Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 03-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
*blick.

Car: 2001 SP20 Astina
Question Headlight bulbs query

Driving home tonight I just realised that one of my headlight bulbs has blown. Another thing that I also realised on my way home is that I know absolutely nothing about the bulbs or how to change them.

I've had a quick search on the forums and I think I have more questions than answers.

Is there a guide on how to change the headlight bulbs in a 2001 Astina SP20?

I've seen a few terms being thrown around in regards to headlights like 4000K and H3, H7. I think the 4000K refers to the heat and hence colour of the light but what does the H3 or H7 mean?

I just need some nice bright replacement bulbs that will give me good vision in most conditions. Something that will perform the same or better than the original bulbs. No cool colours or HID conversions. From what I've read the Philips Blue Vision or +50's seem to be goers.
*blick. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
Red Frog

Car: My feet :p
heya!

i always replace mine w/ the 50+ ones. just replaced 1 the other day. they're cinch to get in and out. open the bonnet, go to the back of the lights, unclip the wires, pull the large rubber seal out, unclip the metal brackets and wallah the light bulb can be pulled out. make sure NOT to touch the bulb itself, just the pins at the back.

here is the site i buy mine from, but i'm sure you can find them anywhere, i've just neva been bothered to look around. Powerbulbs + it costs nothing for postage, so i save on petrol having to search for them lol i buy the H4 and that's for a BJ1 so i spose it'd be the same for the SP20. Osram Silver Star H4 are the ones i get, but philips also make a pair that are similar. these are the ones that give 50% extra light and uses xenon gas which produces a whiter light than halogen. there is an immediate difference in the brightness of ur headlights.

you can also replace your parkers with the philips blue vision. i've got a couple of packs of these if ne1 wants them, as i get 1 free everytime i order the globes. Philips Blue Vision W5W
Old 04-07-2006, 02:08 AM   #3
*blick.

Thanks for that Red Frog!

Seems like buying from that store is a bargain, especially with the free international shipping and free park lights as well

From what I've read on these forums it can cost anywhere between $60-$80 for the philips blue vision headlight and parklight pack. After conversion into AUD and after my credit card adds on the international currency transaction fee it will still probably be under $35 (edit: for the osram silver star, philips blue vision ~$40)

Is it possible to replace the fog light bulbs on my SP20 as well? If its not much more I might get those as well so that all my front lights match...

Last edited by *blick.; 04-07-2006 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
MAztinA 323

Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DET
Send a message via MSN to MAztinA 323
wait, international currency??... i think any autobarn carries bluevisions (thats where i got mine) and i got them for $60. they should always be $60 unless the price drops for specials.. oh and bluevisions are awesomeLY and come with parkers!!
MAztinA 323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
*blick.

Well I think you should check out the powerbulbs link that red frog posted above. According to the reviews on their website the Osram silver stars and Philips bluevision bulbs are the best options. Osram you cant get in Australia i think.

The prices on their website for H4's are
Philips Bluevision GBP 16.55 = AUD $41.02
Philips Vision plus GBP 15.70 = AUD $38.89

OSRAM Silver Star GBP 13.57 = AUD $33.60

With free postage to your door and a free set of park lights I reckon its a pretty good deal. Even if you do have to pay in pounds sterling and your bank charges conversion fees it still works out cheaper than buying it on special at autobahn
Old 04-07-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
tis cheaper.... i used to stay with the silverstars.... till i got HID's
Old 04-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #7
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

Send a message via MSN to Melbastina
I had crystal visions in mine for a while, got sick of never really being able to see anything. I now have the Philips vision plus globes which are far better, but only marginally better than the stock globes.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blick.
Is it possible to replace the fog light bulbs on my SP20 as well? If its not much more I might get those as well so that all my front lights match...
Shouldn't be a drama, there was a "how to" on that somewhere, I think for memory BlackSP20 got it mastered, but don't quote me on that.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
platypus
living in the past man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbastina
I had crystal visions in mine for a while, got sick of never really being able to see anything.
the single reason i liked the silverstars... light up everything!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
Red Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blick.
Well I think you should check out the powerbulbs link that red frog posted above. According to the reviews on their website the Osram silver stars and Philips bluevision bulbs are the best options. Osram you cant get in Australia i think.

The prices on their website for H4's are
Philips Bluevision GBP 16.55 = AUD $41.02
Philips Vision plus GBP 15.70 = AUD $38.89

OSRAM Silver Star GBP 13.57 = AUD $33.60

With free postage to your door and a free set of park lights I reckon its a pretty good deal. Even if you do have to pay in pounds sterling and your bank charges conversion fees it still works out cheaper than buying it on special at autobahn
okay IF you order these, send an email to the company AFTER you order them telling them you are a member of OzMazdaClub.com and that you are aware there's is a deal where your membership gets 10% off the bulbs lol (thanku james )
so w/ that 10% off it cost me all up: $31.14 for 2 globes + a free packet of the blue visions for your parkers (i didn't get charged int conversion fee cos credit unions rock!). damn cheap as, if every1 reckons they cost $60 at autobarn! yah! always a bargain shoper
Old 04-07-2006, 11:10 PM   #11
MAztinA 323

ohh wow, i never knew crystal visions did taht much damage! i have bluevisions and can see fine, and for my next car i wanted crystals, but if they're not actually that good, maybe not.

do they look blue? ive been seeing a lot of echos and jazzs and civics and other small cars with rather blue lights, would these be them?
Old 04-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #12
Red Frog

the bulbs are blue, but i dunno about when they're on. they mite be, cos i also see blue lites on sum cars. though, i don't tend to look at my headlights when they're on lol
Old 05-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #13
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAztinA 323
ohh wow, i never knew crystal visions did taht much damage! i have bluevisions and can see fine, and for my next car i wanted crystals, but if they're not actually that good, maybe not.

do they look blue? ive been seeing a lot of echos and jazzs and civics and other small cars with rather blue lights, would these be them?
It's kinda hard to tell, the crystal visions are "okay" as long as it's not that dark, or raining/foggy, then you find your self in a bit of a pickle.

If you were only crusin around the city then you'd be able to live with them if you really wanted that look, but yeah, not if you drive out of street lit areas.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #14
*blick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Frog
okay IF you order these, send an email to the company AFTER you order them telling them you are a member of OzMazdaClub.com and that you are aware there's is a deal where your membership gets 10% off the bulbs lol (thanku james )
so w/ that 10% off it cost me all up: $31.14 for 2 globes + a free packet of the blue visions for your parkers (i didn't get charged int conversion fee cos credit unions rock!). damn cheap as, if every1 reckons they cost $60 at autobarn! yah! always a bargain shoper
Thanks for the tip red frog, I just fired them off an email just then.

I'd just like to add that their customer support is excellent. Yesterday when I actually went to my car and pulled the headlight bulb out I discovered that the SP20 actually has different headlight config to the regular BJII's. The guys at Powerbulbs were very quick to respond to my emails and were able to cancel my original order for H4's and take my new order for H7's with no fuss

SP20 has:
Low beam: H7
High beam: 9005
Fog lights: H3

regular BJII uses a single H4 globe per side for both high and low beam, don't know about the foggies

On a side note, the low beam bulb has a little black adapter on the back of it. So if you go to change your low beam bulbs with H7's and find they don't fit it may be because you haven't pulled off the black housing on the base of the original bulb. I've heard of people throwing that part away

Old 05-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
MAztinA 323

wait, can u enlarge those pics? i cant see them very clearly... or do i need stronger glasses to enlarge them.....
Old 05-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #16
*blick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAztinA 323
wait, can u enlarge those pics? i cant see them very clearly... or do i need stronger glasses to enlarge them.....
Is that sarcasm? because the pictures don't fit on my screen . In any case I don't know how to resize them so heres a link if you still want to have a look

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h285/nilo8533/
Old 05-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #17
Melbastina
AstinaGT Regular

Wonder why they went for a different globe???

It's lucky you cottoned on to it...
Old 05-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #18
platypus
living in the past man

leigh! the bulbs are white and clear!!! the blue tinge you can see when they are off is the parkers - which glow bright white, and kill that horrid yellow look
Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 AM   #19
Red Frog

im looking at mine an they're quite blue. and yes, I was talking about the parkers :P
Old 06-07-2006, 01:32 AM   #20
MAztinA 323

kehe, yea sarcasm! lols

it was kinda hard to make it sound serious/sarcastic at the same time...