Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

View Poll Results: HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED IN TURBOING THEIR 1.8 BJ 323
I am very interested 14 48.28%
I am sort of interested 3 10.34%
I would be interested but it is a very expensive way to boost the performance of my car 6 20.69%
I would be interested but am concerned about what it might do to engine or gear box 2 6.90%
I would be interested but i think buying a sports car in the first place is a better option 3 10.34%
I would be interested but i dont think the car would be drivable or be as quick as i want it to be 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2004, 12:28 PM   #101
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hi again Danny,

Quote:
Originally Posted by $IK323
- I have close to 120 000 k's on my car...is this too much k's
it's been well maintained but wondering if it's too large
- want to know if the group is leaning towards the the HB Kit or the SD kit
would prefer the SD kit as it would basically be the same price without the worry of shipping and extra customs cost etc. Also asked my mechanic and he would choose the aust. made product as american cars run off a cleaner fuel than ours.
I'm not so knowledgeable mechanically to give you facts, but I'd hope that any car would be good at 120,000km's for it to work. I think the key is to go a little further with your engine maintainance, ie: regular oil changes every 5,000km and check the plugs/leads occasionally for problems. You'd need to ask a person with a turbo as to what needs attention...
So you know, the current price of the US HiBoost kit is $4,000usd(~$5,200aud) inc. shipping but excluding customs/tax/stamp duty. This is prior to a group buy discount, so it looks hopeful. Street Dreams are asking $8,500 for a refined version to suit the 2.0 FS.
Including yourself Danny there is 3 of us interested in QLD so far, so that is good for us when it comes to time to buy, I would think there would be much stronger interest down south, but we are at a good start already.
And Preeman, we are not excluding SP20s at all, I want to reinforce that! I welcome your ideas in turboing and we are very interested in what you end up doing. Remember there is only 7mm difference in stroke with the 1.8 and 2.0 motors and at the end of the day only a couple of psi between them due to compression and capacity. So pretty much what works for one will work for the other, tuning fuel/ignition maps aside...

Cheers,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:41 PM   #102
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
COURTESY OF HI BOOST FAQ LIFTED OF www.hiboost.com

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is installation difficult?
We provide a very easy to read step-by-step installation manual with pictures for quick reference. Anybody with mechanical knowledge should be able to install it in 8 to 12 hours. No special tools required.

2. What type of fuel is required?
At least 91 octane is required to avoid detonation.

3. Will the turbo reduce the life of the engine?
Since our kit comes with a fully programmed additional ECU, the engine will run with the proper air to fuel ratio regardless of air temperature or altitude. Changing the oil periodically and using only synthetic oil will help your engine last even longer.

4. Is this kit CARB approved?
No. Our kit is for off-road use only, however, since we keep one catalytic converter, the car should pass the test in all 50 states as a LEV (Low Emissions Vehicle).

5. Can I install it in a non-listed application?
The FS engine required for the kit can be found in many cars including the Mazda 626 and Ford Probe. All components of the kit except for the intercooler piping should fit these other makes and models.

6. I have a lot of mileage on my car. Can I install it?
If you have maintained your engine, installing the turbocharger kit won’t be a problem. If not, it is recommended that you have the engine overhauled before installation.

7. Can I upgrade my kit?
Our kit is complete and includes many components that other companies offer as upgrades. We do have optional parts available. These include: Large Bypass Valve, Remote Wastegate Kit, Boost Controllers, Forged Pistons, Steel Rods, a Hi-Torque Clutch, Stainless Steel 2.25"-2.5" Cat Back Exhaust Systems, Boost Gauges and much more.
tidy protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:44 PM   #103
sacah

Send a message via MSN to sacah
Ok, I did a bit of a look when we started this thread, HiBoost was going to come to $6800AUD for a $4000USD HiBoost kit, thats $6800AUD for the kit, import and stamp duty, then ontop of that is manual labour and the upgraded parts.

A Custom job your looking at $10000AUD, or if you want to do it yourself, you can do a custom, not high boost job for about the $5000-$6000AUD...

Insurance, http://www.justcarinsurance.com.au/ offered my car, turboed with a whole swag of accesories, both lookie and performance wise for about $1500per year, and I am 19... So they might be worth looking into...
sacah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:36 PM   #104
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Evo 8
I just got off the phone with pete simpson from SD and he was discussing lowering the price with me...

one thing i can say is that sacah comes close (he's abit under) from the cost of getting the HB kit out here to mod... Pete said add to that the replacement of the F10 with an E6X and the modding, he said its comes out cheaper than the kit but not $6K... i think maybe he's talking around the mid 7's... but he said he'd get back to me with a group buy price, i also told him we need to try and LOCK it in so that people have a price to work towards that doesn't change and he agreed... so i'll get back to everyone as soon as i hear from him...

I had my whole car insured for everything (just cars)...wheels, kit, recaro's, system, turbo, forged internals... everything on the list for $2500 and i fit into the unlimited mods category so the price won't go up if i make more mods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacah
Ok, I did a bit of a look when we started this thread, HiBoost was going to come to $6800AUD for a $4000USD HiBoost kit, thats $6800AUD for the kit, import and stamp duty, then ontop of that is manual labour and the upgraded parts.

A Custom job your looking at $10000AUD, or if you want to do it yourself, you can do a custom, not high boost job for about the $5000-$6000AUD...

Insurance, http://www.justcarinsurance.com.au/ offered my car, turboed with a whole swag of accesories, both lookie and performance wise for about $1500per year, and I am 19... So they might be worth looking into...
To boost or not to boost - http://www.trafficmesh.com
wiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:21 PM   #105
tidy protege

News such as this makes the kit alot more attractive to prospective customers. Thankyou for contacting Street Dreams and it would be greatly appreciated if you can keep us posted.

If posible are you able to provide us with the information about the kit for the 1.8 Litre engine or is it not neccissary to have another kit for the 1.8 litre.

From memory of speaking with Juan from Hiboost they use a smaller faster spooling ball bearing turbocharger, another thing which mus be considered is the position of the plenum chamber, as it is slightly different to how it sits on the SP20 to the 1.8 Litre motor, hence why Injen sell two different CAI kits for the 1.8 and 2.0 litre Engines.

Also can you find out the story concerning intercoolers, as alot of our 1.8 Litre mazdas have different front bars to the SP20,will you need to use a different intercooler and will this mean that you have modify the intercooler piping.

Cheers, Tidy
Old 07-11-2004, 10:21 PM   #106
chicaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredone
-What is the official price for the Street Dreams 1.8 Litre kit?
As i said the ticket price is $8500... although at the time of ordering you will probably find it to be $6500-$8500 depending on the Aussie dollar, the price Haltechs are selling at and shipping... do not hold me to that price as i am not an official employee and things may change, at my last chat with pete today, he was finding ways to make the kits cheaper without sacrificing quality
The $6500 end of the scale looks very attractive. I've noticed recently on msprotege that Juan has just changed the plumbing to the intake manifold and air cleaner on the HiBoost kit, and provided a fancy heatshield aswell. If every Street Dreams kit is imported will this be reflected on your new kits aswell? In an earlier post you mentioned that you needed to modify/replace? the plumbing for our cars to some extent... I'm just wondering how much of the materials in the Street Dreams kit need to be imported in that case if there are extensive changes to the ecu, plumbing and a smaller turbo for the 1.8s... Sounds like you have all the resources you need here locally to make the turbo kit cheaper.

Cheers,
Gav.

The new air intake plumbing to the turbo, allows access to the rocker cover.

Just so you know, this is what $4,000usd looks like...
Old 08-11-2004, 10:11 AM   #107
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
Silly question from a BA owner why does the turbo face the right
hand side and not the left like on earlier cars. Seems to make
for restrictive intake piping ??
Old 08-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #108
tidy protege

im not sure to tell you the truth im pretty sure all the pics i have seen of turboed BJ's turbo face the right hand side, ill ask anton to post a bic of his custom install to to see what his set up looks like.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:04 PM   #109
anton

Send a message via MSN to anton
Here is a pic of my Custom Kit

anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:09 PM   #110
bpt-4w

think most of the kits are taken from rwd cars and slapped on with mods to bring the inlet around.
bpt-4w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:27 PM   #111
DCSR

Car: 2001 Laser
Send a message via MSN to DCSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredone

Any questions ask away and i'll ask them... i can basically answer anythng you have to ask about the astina's / protege's and if i can't i'll speak to street dreams people, and if they can't answer i'll use the other million connections i seem to have made in the last couple of years modding...

Hope i can be of assistance
Will the HiBoost and/or StreeDreams kit fit my 1.8L 2001 KQ laser?

Thats all i want to know so then i can finnaly decide to start saving my pennies now for the kit or save them for a whole "NEW" car.

At this stage, when my N.C.W runs out in Febuary 2005 I'll be doing a C.A.I set up ( as best as can be, no bush mechanics)

Then a 2" CAT back exhaust, until i finnaly decide to Turbo or not. Then i will get Extractors/Headers.

Anything after that that i have planned will be a bonus.

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-11-2004, 06:41 PM   #112
chicaboo

Well, behind that turbo are the ****test looking headers I have ever seen, particulary after seeing the ones on the Mental Addiction Motorsports kits. HOWEVER, this thing takes up next to no room and leaves more space between the radiator and bonnet, so I imagine there is less heat issues aswell.
I don't know if turbos are made as a universal unit, ie: spin in one direction with a 90 degree turn. But using that exact turbo and swinging it around the other way would create monster space issues with the dump and headers (assuming they don't make left/right variants?).
My last guess, the way the impellor spins works better in that direction to draw out the exhaust gasses???

Dave,
Assuming Ford don't take any creative licence on the KQs I think it should be just as straight forward. You would need to ask a mechanic from either camp that knows both well enough to give you a definitive answer. I think any changes might be so minor that you could easily work around them. Only thing I would worry about is the intake manifold being different...

Cheers,
Gav.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:21 PM   #113
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

That turbo looks very IHI WRX in the Hi-Boost Kit. I am sure I heard
it was a VF23. Here is a pic of my VF12 which is same family but non
ball bearing so it definitely goes the other way.

http://www.jynx.au.com/gallery/album...0757.sized.jpg

I think Anton's kit has a much less restricted flow into the turbo than the
HI-Boost and I also like the more tuned length manifold as well than the
cast unit but thats just me.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:44 PM   #114
anton

Send a message via MSN to anton
Hey bigmal just thought id let you know i couldnt view your pic, came up with page not found..
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 12:58 PM   #115
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
go to http://www.jynx.au.com/ and click on the top picture. (The turbo!)

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:09 PM   #116
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Sorry about that the pic I was trying to show was the flange pic to
show the Subaru triangle flange.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:43 PM   #117
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

You were very close bigmal the kit runs a IHI VF-22 an upgrade STI turbo... it has a rating to around 450hp and spools perfectly around 2800... best of both worlds... high flow it for more power and it gets you all you should ever need from the FS-DE

I must step in here and defend the manifold on the HB kit... we tried quite a few different manifold setups on my car before sticking with the HB setup... believe it or not its about a tuned length as it can be in that short space, PLUS... and this is my favourite... on the car it looks factory... i have been stopped for defects countless times and none of the cops even stopped to ask if it was an aftermarket setup (one even owned a modded sp20 and was convinced i had a limited edition turbo version)... cause it is cast it look way too clean to not be factory... i like that alot, as the rest of my car is asking for it, but i don't lose road worthyness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMal
That turbo looks very IHI WRX in the Hi-Boost Kit. I am sure I heard
it was a VF23. Here is a pic of my VF12 which is same family but non
ball bearing so it definitely goes the other way.

http://www.jynx.au.com/gallery/album...0757.sized.jpg

I think Anton's kit has a much less restricted flow into the turbo than the
HI-Boost and I also like the more tuned length manifold as well than the
cast unit but thats just me.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #118
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
i just wish spoolin was still around for you guys. he made a cast tubular manifold. very nice indeed
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:49 AM   #119
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

If you can get a chance look at a greddy MX5 cast manifold. They
droop down and then turn back up and the turbo sits on top much
nicer design but for the SP would go the other way out and then down
and the turbo under I am not aware of a reason the have the turbo
at head height and not down lower on the block.
I would have thought a VF22 was too big they are the largest Subaru
turbo for all out big HP, would have thought the VF23 being a little smaller
and boosts up quicker would be a better for a low boost job. The WRX
boys say they are noticeably laggier. What are you using when HI-Flowing
a VF22 for interest sake ??
Old 12-11-2004, 11:53 AM   #120
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

I think you should ask bora (TDK) how he feels about spoolin stuff.... he got the spoolin kit cause it was cheaper, and ended up paying twice the amount getting it back on the road.... his magical "tubular manifold" warped on average every two days... never felt so sorry for a guy, the whole kit he got was not the greatest took a long while to get it running nice... plus if you can remember the spoolin kit didn't come with an intercooler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
i just wish spoolin was still around for you guys. he made a cast tubular manifold. very nice indeed