Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > Queensland

Old 29-01-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
[QLD] Cruise to Tamborine and GC Hinterland

Hey guys,

I've had this idea for a cruise for a while, Sacah and I tried it out a few months ago and thought it would make for a good DAY out with activities such as rainforest/bush walks, lunch, hang-gliding/base-jumping, dinner, BWCP, etc...

The cruise:
*We all meet at McDonalds Springwood at 9:00am since most of you know it pretty well already, have a full tank of fuel ready. Leave at 9:30am.
*After leaving Maccas we head down to Mt Warren via Loganlea and Waterford (to avoid hassles with the busy Beenleigh town centre roundabouts). If people want some morning tea there is a place just after Mt Warren, but it is probably easier to fill up the tummies at Maccas before we leave since it is not far after Maccas and a while before the next stop...
*We then drive to Cedar Creek Falls, this is typical QLD bushland/picnic park area with giant 1.5m long Goannas occasionally and niceish waterfalls after a big rain. It has BBQ facilities if you lot are really keen...
*After that we continue up the mountain to Eagle Hights where we arrive to the nice rainforest section of the mountain. There is a lovely walking track (4km roundtrip from memory?) and a resturant if you wish to eat the fancy way... If not there is a heap of places (3) where we can grab lunch at the top of the mountain more affordably...
*Continuing along the top of the mountain we arrive at the lookouts, and the jumping point when the wind is right. Twinkle twinkle little protege has expressed a keen intersted in giving this a go... In any case this is a magnificant photo oppurtunity on a clear day, and even when it's not we can still line our cars up for some Team Grey photos!
*I will have to check it out, but there is a winery up there I think, some of the guys are into that stuff, and it might be nice to have a look at.
*After the winery there is a nice place to pull up and grab some photos with the GC in the background, I will have to check that noone has built any houses in this spot yet!
*We then continue along the top of the mountain for a short while before decending down towards Mudgeerabah/Murrillembah?. This is a VERY STEEP decent, so be warned your brakes will need to be up to scratch and no farking around will be tolerated by me!
*I suggest at this point we check our fuel and grab a nibble and drinks somewhere before proceding on the Hinterland part of the cruise. I'm at a blank at this stage and will need to see where we can connect to the roads we drove on the last Hinterland cruise. I'd like to avoid the dodgy road surfaces we encountered last time early in the piece. But the Hinterland cruise was enjoyed by all last time and I don't think people will mind repeating that aspect of the day from the last time around.
*Hog's Breath was a great chance to sit around and reflect on the day last time, so I think that is something we can look at again aswell. Unfortunately the parking was a nightmare, so something a little easier to orchestrate might be just as good. I don't know the area down there, so please feel free to make suggestions for dinner...

I know it's lame of me to repeat Andrew's Hinterland component on the cruise, but I figure we've done Mt Nebo/Glorious over and over, so it's time to make the drive to the Hinterland something new and fresh for the people who haven't done it before... I believe this will be more interesting for everyone than the hohum highway drive down.
Since there is a few events coming up soon I think March/April might be a good time for the cruise. I'd prefer to cruise on a Saturday since places will be open for business, but I haven't decided on any dates yet. So feel free to put forward some suggestions to work around any special events that might conflict.
I want this to be the most interesting southside cruise we can manage, so I look forward to some enthusiastic responses and suggestions where we can improve the vague areas that I haven't worked out yet. And I really want the Northsiders to get behind this too, there is only me and Dwayne on the Southside, and we still get to the bigger functions when we can. So hopefully this can be a really nice day for all and something new for the Northerners that don't get to see the deep south...

Take it easy,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
CRA23

Car: a helichopter
Send a message via MSN to CRA23
sounds kewl, havent been on a cruze for a while, i got bored last weekend and went for a drive from comera to mt tamborine and back down the other side to nerang, it was fun roads arnt to bad, but most the roads around tamborine have 60km/h limits, and there is a fair bit of traffic from toruists driving slow lookin at every thing.. didnt take long to do the round trip tho but your idea from starting up in brizzy might be more fun(more mountain roads ) keep us posted on dates
Old 29-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
chicaboo

Hi Pope',

It'd be nice if you could make it, if you're against driving up to Springwood, you could always join in at the Hinterland somewhere? But it would be really nice if you guys could run the full length, as I'm trying to expose you lot to something a little new and different from the usual Northern mountain ranges...
The driving is pretty good unless you get stuck behind a truck heading into the twisties at the bottom of the mountain, this can happen sometimes... Generally I think part of the whole Tamborine experience is to take in the scenery, if you do get stuck behind slow pokes it gives you a chance to take advantage of this. Unless it's a truck, then it sucks the big one...
But I really must stress how steep the far south side of the mountain is in a couple of spots. It puts the Samford valley decline to shame, so you will need to be carefull. The regulars all know how to drive, so I won't say anymore about that...
When I'm more organised I'll check out the calendar for some dates and tout about some options, but ofcourse you guys are welcome to do so aswell.

Gav.
Old 29-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #4
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope|z0r
.....but most the roads around tamborine have 60km/h limits, and there is a fair bit of traffic from toruists driving slow lookin at every thing....

sorry!
Old 29-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
i'll be in for whatever, but not for a bit. 1 cruise a month is all i can muster with bub
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #6
chicaboo

No fuzz Andy, That's why I was thinking March might be ok since we have the drags next month. And hopefully I will have the springs, underdrive pulley and corrected AFR by then to test on the mountain drive...

Gav.
Old 30-01-2005, 12:58 AM   #7
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
If you do something on the 12th in the arvo I should have reached Brisbane by then... I'm leaving on the 11th and going to travel as far as we can (not sure where we'll finish yet.) and then do the last leg on Saturday morning....

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 07:21 AM   #8
chicaboo

Hi Chris,

Andrew and I drove back from Newcastle/Maitland on Friday and it took about 9 hours to get to my place at Logan (City before Brisbane) going along the Pacific Highway... If you are keen you can do it one day with a handfull of stops from Sydaney. Ummm, I guess it all depends how far from Sydaney you are?

You meant 12th March right? If so, what I have planned is a very big day and you would need to be somewhereish at 9am to meet us. I guess we could pull back the schedule a bit to accommodate you. It would be fantastic if you could come on this cruise too, because I think the roads and scenery will be something new for you.

Gav.
Old 30-01-2005, 09:15 AM   #9
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
gav he is in albury - on the border between victoria and NSW
Old 30-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
CRA23

Car: a helichopter
Send a message via MSN to CRA23
i just rememberd in march dont have it on the 12th(got exams for uni) and not the weekend of 26/27 as i am recording the blues fest in byron
Old 30-01-2005, 10:07 PM   #11
sacah

Send a message via MSN to sacah
Sounds great, keep me informed so I can express interest then pull out at the last minute...
d-:
sacah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #12
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Gav, I'm in Albury, The trip is about 1500 k's to Brisbane... I've done the trip from surfers to Albury in one day before, however it's not something I want to make a habit of. Anyways this means I'll not be getting to Brisbane until at least midday. I'll know in a week or so and I might always be able to catch up with you guys...

- Chris

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #13
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
im in 8)

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #14
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Im out as I wont be able to attend any cruises for a while as Im working hard to save for my new motor. Those whove driven behind me will know why..........cough...cough!!!!!!!!!
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #15
chicaboo

OK, March is well and truely here now, so I think it's time to ressurect this thread and plan a smashing cruise with activities.
I'd still like to hold this Event on a Saturday so that we can have a nice lunch somewhere, the best way to enjoy Tamborine is to go there when the shops are open and people are jumping off cliffs, which is usually a Saturday... The GC Hinterland part of the day doesn't matter so much, unless you'd all like to follow the day up with a trip to Ho's Breath for dinner at the marina?
Next Saturday the 12th is out of the Question because it's Amanda's birthday. As far as I know the 19th is available, and the 26th is no good for Tim because he has a function is Byron...
So it looks like the 19th March is good, unless you guys want to hold off until the 2nd April. I don't mind doing the 19th if it's not too soon for you other guys?
Now we've got an idea of some dates, put up your thoughts and some suggestions if the 19th is not good for you's.

Take it easy,
Gav.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #16
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
i'd prefer to hold off til 2 april
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #17
chicaboo

Errrr, we might be interupted by the manual conversion at that time? Atleast that's when I'd like to be doing it...

Gav.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:59 PM   #18
323GUY

Car: 323 astina
hey guys i can only do 26th or 2nd as i'm working all other weekends
Old 07-03-2005, 05:24 AM   #19
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
2 nd is good for me too

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #20
chicaboo

OK, 2nd it is then, manual swap will have to wait.
Everyone happy with the 2nd April now?

Gav.