Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

View Poll Results: HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED IN TURBOING THEIR 1.8 BJ 323
I am very interested 14 48.28%
I am sort of interested 3 10.34%
I would be interested but it is a very expensive way to boost the performance of my car 6 20.69%
I would be interested but am concerned about what it might do to engine or gear box 2 6.90%
I would be interested but i think buying a sports car in the first place is a better option 3 10.34%
I would be interested but i dont think the car would be drivable or be as quick as i want it to be 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-10-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
Forced Induction with BJ's 1.6,1.8 & 2.0 TURBO's and SUPERCHARGERS

Its clear that there is a mounting interest in people turboing the 1.8 litre motor, so i thought it would be a good idea for people to share what they know about turboing this particular motor, or just any related material about this particular motor.

As my self and a few other people are considering the posible turbo routes for this particular motor. We have all been hearing different and conflicting stories from different people about:

- about safe boost levels
- pricing
- Performance gains
- Posible turbo paths i.e custom or kits (such as Hiboost, Street Dreams etc)

So if anyone can help us please do as it would be a great help.

Also any one who is interested in turboing their BJ 1.8 323 please post your interest on this thread and if you want, please tell us your plans so that we can help you and you can help us. We all know something or someone that could be a great help to some one else with in this community.

Last edited by tidy protege; 20-02-2005 at 11:22 PM.
tidy protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 18-10-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
Mazda_Brian

Car: Soarer Twin Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Mazda_Brian Send a message via Yahoo to Mazda_Brian
Not my car in particular, but a car I will be doing a fair bit of work with, I am looking at getting a substantial amount of power to the wheels (about 220+kw if the gearbox can hold the power).

First step will be to see what condition the motor is in, compression tests, etc to make sure it's been looked after as there's no point working a dead motor (anyone tried to flog a dead horse?).

If all is good, I will be looking down the line of the Garret Roller Ball Bearing turbochargers.

B.
Old 18-10-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
tidy protege

funny you should say that as the kit alot of us are looking at buying will bolt straight on to your car
Old 18-10-2004, 11:26 AM   #4
Mazda_Brian

Car: Soarer Twin Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Mazda_Brian Send a message via Yahoo to Mazda_Brian
links and info on this kit please

I am looking at turbo-charging my own car money allowing) at the same tim as the Astina.

B.
Old 18-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
www.hiboost.com
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #6
tidy protege

one thing i would change if i was to import the hiboost kit would be the engine management set up from the f10 to the e6x
Old 18-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #7
twilightprotege

would definately be worthwhile if you're going to get the ecu upgraded, but the f10 will do fine.

if you're happy to spend the extra doh! then go for the e6
Old 18-10-2004, 02:04 PM   #8
tidy protege

im dont want to spend the extra doh but for a later date its probably an investment if i upgrade the rods i may be to boost a bit more
Old 18-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #9
MR323

Car: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Send a message via MSN to MR323
Right ...

My questions ...

Looking at going everything custom ... just need to know a few things

Will BPT ECU off of KH/KH TX-3 series be compatible, or can it be made to work?

Is exhaust manifold setup same as a BPT motor?

Will a small KF KH series stock cooler, be good enough, or shell out and get something bigger?

I can get most things for a coversion off of a mate, people in SA may know him (SPIKE).

How would i go about getting this all complied? last thing i would want is to be defected then have to rip everything out!

Cheers

Daniel

Its not whether YOU win or lose, Its whether I win or lose!
MR323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 06:37 PM   #10
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Depends what car you have as to which way you should go, since you can't put an engine in your car that's older than the car.
The beauty of these purpose built bolt-on kits is that you don't get stuffed around with reliability issues, that on it's own with worth $$$!

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 08:01 PM   #11
scott

Send a message via MSN to scott
Isn't the hi-boost.com kit is for a 2.0L engine - the SP20.
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 08:03 PM   #12
scott

Will it take a lot of chopping is what I really want to know?
Old 18-10-2004, 08:30 PM   #13
chicaboo

Go here to see an install of the HiBoost first hand. http://public.fotki.com/Pirana/hiboost_turbo_install/
The US Hiboost Kit uses the Haltech F10 that Tidy mentioned, the AU Streetdreans kit uses the E6. I do not have any idea what the differences are? Anyone willing to comment?
These kits will bolt straight onto the 1.8 FP with no problems, the 2.0 FS is just the same engine that's been stroked an extra 7mm. What will be needed to get around this is a different default fuel map to be preloaded onto the Haltech to be tuned in later, and a smaller? turbo so that it may spool quicker...
The biggest differences you are looking at with the Streetdreams kit is the 2.0 produces 210whp @ 8psi with stock exhaust and the 1.8 only 200whp (if you call that only!). As been mentioned many times you really need to consider doing your rods and clutch with that power. In my case having the auto I don't have to worry about that as I would be limited to 5-7psi (approx. 145-160kW) unless I want to go through autos...
And Scott, I did see some cutting necessary for the passage of the intercooler pipes. Does sound scary, me and sharp cutting tools tend to dissagree with each other.

Gav.
Old 18-10-2004, 08:45 PM   #14
scott

That looks like it could be worthwhile, but I don't know if I should do it on mine or swap my car for an SP20 and then do it. But then, if I am changing cars, why not get something already turbo.

Decisions, decisions....
Old 18-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #15
chicaboo

Why would you buy an SP20 to gain 10hp??? And then the SP20 has suspect rods at 210whp, whereas the 1.8 will produce 200whp without breaking rods and will still go harder since it revs higher.
200whp is 200kW at the flywheel! Now, would you rather sit in a poxy 10 year old Nissan from Japan that's sat on a boat for months and maybe even gone for a swim sometime in it's life, or have your nice Astina that's with more mumbo than any other new 4cyl car under $60k?
You could look at from many angles, $20k car with $7 added to turbo, and you're still taking out WRXs over the 1/4 mile... Now how much did he pay for the rex?
Just throwing about some ideas.
Old 18-10-2004, 09:09 PM   #16
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Go here to see an install of the HiBoost first hand. http://public.fotki.com/Pirana/hiboost_turbo_install/
The US Hiboost Kit uses the Haltech F10 that Tidy mentioned, the AU Streetdreans kit uses the E6. I do not have any idea what the differences are? Anyone willing to comment?
These kits will bolt straight onto the 1.8 FP with no problems, the 2.0 FS is just the same engine that's been stroked an extra 7mm. What will be needed to get around this is a different default fuel map to be preloaded onto the Haltech to be tuned in later, and a smaller? turbo so that it may spool quicker...
The biggest differences you are looking at with the Streetdreams kit is the 2.0 produces 210whp @ 8psi with stock exhaust and the 1.8 only 200whp (if you call that only!). As been mentioned many times you really need to consider doing your rods and clutch with that power. In my case having the auto I don't have to worry about that as I would be limited to 5-7psi (approx. 145-160kW) unless I want to go through autos...
And Scott, I did see some cutting necessary for the passage of the intercooler pipes. Does sound scary, me and sharp cutting tools tend to dissagree with each other.

Gav.
The difference between the E6X and the F10 is the X has 4 ignition outputs whereas the F10 has no ignition functions
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #17
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR323
Right ...
Will BPT ECU off of KH/KH TX-3 series be compatible, or can it be made to work?
If you talking about using it to control this kit on an FS motor. No. The later model Astinas use a Wasted Spark setup and also have a different trigger system to what is used in the BP motors. Fuel maps will also be out

If your talking about using this kit on a BP motor, dont waste the money. Get a BPT and do the transplate. Its cheaper.

Quote:
Is exhaust manifold setup same as a BPT motor?
I believe the exhaust ports are bigger on the FS.

Quote:
Will a small KF KH series stock cooler, be good enough, or shell out and get something bigger?
At low boost it would probably handle the job but for the price of cores these days - why bother.

Quote:
How would i go about getting this all complied? last thing i would want is to be defected then have to rip everything out!
Talk to the engineer first, find out what he will and wont certify and follow the RTA guidelines. If its legal in the eyes of the RTA then you will have no problems.
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 09:44 PM   #18
MR323

Car: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Send a message via MSN to MR323
Putting in a BPT is out of the question, im not putting an older engine in this car ...

Im not planning on using a BP-T ECU to control this Hiboost kit, i have no intention to buy the hiboost kit, everything i do will be fully custom, i can do most of the work myself, or i know the right people to do it, so costs should pretty much be the price of parts and a final dyno tune.

I can get GTR (skyline) sized cooler, for about 450.00, so i guess thatll be a better option ... i could probably plumb it myself with the help of a mate handy with piping and a MIG welder.

Cheers for your help ...

Daniel

Its not whether YOU win or lose, Its whether I win or lose!
MR323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #19
tidy protege

Good news i spoke with my mechanic friend last night, and he has agreed to fit my turbo kit when i buy it this time next year. The even better part is that he recently put a bolt on kit on a integra so im pretty confident this guy also he has agreed to wire it up for me so im amped, he has also agreed to fit the new clutch that i will need.

My plans at this point are to import a bolt hiboost kit and have a local exaust shop fabricate a turbo back exaust system.

At this point in time im planning to only run the kit at 7psi boost to ensure the internals are safe.

Post your plans and maybe we all can help each other out
Old 22-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #20
twilightprotege

schweet!!!