Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Motorsports

Old 26-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #41
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo_hunter
how do u do a successful drift without spinning the front wheels like mad and just losing all ability to turn?
Can you define 'DRIFT' in a way that doesn't make me feel like you want to do stupid things on public roads.
Old 26-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #42
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
maccas trays man. its teh only way.
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #43
Beckie
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astra
Send a message via MSN to Beckie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude
Can you define 'DRIFT' in a way that doesn't make me feel like you want to do stupid things on public roads.
sure...
Drift on a track out at QR or something
Old 26-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #44
Beckie
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astra
Send a message via MSN to Beckie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1mo
maccas trays man. its teh only way.
oh yea! Full sick maccas trays bro

*giggles*

Oh i have some stories about those...
Old 26-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #45
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
You cannot - save it for the track!!!

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #46
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

A FWD car can be driven into oversteer. If you accelerate then you can pull the car out of the slide, if you brake then you can put your car into a spin.
Find the middle and you have a basic drift.

Do it on public roads and I hope the police take your licence from you.
Old 26-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #47
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Alot of ppl don't like to call it "drifting" or even "FWD drifting". But alas you can achieve a FWD drive equivelant nonetheless...

Chipa describes it as "hanging the arse out", which to me kind of sells it a little short, as it's quite a bit more involved than that. Dahndi calls it "dragging the arse", which I think conjures the wrong image (of rears locked up, etc), as the back of the car is sliding out past the front on a larger radius turn in a controlled fashion.

Certain someones argued that you aren't controlling the drift with the rear wheels, so it's not drifting. Well on that premice, I guess I'm not truely accellerating, turning and braking in my FWD because I am doing it with the front wheels???

Please...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #48
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus
emergency brakes have pretty hard buttons, what tape would you suggest?
3M Hard Button Tape

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #49
Dingo_hunter

Car: 96 ba astina
Send a message via MSN to Dingo_hunter
Quote:
Do it on public roads and I hope the police take your licence from you.

If i do it on a public road ill give the cops my license in person and pant Coke on myself..... then prepare for some sodomy! how does that sound?
Ive just been curious about the whole concept...
Dingo_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #50
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Alot of ppl don't like to call it "drifting" or even "FWD drifting". But alas you can achieve a FWD drive equivelant nonetheless...

Chipa describes it as "hanging the arse out", which to me kind of sells it a little short, as it's quite a bit more involved than that. Dahndi calls it "dragging the arse", which I think conjures the wrong image (of rears locked up, etc), as the back of the car is sliding out past the front on a larger radius turn in a controlled fashion.

Certain someones argued that you aren't controlling the drift with the rear wheels, so it's not drifting. Well on that premice, I guess I'm not truely accellerating, turning and braking in my FWD because I am doing it with the front wheels???

Please...

Well, it seems it depends on what you call dfifting.

The traditional '4 wheel drift' of sliding the whole car round a corner.

or the 'JDM style drifting' which is all controlled by the power sent to the rear wheels.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #51
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo_hunter
If i do it on a public road ill give the cops my license in person and pant Coke on myself..... then prepare for some sodomy! how does that sound?
Ive just been curious about the whole concept...
It would be irresponsible to say anything about drift technique without any warning. Got to cover my ass.
Old 27-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #52
89sp1.8

Car: bg astina
Send a message via MSN to 89sp1.8
when using handbrake,big thing is not to just reef it on..but to just lightyly pull it up n down to lock the wheels on n off to control how much the arse slides out...
"hypathetical" if u were in middle of nowhere going round n round a round about at normal speed and lightly pullin it up and down,arse end starts to kick out while u steer with other hand contoling direction..

though it is a hypathetical..n not saying this should be done on public roads,n not saying i kondone this..or in otherwords dont try this at home:P etc etc
89sp1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #53
chicaboo

If you need to use the handbrake to FWD drift, stop trying, you're gonna have an accident...
Old 27-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #54
MitchEG
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Cibicu
Actually, using the handbrake is one of the few ways to get your fwd sliding on corner entry (trail braking and weight shift are the others) to initiate a fwd drift. What Gav has been describing in his previous posts as drifting techniques doesnt constitute a drift in my opinion. He seems to be decribing more of a slide/arse drag that is forced by steering inputs to make the rear unstick MID corner....not really drifting.

Now watch me get flamed for this...I am one of the ignorant ones apparently

Last edited by MitchEG; 27-01-2007 at 08:06 PM.
MitchEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #55
chicaboo

Check out this guys work: Keisuke Hatakeyama

http://www.projectaspec.com/goffdrifting.html
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/f...ama_interview/

He uses the "e-brake" briefly, so no doubt it's had the ratchet removed for safer drifting. Personally I prefer weightshifting with a regular road car and a normal handbrake. My car being heavy in the rear helps me too. I find weightshifting smoother and safer from my attempts with each.

I am still yet to be shown by someone how the arse is actually being dragged when it's moentum leads the car on a larger radius, ie: since the rear is on a wider radius it is traveling faster than the front, the front is actually being pushed...

Watch, the videos on the first link, they are nice and small for dialup. I find the choice of ultimate FF drift car to be quite amusing.

Last edited by chicaboo; 28-01-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 28-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #56
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht
Well, it seems it depends on what you call dfifting.

The traditional '4 wheel drift' of sliding the whole car round a corner.

or the 'JDM style drifting' which is all controlled by the power sent to the rear wheels.
I'm not a drift enthusiest, so if i'm wrong here correct me...

I was under the opinion that a drift was sideways into a corner, maintaining the angle of the slide and as much of the speed as possible through the corner, and straight as a die out.

Simple wikipedia search seems to back me up...but also insists that opposite lock is required to make a drift a drift.

It also goes into some FWD drift techniques very briefly.

I've also been told by friends with japanese drift videos that there are a few (mainly exhibition drifters) whos weapon's of choice are FWD's....so all in all it sounds like it can be done.

Obviously a rear wheeler gives you more options.....blipping the clutch to get the wheels to kick out....one wheel off the road in the dirt to kick the wheels out, big power with heavy oversteer to kick the back out.....

Front wheel drive you are limited to power understeer followed by lift off oversteer, handbrake, or the gav technique... but it seems you certainly can get it "drifting" and to a degree maintain the speed such as gav's round about drift (although quite obviously its going to be easier to keep a rwd at speed while sideways)...

Until I read this thread, I have never ever ever ever ever heard of a drifting being defined as spinning the rear wheels... but like i said, i dont follow the drift "scene" and i'm more into powersliding than real drifting.....(bit of tail slap out of scary right handers just to frighten chicaboo)....so correct me if i am completely off the mark..

edit: it would also seem there are many different TYPES of drifts even for a FWD...flicks, switchbacks, power oversteer, and about a dozen more i cant remember...

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 01:09 AM   #57
chicaboo

Wiki Definition: "...When the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle, and the front wheels are pointed in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right), and the driver is controlling this, the car is drifting."

"Drifting outside Japan "officially" began in 1996 with an event at Willow Springs racetrack in California hosted by the magazine Option. Inada, the NHRA Funny Car drag racer Kenji Okazaki and Dorikin (Drift King, Keiichi Tsuchiya), who also gave demonstrations in a Nissan 180SX the magazine brought over from Japan, judged the event with Rhys Millen and Bryan Norris being two of the entrants. The race was won by a Honda Civic."

Last edited by chicaboo; 28-01-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 28-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #58
project.r.racing

stop fighting peoples - gav n greg are correct.
but it ain't drift unless you are sideways at entry... not just mid corner otherwise its power oversteer.

ryan
Old 28-01-2007, 08:30 AM   #59
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Drift pigs can kiss my a$$
I believe real driving to be pushing your car to the very limit of control whilst maintaining zero tyre slip. The kind of cornering that has every ounce of your strength to remain in your seat with full control of your gears and revs, holding tight lines and overall car balance in any sort of weather condition. Keeping your brakes worked to the max by using effective gearing entering corners and smooth yet punishible exit lines and speeds
Thats what FWD racing is all about
I hope I dummed it down enough
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #60
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedbatman
Drift pigs can kiss my a$$
I believe real driving to be pushing your car to the very limit of control whilst maintaining zero tyre slip. The kind of cornering that has every ounce of your strength to remain in your seat with full control of your gears and revs, holding tight lines and overall car balance in any sort of weather condition. Keeping your brakes worked to the max by using effective gearing entering corners and smooth yet punishible exit lines and speeds
Thats what FWD racing is all about
I hope I dummed it down enough
you just explained drifting almost... but add controlling rear slip into it and you got drifting.

ryan