Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > South Australia

Old 02-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
SuperMazdaKart

Car: Familia GTR!
Mazdakhana 0.5, Motorkhana - 12 July 09

Ok maybe not Mazdakhana exactly but Motorkhana still. Next one is coming up.

It's being run at the Big W distribution centre at Monarto as always. Entrants will need a club membership to a CAMS affiliated club & a CAMs L2 non-speed (or a L2 Speed) license. These can be arranged as a one day membership (the MG Car Club is running the 12th July session) for both upon arrival there at about 9:30am for signup & car scrutineering.

This is a cheap entry level motorsport so no need to be super serious or competitive & doesn't depend on having a performance oriented vehicle either, just about any car can have a go & you don't need to have things like a helmet or roll cages. It isn't unusual for even teenage kids who don't even have driving licenses to have a go either. Plus it won't matter at all if you make mistakes, I did the first time I went out, it's really no big deal at all.

Cost is about

$25 entry fee,
$25 one day CAMs license,
+whatever the CAMs affiliated club on the day is charging for a one day membership (shouldn't be more then $25 at the very most)

Ok so heres the usual procedures for these days

*Arrive at the complex & find somewhere to park inside

*Find the entrant sign up desk, get the tests patterns sheet for the day, fill out the entry forms & pay your monies needed. They like exact change, the ladies their drew a star on my form (no-ones done that for me since primary school..) because I had exact change . It will be hugely useful if you know beforehand which class your car fits in & what it's wheel base is Classes - Motorkhana SA

*Use the current free time to do any extra prepping of the car before scrutineering. Tape a coin to the handbrake button, remove unsecured subwoofer boxes etc. Also use the free time to start memorising the test patterns.

*Eventually the scrutineers will come out & ask everyone to form a line queue with their cars. So get in the queue & leave the bonnet/boot/hatch open as the scrutineers will do a basic scutiny check of brake pedal feel, seatbelts, secured battery, glance over engine bay for big leaks, look inside for objects that can be a hazard. If you bought some gardening tools the day before, leave them at home before going to Motorkhana obviously.

*Once scutineering is done, time for practise. The test courts are split in half to allow two cars out at a time. There will be some cones/poles setup out there so practise some techniques & handbrakies. It won't be setup for any of the test patterns so just go in any direction out there.

*Practise is over when the officials call in everyone for a briefing while other officials setup the test patterns. At the briefing the will give all entrants a time card with their Class number. The classes will be split into two sides (one side for each half of the tests court) & then everyone starts lining up in Alpha-numerical of the Class number order for their side. Shoe polish bottles will be passed about to write the class number on the windows.

*The tests are on! For the first run of the test, the entrants pass up their time card to the official that guides them to the starting line. They'll keep the time card at the timing desk, they'll nod or yell out when the entrant can start their test.

*After the first run, get back in queue in the correct order while everyone else has their first run. After everyones had their first run, time for the second run. After the second run the entrant needs to collect their time card. When both sides have finished their two runs, it's time to switch court sides & do the other test pattern again passing them the time card for both runs. Once the current tests are done, time for a break as the officials setup more test patterns.

*Continue on as the day goes till all tests are done or they decide enough is enough & time to go home for dinner.

More details can be found at News - Motorkhana SA

Last edited by SuperMazdaKart; 02-06-2009 at 08:15 PM.
SuperMazdaKart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
02-KQ-LASR
SHO~247

Car: laser kq 2002
im prettty tempted to go, but my car isnt set up for motorsports much...

custom boot install(fibreglass boxes),mazda 3 handbrake rachet,power window motors x 2,power window switches, guage rings

its all gotta go!!!
pm me any offers!!
02-KQ-LASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
all depends on work... but i would LOVE to be at this event...

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
SuperMazdaKart

Yep whichever.

Oh & cars don't need to be setup for motorsports at all. As long as it's reasonably roadworthy it can go on & cars generally won't get out of first gear anyway. Heres a flippen Hyundai having a go.

& yes, there will be some old guys there 02-KQ
Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
SuperMazdaKart

Not long to go now!

Meetup as usual is at the Goodwood Rd/Cross Rd MacDonalds at 8:00am for breakfast, leaving at 8:30am.

Bring it on!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 99 mx5
damn, id come if
1.) my car wasn't so damn new, and stock (and if Saturday wasn't my first time driving a manual, my car!)
2.) if i had a cams license, (planing to fix, waiting for my mate to get me details on the club he's part of)

but ill definitely attend the next one
spenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenaroo View Post
damn, id come if
1.) my car wasn't so damn new, and stock (and if Saturday wasn't my first time driving a manual, my car!)
2.) if i had a cams license, (planing to fix, waiting for my mate to get me details on the club he's part of)

but ill definitely attend the next one
Never wory about your car being stock for a kahna. It's more about control than mods.
My 2 was only a few weeks old when it first experienced handbrake heaven
Old 07-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
SuperMazdaKart

Err, you can get a one day CAMS license of course when you go there. & there are at times even young teens having a go who havn't even got a road license.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #9
SuperMazdaKart

cmon peeps, lokos like there'll be showers/rain on the sunday!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
RedLineResident

ive the got SATURDAY off, and im working the SUNAY!!!!

i am extremely disappointed!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMazdaKart View Post
Cost is about

$25 entry fee,
$25 one day CAMs license,
+whatever the CAMs affiliated club on the day is charging for a one day membership (shouldn't be more then $25 at the very most)
ahhh, $75 thats half an alarm system, think ill wait till im used to my manual, (and can do handbrakies- never tried them, port Adelaide here i come)

besides how embarrassed will i be with the 1.8 BA stock?, are they any good at these events?

Last edited by spenaroo; 08-07-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
RedLineResident

^ yeah man...!

Stiff little chassis, great fun to throw around.
The handbrake - if loose, just needs a bit of tightening and will snap the arse end around extremely well...

don't even underestimate the BA.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
SuperMazdaKart

Pfft, don't be embarassed about what your car is or skill level. Theres been teens who don't have a road license competing in their borrowed grandparents cars (who don't know) or rental cars. Last time there was an older gent in a vintage MG who didn't look to go faster then 30ks.

Who cares how well you do, it's a social come out & try day, not a championship round.

If you want to learn handbrakies, this is an opportunity to do just that as it's legal.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMazdaKart View Post
Pfft, don't be embarassed about what your car is or skill level. Theres been teens who don't have a road license competing in their borrowed grandparents cars (who don't know)
remember the mate i was talking about, yeah that was him in his grannys charade, came 2cnd or 3rd in his division, but his whole family does rally driving

as i said many factors limit me from attending this one but im hell keen for the next one, nothing will stop me,
might post a thread on how to lock your handbrake (or reverse it so the button keeps it on) gotta love drift forums

Last edited by spenaroo; 08-07-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #15
SuperMazdaKart

No-one is going? what a piss poor response from Adelaide once again.

Last edited by SuperMazdaKart; 10-07-2009 at 12:30 AM.
SuperMazdaKart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
Sam_323

Car: 1991 BG Astina w/GTX engine & 1990 Astina SP w/GTX Engine & 1992 Familia GT-R
Send a message via MSN to Sam_323 Send a message via Skype™ to Sam_323
cant go...
had plans already made up.... but did consider canceling at the beginning of the week....
Sam_323 is offline   Reply With Quote