Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Motorsports

Old 19-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
Formula 1

i dont know if anyone has noticed the v8 regulations, but i just worked out what the minimum stroke they can run is.

under the new laws the engines are to be 2.4L v8's and the maximum bore is to be 98mm (huge).

so on working that out, the minimum stroke they can run with is 39.8mm that's insane!
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 19-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Ripper323
Carless Bum

Car: whatever I can borrow
Thats how they rev to 16000-17000 RPM. They have massive power, but not much torque in relation to how much power they make.
Old 19-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
twilightprotege

it's actually more to do with the rod ratio and pnumatic (no idea how to spell that) valves that allow them to rev like that (the v8's are going over 20000 in testing)

either way, still amazing
Old 19-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
SehnKhan

Car: .
Want to see the new engine Williams will be using next year? Check out the Cosworth V8 on the dyno at 20,000RPM... Yeehaa!

http://www.cosworth.com/

Apparently the new V8's should see lap times drop by about 5-6 seconds on mid-distance circuits (Silverstone for example).

I liked what was said on the TopGear video Adam downloaded... Pay each driver $20,000 for the seasons. Then give them $1Million for each passing maneuover they complete. Make for more interesting racing
SehnKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
Ripper323
Carless Bum

Car: whatever I can borrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
it's actually more to do with the rod ratio and pnumatic (no idea how to spell that) valves that allow them to rev like that (the v8's are going over 20000 in testing)

either way, still amazing
Yeah they help it to get there, and your "rod ratio" if it is what I think it is, is related to the stroke etc.
The basic design though is still what allows it to rev that high. For example a ships diesel engine has the totally opposite design to a formula one engine, huge stroke and relatively small bore size, equals low revolutions and massive torque. A normal car engine is around "square" which is bore approx same as the stroke. They produce reasonable power and reasonable torque. Then you have a formula one engine, or even a small motor bike engine that has a short stroke and relatively large bore, lots of power, high revs, but not a lot of torque.
Old 19-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
twilightprotege

yeah rod ratio is the length of the conrod vs the stroke. contrary to popular belief, you can have a small bore and big stroke and the engine can rev like no tomorrow. it's all got to do with the rod ratio. same with the small stroke and big bore being rev happy and big hp. it's very general and i guess anyone can change an engine characteristics
Old 20-09-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
yeah rod ratio is the length of the conrod vs the stroke. contrary to popular belief, you can have a small bore and big stroke and the engine can rev like no tomorrow. it's all got to do with the rod ratio. same with the small stroke and big bore being rev happy and big hp. it's very general and i guess anyone can change an engine characteristics
If you look at the www.flyinmiata.com stroker kit for the BP engine the engine is stroked to 1995cc with 8mm longer con rods. This is to maintain revability of the BP engine. I'm no engineer but I'm sure if you googled rod ratio you would find many answers.