Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 07-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
gtarone
w3rd.

Car: '01 Nissan 200sx S15
Fiberglassing to install BA HU?

Hi guys, just got a large problem of mine I've been meaning to try and fix.
I've installed a double din head unit, with the help of a mate, this was the best we could come up with.
Basically a surrounding from another head unit, and two wedges of wood to hold it in place (top and bottom), you can see the bottom piece hidden there...

So, is it possible to find someone/somewhere that could install it correctly, and securely, using a plastic bracket or I'll even pay to have it fiberglassed into place. I'd rather have it safe and secure than d1cky and steal-able :P

Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
I can't remember what the frame is like on the Ba.

I did a simple single DIN swap.

I know or I do on most mazdas is create new brakets to adapt to the mqain frame it's what needs to be done.

If you can't do it your self -you need to see a custom audio place.

Firber galss is not the soloution.

You need it a adaptor braket made to hold it secure, with the right screws too you can't steal it wth out taking out the whole Dash.
but it also means when they try they break alot of things - including the head unit
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
gtarone
w3rd.

Interesting, well may have to check out a few places round Toowoomba. Thanks, hopefully if anything was to be stolen my 'full comp' would cover it :P wonder if its better to make it easy once they're in, or make it hard, and let them destroy the dash as well... am i too paranoid? :P
Old 07-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
I'd make a box out of some sheet tin from Bunnings, screw that to the factory plastic supports top and bottom, and screw the HU/screen to the sides/front of the tin.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
gtarone
w3rd.

lol, ah yes, very straight to the point rupe! From my years of DIY experience, i would probably ruin the car, now that im earning money, i'm probably much safer paying someone else to do it! hehe funny thing is if i paid one of my 'trady' mates they would probably do it close to what your thinking of anyway rupe :P

Hmm good ol pickel i got myself into, buyin the head unit first and not checking to see if it would fit...
Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtarone View Post
lol, ah yes, very straight to the point rupe! From my years of DIY experience, i would probably ruin the car, now that im earning money, i'm probably much safer paying someone else to do it! hehe funny thing is if i paid one of my 'trady' mates they would probably do it close to what your thinking of anyway rupe :P

Hmm good ol pickel i got myself into, buyin the head unit first and not checking to see if it would fit...
Or you could always sell the H/U to me . I would go and see how much HI FI Mart and WOW charge to install, or you could just ask for advice...

Marc
Old 09-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
gtarone
w3rd.

hehe believe me marc im almost at that point! but not to worry, i'll try around town! gone are the days of plug and play... well we're they ever here?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
^ i dont know about that deck.

it doen't scream astina to me. it screams creamer in a rice civic or prelude, but not astina.

however back to the point, i think what rupe has in mind will be the most secure and probably the best solution. However if you ever need to remove it, it will make it a bit of work. Probably enough work to put you off from removing it.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
nice unit, fits well with the astina. rup's idea is good, it would also give you a base to work from if you change units. otherwise i've seen double din mounts at autobarn and supercheap that have multiple holes etc you can use to mount it
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
I totally misread the first post when I replied...

are you having a problem where its wanting to tilt all the time? I had to makeup a bracket for the back of my unit so that it stayed nice and flush with the dash, maybe what you could do that???
Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
gtarone
w3rd.

nah marc, everything works tops including tilt! its just not secure, like u just have to pull on it for it to slip out. So didnt have time today to look around, to much renos goin on at home, so next week its my mission

Thank for comment redline, but yeah i just love the fact that its a fancy touch screen, good for selecting an mp3 thats in a big folder, displays about 8/10 songs on screen, so no need to flick through one at a time anymore, but in all honesty i wouldn't buy another sony, brilliant screen quality, low on features.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
i dont know how your install went man, if you fixed it or not, n i cannot see the screen in the photo as it wont load (****ty comp) but if its a double din i had the same problem installing myn n a quick trip to autobarn, chat with the boys in the install bay n $15 later i got my self just wat i needed. a tin sleeve.. make sure that you do go to autobarn as most other places just stared at me blankly when i explained it. northfield had some but refused to sell. just liek what single din units come with. it should fit right in. n its adjustable for different sizes of 2din units. makes job so fukn easy. pop it in to the hole. bend the tags to secure it in place. pop the screen inplace. done. hope this helps