Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 27-06-2005, 08:40 PM   #81
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I've only got 3 things left to do, ie: exhaust cam, underdrive pulley, and Microtech. I wouldn't mind a bigger TB and custom intake manifold one day too. Oh, and HC pistons!
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #82
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
well i personally am thinking both the cams, cai,full 2/1/4 mandrel bent exhaust system and enginemanaement i should be good for 100kw at the wheels na.
Old 27-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #83
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I've got a 2.0 cam in as it is, Andrew reckons that's good enough (more lift/duration) when the biggest problem is in the pissy exhaust cam...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #84
preeman80
AstinaGT Regular

Car: SP20 BJII Hatch
well, to say my 2c worth...

I want maybe 120KW~130KW at the wheels, I don't want to boost past 6~7psi, I want to limit my turbo. Keep it from spiking above that limit.

I don't want to do hard launches or races every corner, I just want the power once in a while. I will be nice to my gearbox, no flat changes.

I want full ECU/Management/Electronics redone! Not a boost controller with extra fuel and piggy back with extra fuel dumping. (greedy me says.. I want it all, closed loops? etc)

I don't want to blow my engine.

I don't want to (might have to) replace my clutch right now, would like to delay it maybe 3~6 months after turbo.

I want to upgrade my rear brakes (how did that get in here ).

And I think some of these maybe in the wrong order above.

What I do need is: A fuel pump, fuel reg?, I don't think I will be opting for new injectors at this stage. (Keeping away from the whole internals side right now)

Having said that, what are everyones thoughts?

Last edited by preeman80; 27-06-2005 at 10:04 PM.
preeman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 11:10 PM   #85
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
just to stir the pot a bit more here.... any one thought about WOMP???

andy will tell you more.....
platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 11:37 PM   #86
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Evo 8
preeman80: it sounds right..

clutch: depending on your clutches age it will last a little while at 7psi.. mine had 9,000 on it and i had been nice and it went after about 1 1/2 months, i then got the ACT which lasted sweet f all (like 6 months which is about 1 1/2 years less than it should have been)

fuel pump: you can last without although i recommend it as it places the pump under more load than it was designed for with a higher fuel pressure... get an intank, the people in the states use the walbro although i have had 2 fail on me and am now using a denso one, which i can provide for you if required (comes in 500 and 700hp) and is nearly silent unlike the walbro

fuel reg: a necessity as injectors will hit 100% duty on a cold day at 7-8psi because of barometric correction, so turning the fuel pressure up and re tuning will put them under less strain lowering the chances of an injector locking closed or open (it happens... and under boost it can get scary real quick for your internals if one cylinder stops getting fuel all together) this is a dirty way of doing it but it works and in this case will last and do the job, just makes your idle slightly less than perfect AFR as controlling the injectors at low duty cycle becomes less than exact. however on a side note the fuel lines in our engine bay are quick release gay things, meaning you will have to fit crimp fittings (the olive kind) on the solid lines on the firewall to put fuel line nipples on to run lines to and from the fuel pressure reg (another tid bit of info from the been there done that club)

ECU wise i recommend nothing less than a full ECU not just a fuel management unit as in our weather you will need to pull the timing back under boost to stop pinging on crap gas.

You will need an intercooler no matter how much boost you run (sounds silly but some people do it) and i recommend an oil cooler to help with oil temps and lower the chances of oil burning from the turbo feeds at idle. We have had these sourced locally and both me and bora are running oil coolers and relocation kits (makes it real easy to do an oil change) i can help provide these too if needed.

hope this helps... happy to answer anything else you have on your mind also happy to meet up and show my engine bay for any ideas
cheers
Doug
To boost or not to boost - http://www.trafficmesh.com
wiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 06:30 AM   #87
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
gav - no need for a larger TB on our cars.

womp - loose air cond in australia? no thanks.

clutch - stock, just dont go drag racing!
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 04:24 PM   #88
preeman80
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
womp - loose air cond in australia? no thanks.

uhmm.. ENGLISH?

Doug: Thanks for the info.
Old 28-06-2005, 04:24 PM   #89
preeman80
AstinaGT Regular

Oh yeah, Cooler is something that I already got, so yea, will be running with a cooler.
Old 28-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #90
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Evo 8
i think the translation is that WOMP requires the removal of air conditioning...

i agree with this, i love the fact that i am burning it up, while sitting in my climate controlled environment...lol specially on a hot day... when people in there old skylines etc with busted air con are sitting next to you... never through away the advantages of having a late model car (air con power steering etc)
To boost or not to boost - http://www.trafficmesh.com
wiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 07:04 PM   #91
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
womp = weapon of mass propultion. it's a supercharger designed by supermattyp (previously turbomattyp) on msprotege. it requires the loss of the air conditioning compressor to work. i was just saying there is no way in hell i'd be without air cond in australia (until i get my next car)
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #92
Critter

Car: SP20
Performance Garage in Faulconbridge for the manifold, I can put you onto him.
Has done all the work on Steve Gosbee's amazing MX5 (Auto Salon Top 10, Street Car of the year 3rd place).
Someone I'd trust to do it properly.
Adjustable lowered suspension with monster brakes
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #93
preeman80
AstinaGT Regular

Chris, can you give me the details, I will give them a buzz.. the last heads up for the brakes was great, so i know you will have the good stuff. thanks mate.