Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 15-01-2004, 11:58 PM   #1
CityEnd

Car: .
amp & subs r in!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ok i just installed the amp and subs i brought like over a month ago?? =P

sounds better then before, but not that much of a difference at first.... me and my friends were expecting earth shattering stuff.. heheh oh well, i was still pleased with the results. the more i drove the more i liked it... can't wait to drive some more =)

4g wire was over doing it, the hole for the amp only fits abt 8g, but it's all good as i plan to split the 4g later on for another mono block amp just for the subs.

but i still have questions... how do i make my subs more 'stealth'? coz if i open my boot, everyone can see the subs so easierly...as i've pointed them to the rear for rear loading.

oh and the clips to hold the plastic thing at the base of the door, where can i get more of those?????? lost one into the hole.. and another one was broken from tthe previous owner..
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 16-01-2004, 07:25 AM   #2
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
For the clips try http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/ You will need to take a sample clip with you to match.
18 Haughton Road, Oakleigh

Good luck
Old 16-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
woohooo !!

i have spare clips , I think. Ur welcome to them if I do have them

( my chrome door sills screw on, not clip on )

I would've put in the distro block for the 4g->8g wire now, just to make less work later on. not a big deal tho.

u may also try turning the subs around to face forwards, to see if it makes it sound a bit better. worth a try
its also worth looking at how the twin subs are set up. are they in series or parallel ? are they sharing the same channel ? are they dual voice coil ?

it may be possible that you can set them down to 2Ohm, presuming ur amp can handle it. That should give them a bit more power
Old 16-01-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
CityEnd

thanks guys,

i'll see if dogo can find his spare ones first, if not then I'll check out that place.

i think the distro block can wait, everything is pluged in and working so that's fine by me.. =) there wouldn't be much work later on anyway, as the bigest job was running the 4g wire from the batt to the boot..

yeah i haven't bolted the sub to the floor yet as I"m still trying differen't position... but to tell u the truth i can't tell the difference.. hehehe i have no idea how to tune the outputs of the amp.... i know what the switchs do, but the changes r only slightly..

the subs r dual voice coils.. the coils r in series and the subs r in parallel. and they r 4Ohm, but it's also possiblle to get 2Ohm if the coils were also in parallel. and yeah they r sharing the same channel(bridged 3 and 4)

how can u find out if the amp can handle it or not?
Old 16-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #5
Dogo

the amp specs / manual should tell u. if u dont have the manual, the web site should have the details
Old 16-01-2004, 04:39 PM   #6
CityEnd

ok the specs does have 2ohms... but it's per channel...., there is only specs for 4ohm when it comes to bridging, so i can't bridge at 2ohm or can i?
Old 17-01-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Dogo

hmmm possibly not worth it without asking someone who knows the amps well - otherwise u could fry ur amp or subs

without looking i've already found 3 clips. so no problems there
Old 19-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
CityEnd

haha sweet! thanx dogo
Old 19-01-2004, 10:27 PM   #9
cgunther

Car: 99 Legnum VR4
Don't know what the inside of your boot looks like with the subs in there, but you could cover the box with a removable speaker grill. Make a wooden frame, and stretch speaker cloth (from Jaycar) over it just like your home stereo speakers. From jaycar you can also buy removable clips.

Most amps are only 2ohm stable. When you bridge two channels together you get 2ohm + 2ohm = 4ohm. To bridge and get 2ohm at the end, you'd need to have a 1ohm stable amp. There aren't too many of them around.
cgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2004, 03:30 PM   #10
CityEnd

thanks for the info cgunther. oh well it doesn't matter... what i have set up is perfect to me atm. the bass is just right, not over powering the other speakers, and the front speakers sound more clearer.
Old 27-01-2004, 04:09 PM   #11
Critter

Car: SP20
if you parallel dual 4s you get 2 ohms, paralleling the 2 ohm subs gets you 1 ohm.

Dual 4s times 2 subs gets you either a 4 ohm load or a 1 ohm, practically nothing will run that bridged and the current draw will be massive. So stick with what you have.

In the meantime strap that sucker down anyway you can, a flying sub in a prang is practcally guaranteed fatal! And it will fly!
Adjustable lowered suspension with monster brakes
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 12:11 AM   #12
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
hey davey. if its at all possible could i pretty please steal 2 clips my front scuff plate is dodgy :P

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #13
Dogo

ill see how many i can find mikey
Old 28-01-2004, 12:29 PM   #14
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
thanks mate
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote