Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 17-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
fork

Car: 2003 Mazda Protege SP20
Quiet Tires

My 03 Mazda sp20 seems to have a lot road noise. I'm under the impression that it could be coming from the tires. I'm only running the stock 16's at the moment with Yokohama Advan's on the front and Yokohama C-drive's on the rear. (the tires that came on the car when i got it) I haven't really driven any other sp20's so I'm not sure whether they are just loud or if it the tires...

The tires will be due soon and I'm looking for a suitable replacement. So what is a good tire to run that will be both comfortable and quiet?

Thanks,
fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 17-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
z100

Car: 2003 Protege Sp20
I run a Kenda in a 205/50 on the stock wheels and don't find them noisy and I'm very happy with the better ride quality versus the smaller size (also quite good price wise). I know directional tires can create a bit more road noise.

As an aside, Iv'e also had the c-drive yokos on one of my older cars, found them to be an excellent tire, been a while so I can't remember if they were noisy.
z100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
The yokos are quality tyres. Look on tirerack for some comparisons. My semi slicks are noisy as. .
Old 17-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
sik astina

Car: Ba 1.8L Turbo astina
Send a message via MSN to sik astina
I'm running Bridgestone MY02 (205/55R16) on our Mazda 3 BL, nice smooth ride and quiet
Old 17-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
BJs are a noisy car - they don't have a great deal of sound deadening.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Yeah As above.

Problem with tyre noise is not the tyre as a majority but the tyre and Road surface.

Some tyres will be brilliant 70% of surface then terrible the other. Other tyres are 50-50 or just shocking all over.

The down side is an some will tell you the stock size - is a select size limited range and mostly semi performance orientated.

Everything is a compromise. I run same tyre on both Lexus and MX-6 a Pirelli P7 (non eco) great performance - sound mid level) I have run the P6 before and even on both cars a very performance type Maxxis'. the P6 is the queiter of the bunch cheaper but lacks grip when pushed - so I still sue them on a Mazda 2.

Tyre makers can't make the perfect tyre. So if noise is an issue. Move to the I think it's 205-50or(45) -16 size _ others will tell you. Choose the tyre suited for comfort.

It's all in the tread pattern. I actually find - the comfort tyres have more initial grip then the performance - especially the directional treads which are traditionally louder. Can't compete at corners or speed but in city use and straight highway no bad when doing the F3 and F6 or what ever they call them now A1 ?.

Also a quick fix is to sound deaden wheel archs'. In some cars/models it was the difference between base and luxury. Mazda did it in the 80's - difference between Deluxe and SUPER DELUXE - was not just the options. Simple deaded ad on's mostly in the rear wheel arch and front foot well.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Doctor Shifty

Car: V6 Hardtop & Outback
I run Toyo Teo tyres, which I chose after searching for something quieter than was on the car when we got it. I used to run Bridgestones on a previous Astina and they sounded like a squealing wheel bearing at 80kph.

I think a lot of the tyre noise comes from having the same size tread blocks all around the tyre and they set up annoying harmonics at different speeds. Some tyres have slightly different size tread blocks around the tyre and they run quieter.
Doctor Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quiet, roadnoise, rollin', tires