Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > Queensland

Old 29-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
QLD/NSW Alternative Easter long weekend event

Hello folks,

For the people that can't attend the Annual Cruise in Victoria at Halls Gap over the Easter long weekend (10th to 13th April), I am proposing something tried and proven for those who are willing to attend an event a little closer to home. And that would be Dorrigo Mountain Resort - some 40 minutes from Coffs Harbour (about 5 hours south of Brisbane going there the long and fun way). Dorrigo is a small quiet community set in the most spectacular and green backdrop you have ever seen! I believe the single best "driver's road" (Waterfall Way) is located only a few minutes from the resort, and it must be driven to get to Coffs Harbour.

This cruise is proposed in good faith and is not to be taken as an opposition to the Annual Cruise in Victoria, and you won't get prizes or awards for attending, save maybe a bear hug from me if I think you deserve it. Seriously though, the rewards come of interacting with your friends and enjoying the experience for what it is. If you are able, I would encourage you to attend Halls Gap purely for the new experience. However, if distance or lack of transport, and potentially a busy location are a problem, I present this event as a viable alternative.

The bulk of activities will be familiar to those who attended the Dorrigo cruise 2 years ago. For this, much credit needs to be given to those whom contributed their participation in putting together the previous Dorrigo function. I am sure we can introduce some new elements into the weekend, and potentially revisit places that were a problem last time due to rain, fog or long term physical impairments. Please feel free to compile a wishlist of activities and things you would like to do over the long weekend. I know there are things we missed last time, and given our previous experience, we can make things flow better and more smoothly this time.

I have spoken to Genie/Jeanie(?) from the resort, and she has advised that bookings must be for 3 nights only over the Easter long weekend. ie: Friday night (rooms available after 2pm), Saturday night, Sunday night, with cabins to be evacuated by 10am on Monday morning. This means you must pay for the full 3 nights, even if you can only attend 1 or 2. I know this will discourage some people, but rest assured their prices are archaic, and you won't notice much of an impact on your hip pocket. It is likely we will mainly use double cabins (2 sleeping areas in the same cabin), but the cabins can be customised on request for up to 6 people. Please post or PM me any questions about accommodation, or ring the resort on (02) 6657 2564.
Prices are still very good given the peak holiday period: http://www.dorrigomountainresort.com...in_prices.html

Last time we had some minor issues with who brought what to eat/drink, and who owed who for it, etc... Since we now know there is a local convenience store, petrol station, pub/motel, leagues club and café open, I'm sure we won't have any problems. Although if you want to bring anything to suit your gourmet tastes (alcohol?), please feel happy to do so. It's likely that we will have lunches and dinners away from base on Saturday and Sunday, but you will need to cater to yourselves for breakfast, in-between meals and snacks. We can certainly have at least one BBQ and or a cooked breakfast over the weekend too. And it is also likely that we will have some individuals wanting to do something different, which is fine. Once again, using the previous Dorrigo function as a successful formula to draw upon.

This cruise is mainly to make up for the lack of an annual cruise last year, and for the QLD'ers who cannot take advantage of the wonderful event happening so far away at Halls Gap in Victoria over the same weekend. This may very well be my last appearance at an annual cruise for a while, so I would very much love to see anyone there from QLD or NSW that is able to attend. If you are interested in attending, please add your name to the list below. If you would rather your attendance be anonymous for whatever reason, PM me, and I will add you to the list accordingly and make the required arrangements for you.

To inspire everyone, here are some piccies from our last Dorrigo function: http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showt...397#post129397

Stay lovely,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
chicaboo

1. Chicaboo

If anyone interested could let me know within the next couple of weeks, we should have no problems booking cabins.

Gav.
Old 30-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
1. Chicaboo
2. Marc & Tash

If you want to know our reason for going instead of Halls Gap, pm me.

Cheers
Marc
Old 31-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #4
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
1. Chicaboo
2. Marc & Tash
2. Kris (Thats Me )
3. Anon. + 1 (tentative)
4. Anon. + 1 (not confirmed)

Ill check Uni schedual but if im out of uni then ill definatley come.

EDIT: Ill see if a friend wants to come, he drives a corolla. He may just come in my car though . If he wants to drive is it ok for him to come tooz?
Ice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
chicaboo

Hi all,

Everyone with a current or past AGT or Ford/Mazda connection is welcome to come on this cruise. Either directly, or by proxy through a friend (Toyotas are fine ). Which cruise you do or don't attend is your own business, as are your reasons why. It's a shame some people feel the need to attend incognito so as not to offend anyone, but that's just how it is I guess. I know there are some people that aren't going to accept this cruise for what it is, but I can't help that. The fact of the matter is that people wanted to go back to Dorrigo, and were unable to go to Halls Gap, and enough people made this known to me to justify organising this event.

I would like for people not to get involved in listing their reasoning for going or not going (particularly if you're not going), as it might send this thread off on a long tangent. I would prefer to know your attendance so we can well book ahead to make sure there are no shortages for accommodation, etc. Also feel free to expand on what you would like to do over the weekend, and would like to get out of the weekend. I will be checking in with the resort weekly to see how their vacancies are going. But a time may come where you have to commit to going, so planning ahead thoughtfully will be much appreciated.

I won't be asking for volunteers to help organise, but I will appreciate any assistance and ideas that are put forward, but I will try to organise as much as I can on my own. If you cater for yourselves financially and with the necessary provisions I mentioned in the first post, the weekend should flow along quite nicely. We might do some things on a whim and just go with the flow. Given this I will look at activities that are flexible, but we might not get to do all of them.

1. Chicaboo
2. Marc & Tash
3. Ice88 (Kris)

Gav.
Old 31-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Ice88

I have the 13–17 April as vacation

ill have a solid answer for you chicaboo tomorrow
Old 31-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
marcs_sp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice88 View Post
I have the 13–17 April as vacation

ill have a solid answer for you chicaboo tomorrow
10th till the 13th of april
Old 31-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
10th till the 13th of april
yes marc thats when easter is but he has holidays on the 13th till the 17th
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
marcs_sp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
yes marc thats when easter is but he has holidays on the 13th till the 17th
the post was edited after i quoted the post... so it came up with the edited post... which was originally "what is the easter long weekend"...

Post a smartarse comment, and you'll recieve a smartarse comment back
Old 31-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Ice88

So the cruise is from the 10th to the 13th?
Old 31-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
chicaboo

That's right, you can check in after 2pm Friday afternoon the 10th, and must be checked out by Monday morning the 13th. There will be cruising a plenty, but this is an event/function. And I will try to incorporate activities accordingly.

Let me start kicking off suggestions:
1. Big Banana.
2. Juan's Café (high risk of getting stabbed by the owner, it's awesome!)
3. Waterfalls, maybe miss the boring ones from last time.
4. Nature walkies (I couldn't do last time).
5. Plantation Hotel.
Old 31-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
marcs_sp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
That's right, you can check in after 2pm Friday afternoon the 10th, and must be checked out by Monday morning the 13th. There will be cruising a plenty, but this is an event/function. And I will try to incorporate activities accordingly.

Let me start kicking off suggestions:
1. Big Banana.
2. Juan's Café (high risk of getting stabbed by the owner, it's awesome!)
3. Waterfalls, maybe miss the boring ones from last time.
4. Nature walkies (I couldn't do last time).
5. Plantation Hotel.
Oh man, that motorbike dude was insane!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
chicaboo

Hey everyone,

There's been some concerning posts in the NSW thread. So I would ask that everyone who is attending publicly or privately asses for themselves as to what reasons you are attending for, and advise me one way or another as to your decision as you see fit. There's no real hurry at this time to confirm numbers, but in the next couple of weeks I will be asking for definite attendees to ensure that the cabins are booked.

Warning: Any posts that derail the direction of this thread will be reported by me until they are edited or removed to my own satisfaction.
Trust me, Dan does not want that. So please contribute in a positive manner, and everyone will be happy.

Cheers, Gav.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
1. Chicaboo
2. Marc & Tash
3. Ice88 (Kris)
4. Ryan + 1.5 (maybe)
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #15
chicaboo

Hi Ryan,

I will be up your way again soon most likely, so we can discuss any special cabin arrangements you might need for your +1.5. I think a normal double cabin might be the go for you and family, as from memory they have a double bed and a bunk bed sort of thing. Which might be ideal for you.

The 6 secret squirrel attendees might want to discuss with me if they are happy to share 4 to 6 ppl in one cabin. Hey, it happened last time with no problems. Bedding arrangements are very flexible with enough notice given, but there were only 6 double cabins available when I asked last week. I will check on availability again tomorrow.

Gav.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
project.r.racing

Peak prices if looking at the website?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #17
marcs_sp20

$210 for 3 nights for 2 people
Old 07-02-2009, 03:18 AM   #18
chicaboo

Hey guys,

I rang up DMR yesterday to get an update on the cabin availability, but I am still waiting for Genie/Jeanie to call me back. I would like to have confirmation of attendance from all attendees by the end of next week (Friday 13th), as that will pretty much be 2 months out from Easter long weekend.

I've got someone who knows the area well that is helping me with suggestions of locations for drives and activities for things to do over the weekend. But as I mentioned earlier, please feel free to mention anything you would particularly like to do.

I will start catching up with the ppl likely to go by phone or MSN this weekend, to make sure everything runs smoothly. Once I have the numbers I will start to work out a driving plan for those who wish to travel together on the way down.

Cheers, Gav.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
project.r.racing

Pet Porpoise Pool, Coffs Harbour
Hogs Breath, Coffs Harbour
Dorrigo National Park, Dorrigo (or is it Bellinger NP?)
Waterfall Way, Dorrigo-Thora (up and down many times)
Dorrigo-Coffs Harbour Rd, Dorrigo-Coffs Harbour (up and down many times)
Go Karts, Coffs Harbour
Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #20
marcs_sp20

you forgot dangar falls ryan dont know bout you guys, but that'll be somewhere we go...