you want a turbo
You will not be a lead foot and you want a turbo
How old are you??

Are you also aware that you will need to get it engineered and your insurance will also go up, thats if your current insurer will cover you at all

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$
whoops where did they come from
Old 23-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #16
SHANNON
AstinaGT Regular

If you must no im 32 years old with 2 kids ..and the point was i was waying up the options as i have been a mazda lover for a long time and i was stating that my motor could be gettin a little tired and was looking at options of changing ,i was just asking about fuel economy of the bpt because im only gettin 300kms a tank of fuel out of my motor at the moment and if i could get more 450 kms out of a tank that would be brilliant i just wanted to no how thirsty they were!

my point was if i was gonna pay nearly 2 grand for rebuild or 1300-1400 for second hand motor i mite pay the extra and get the whole lot converted ..

and i dont have to worry about the gearbox im gettin one supplied for next to nothing
Old 23-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #17
project.r.racing

you'll need all the extra bits to go with the gearbox also. make sure you get those too.

batman is right though - these conversions end up costing 20-25% more than initially calculated be the start of the job. no matter how well things are planned. so take that into account also before you decide on what you wanna do.

old sohc + auto would chew the fuel i reckon. if things work out well, you'll have more power + economy. right now you are getting 13.3L per 100km... that's more than a 4.0L V8. i have heard of some BPTs running as low a 9.0L per 100km.
Old 23-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #18
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Personally I am not being a ****e
I am just trying to work out how it is that you want a boosted engine with great fuel economy, can be done but with minimal boost and either an air/fuel controller or standalone engine management system
For example with a Microtech you can shut off the fuel basically when off throttle
I just want people to realise that conversions are NEVER the cheap option and there are always hidden costs
A SOHC auto should still get over 500klm per tank when in a good state of tune
Something you wont get with a BPT, add to that you can still get away with low octane fuel with a SOHC but you really should use premium with a turbo engine
So it will definately cost you more
If you can get a written cost and Guarantee from your mechanic for the money you have mentioned byall means go for it
But dont be surprised if he wont guarantee the costs outlined
Old 24-08-2006, 02:46 AM   #19
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Everything the Bat said is so true

But on the conversion point.
my first words are BUY THE CAR YOU WANT.
YOu want a SP buy it dont' play.
IMO Turbo conversions and build ups are for really HANDS ON PEOPLE.
I my self bought turbo car to start with and Then anything needed doing I payed a guy large amounts of money to do it for me. Why?
because I'm busy fixing everyother persons stuff ups.
Getting the wreaked or front cut is best for any conversion but on cars as olod as BG or even BA's it's not worth it.
In simple terms.
you buy 323 astina NON SP - $500,$1000 sorry but in 2nd hand car yard buying world I can get them that much.
you spend $2000 on the conversion add another 1000 for all the mods and other bits
$4000 spent you have half a SP.
Sp 323 astina's are only $1000 to $1500 non are autos so they don't sell well. Yes they don't sell well. I know for a fact people will pay more for a good auto 323 then any manual SP.
I know of a 323 BG sedan auto's sold same prices as 1st model BA protege sedan manual. - all because it was manula had low k's. the Bg sold at $7800 the BA was priced at $8500 sold at $7500 after advertising at $7999.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote